Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Oldies but goodies!  (Read 1883 times)

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
Oldies but goodies!
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:17:33 AM »

I'm sure there's a thread out there that lists some old fanfics, but I couldn't find it... and honestly, didn't want to search through all of it! :P Lol. Anywho, thought I'd make a thread (another, if there's already one) for us to post about older fanfic stories we've read, from whom, what it was about and perhaps a link if there still is one. I actually came across this girl's list of her favorite fanfic and the links she provides, it's through the internet archive and makes you able to see some of these old sites and their content.

I was sooo happy when I came across this fic I read YEARS ago! It's called "Lockdown" by Rain or something. It's an AJ story where he is falsely accused of a crime and is punished for it. http://web.archive.org/web/20020919193326/www.angelfire.com/md2/bsblues/lock.html I remember thoroughly enjoying it many years ago, and of course a lot of people know how I don't really care to read stories where the boys' female partners are made up, but I enjoyed this fic so much, I was able to see past that, lol.
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Oldies but goodies!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »

I have a lot of my old favorites archived here: http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/dwlyn/

There are summaries and links there, and all the stories are good!  Lots of great suspense and drama!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 01:29:17 AM »

^one of the reasons why I kept coming back to DS, Julie.... :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:27:52 AM »

Thanks! :)
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 03:00:58 AM »

Bumping this thread because I've spent the past few days immersed in oldies but goodies as I reformat them to convert for my new Kindle so I can read them on that.

I know "Between the Lines" is a favorite of a lot of you on here, it's been brought up before, but I started really rereading that story last night and stayed up till 5 a.m.  It's a story I always say I'm going to reread in April as baseball season's starting up, and then I never do because I 'm too busy or don't have the stamina to read more than a chapter at a time of fanfics anymore.  But as soon as I got back into it, comfy in my bed last night, I remembered why I added it to my favorites list as soon as I finished it the first time.  Such a good story!  Amazing characters, both Backstreet and original, and such an awesome blend of humor and the sad stuff I love.  It's still the best example of an good AU I've ever read.
http://www.tinylittlerumors.net/storycart/btl/index.html

And now for a lesser known, but just as good story... "The Market."  I tend to overlook this one when gushing about my favorite stories, probably for the same reason I tend to overlook more recent stories I've read on AC - I read this one as it was being written, by one of my BFFs; it wasn't one I found on my own and stayed up late to read all in one sitting, so I don't have the nostalgia associated with it that I do with the Where Can We Go From Heres of fanfic.  But I just spent the last 3 or 4 hours betareading every word of it, adding some needed commas, and reposting it on my site that way, solely because it's an amazing story that deserves to be read and appreciated (and I'm a little anal about commas).  But seriously, this story deserves to be in my top five, because it's amazing.  If you haven't read it before, read it.  It's the equivalent of Something Beautiful seven years before there was Something Beautiful.  http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/hosted/market.html

Reading that story reminded me of the difference between writers like me, who can manufacture a very long, well-researched, perfectly-punctuated tearjerker with just the right cliches to make people cry, and writers like Susan, who can create a masterpiece that is beautiful in its short and sweet simplicity.  I'd like to be that kind of writer, though I'm not sure I ever will be.  I'm not sure that kind of talent can be taught or learned.
~Julie

myconfession

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »

Between the Lines was one of my oldie favorites too!