Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do you influence your characters?  (Read 7216 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Do you influence your characters?
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »

That sounds like a dumb question, because obviously you kinda do, since you write them! lol

Anyway, I was just wondering if this happens to you guys too. Despite it being a very angsty story, I usually am in a pretty chipper mood when writing Running Up That Hill. Today I was cranky while writing the second half of a chapter I had started a few weeks ago. I felt it ended up coming out as very bitter, especially the last scene which I had previously planned out but nowhere near as dramatic as it came out. I feel like I have sort of changed the shape of the story and I'm not sure if this would have happened had I been in the normal mood I'm usually in when I write that story.

Has this ever happened to you guys before? Have you ever been in a bad (or good) mood that changed the way you normally write the story? Are you able to separate yourself from the characters enough that it doesn't matter?

Discuss!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Tri

Re: Do you influence your characters?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »

What a great question!  :)

My mood definitely influences how I write at times.  I typically work with a rough outline when I write and I have an idea of how I want different scenes to go, but my moods can affect my writing in the moment.  If I'm writing an argument and I'm in a good mood, then I tend to have a nicer outcome and a resolution...  If I'm in a bad mood, sometimes my characters have a completely unplanned fight.  That being said, though, sometimes I turn to my writing as an escape - from personal drama or scholarly writing - and I try to use happy scenes to cheer myself up or angsty scenes to vent my feelings or goofy scenes to let loose.

It's really interesting to think about this!  Writing is so personal for me and I think I put so much of myself into my stories, including my emotions.  Thanks for bringing it up.  :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »

First of all, I love your Titanic avy!  I may have to copy you and put one of mine up too!

As for your question... yeah, I'm sure that's happened to me before.  Sometimes I'm surprised at the dramatic turns my scenes take; characters start arguing when I didn't plan for them to argue and that sort of thing.  Other times I expect a scene to be dramatic, and then the tension never does boil over.  Maybe it does have something to do with the mood I'm in when I write; I'm not sure.

What used to happen to me - hopefully not so much anymore - is that I would influence my characters to do uncharacterist ic things for the sake of the storyline I wanted to happen, even if it didn't make sense anymore.  Like... certain characters might break up with their boyfriends in completely out-of-character ways because I love a certain song, say Siberia, and don't like songfics, so I incorporate it into my current epic even if doesn't fit, thus ruining the integrity of the character I've spent two years developing.  I learned my lesson and try not to let that sort of thing happen anymore.  It can be hard to separate yourself from your characters, though.

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:20:20 PM »

Thanks! You should definitely put up one of yours! I can't wait to see the movie in 3D :)

You guys both raised interesting points. I definitely do write as an escape at times, but I never truly noticed how much much mood influenced my characters until today. I also tend to have very rough outlines and flesh out the details as I go, but I do usually have a set tone I want for a chapter, and it came out very different than I had planned this time.

Julie, I can definitely relate to having characters do very out of character things. I have shoved things into stories that really don't belong just because I got an idea and decided I wanted to write about it. I also learned from that, and I try to stick to my original outline as much as possible now.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »

I'm not sure whether my mood influences what I write as I don't tend to suffer from bad moods.  I think I'm weird, lol.

I have written things into a story just because I liked an idea though.

Nice avys too, I love that film :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:40:33 PM »

I usually can't write when I'm in a bad mood; I think that's why I don't have more stories of this happening LOL.  Sometimes writing is good therapy, but usually if I'm in a bad mood, I can't focus enough to write, and the writer's block just makes me feel worse, so I've given up on trying LOL.  And I write horribly depressing shit even when I'm in the best mood ever, so yeah, the tone of my stories usually don't reflect my mood in real life LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »

Generally, if I am in a mood of some kind, like Feeing sad, angry or anxious, I find it very hard to write anything so I tend to not write at all. I'm usually nice and calm when I write and I usually write first thing in the morning while my head is clear and before something bad happens to ruin to ruin the rest of my day lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:52:11 PM »

I've come to enjoy writing first thing in the morning too.  Used to be I only wrote late at night.  Still do that, too, when I can.  This is why I'm so unproductive during the school year, because I don't have time to write in the morning, and I can't stay up late to write, so I just don't write at all LOL.  Can't wait for summer.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

I have one story that I am writing specifically when I am upset over certain topics, though the chapters don't really reflect what I am feeling, just writing that story is theraputic.   

Sometimes when I am tired or hungry I do write my characters sleeping or eating, LOL but I'd like that think that is the only thing that seeps into my writing. 

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »

I've also found I enjoy writing first thing in the morning, and I also tend to get my best work out of my weekend morning ritual. :)
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Dreamalittlebigger

• Fledgling
  • Amanda
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »

I think it's the other way around for me. My characters pretty much affect the way I write because I know what kind of people they are. Sometimes, I have to write things that upset me, only because I know that's how they would react in certain situations. Like right now, I'm pretty much immobilized and can't finish a chapter because I'm still in shock about how much of an asshat one of my characters is.
Is that weird?  :D

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:49:34 PM »

I think I influence my characters a bit, depending what I'm going through at the time. However I've noticed I write best either late at night or early in the morning. I always have trouble writing in the evening or afternoon.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:15:57 AM »

I find writing easier in the evening too.  I'm too zombie-like in the morning to be able to focus on writing, lol.

Tri

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »

I usually do my writing at night, then reread it the next morning to make sure things are coherent and flow nicely...  Lately, I've been writing whenever I can squeeze it in amongst work and school and everything, so I've been doing a lot of writing in the morning. 

Going back to the mood and influencing characters topic, though, I find that I'm in the mood to write different types of stuff at different times of day, though...  I think that's why I haven't written any spicy sex scenes lately!  lol  :)  I'm just not inspired to write that sort of thing at mid-day!

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »

I think it's the other way around for me. My characters pretty much affect the way I write because I know what kind of people they are. Sometimes, I have to write things that upset me, only because I know that's how they would react in certain situations. Like right now, I'm pretty much immobilized and can't finish a chapter because I'm still in shock about how much of an asshat one of my characters is.
Is that weird?  :D

Some characters I write affect my mood after I have written certain scenes because I get into "their" heads to write the scene. 

I write mostly at work when I have to be at my computer to work, I open a word document and write some stuff as the day goes on.  I used to write at home but have tried not to let being on teh computer consume me at home like it has in the past. 

Tri, I wrote some of my steamiest sex scenes at work (the peach scene in CP) *whistles*  That was awkward a bit, lol
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: [1] 2 3