Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do you influence your characters?  (Read 7209 times)

Dreamalittlebigger

• Fledgling
  • Amanda
Re: Do you influence your characters?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »

Tri, I wrote some of my steamiest sex scenes at work (the peach scene in CP) *whistles*  That was awkward a bit, lol

8-) You are officially my hero! I would be blushing all day at work if I tried to do that! :)

I like writing at night myself, it's quieter and keeps me from watching TV for too long. :)

Does anyone here  have a playlist for every story they write? I find that influences my writing too...and helps me get into my character's head and keep my mood on the same level as my story :)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »

I've had a playlist for Chronos Project and way long ago I had one for More Than That.  I have a list of songs that inspire me as I write in general.  If I find a song really strikes a chord with a character or a scene I might replay that song over and over as I write. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Dreamalittlebigger

• Fledgling
  • Amanda
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »

I've had a playlist for Chronos Project and way long ago I had one for More Than That.  I have a list of songs that inspire me as I write in general.  If I find a song really strikes a chord with a character or a scene I might replay that song over and over as I write. 

I love that! I remember reading Chronos Project while playing some Nine Inch Nails and I thought that was the most appropriate background music ever. :) It was great for setting the mood :)

Tri

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »

Tri, I wrote some of my steamiest sex scenes at work (the peach scene in CP) *whistles*  That was awkward a bit, lol

At work?  Wow!  Haha, something about a classroom full of kiddos keeps me from even THINKING about my stories at work...  LOL it's a pain in the butt when I'm really motivated to write a story, though!

Tri

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »

I use music in the background of my writing a LOT.  In Time Has a Way, I was so influenced by different songs that I chose to title every chapter with a lyric.  :)  I have a "writing playlist," but not really separate playlists for each story.  I also have playlists for moods, so when I need to write something sexy or angsty or happy, I put them on and find my muse that way.  MOST of the time it works out, haha...

Dreamalittlebigger

• Fledgling
  • Amanda
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »

I also have playlists for moods, so when I need to write something sexy or angsty or happy, I put them on and find my muse that way.  MOST of the time it works out, haha...

Haha! I know what you mean :) You cross your fingers and hope the music gets you to write something awesome.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »

Lore, I used to write in work too, but the boss I have now is always hovering around and making it difficult :( 

I've never had a playlist for writing, I don't usually listen to anything when I write as I'd get distracted and sing along, then forget what I was writing.  But certain songs have inspired writing.  Tri, I like that idea of a playlist for moods, I'll have to try it.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 04:20:04 PM »

At work?  Wow!  Haha, something about a classroom full of kiddos keeps me from even THINKING about my stories at work...  LOL it's a pain in the butt when I'm really motivated to write a story, though!

Yah I don't have a classroom of kids to distract me from such thoughts.  I stare at a computer screen and research numbers most of the day so my mind wanders... it's not ALL the time I go that direction. My mind wanders to all my stories as I sit here during the day. Being forced to be in front of a computer at a desk helps me focus on my stories, when I don't have to focus on work.  *bad employee*
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

I work in fast food and I also work the overnight, I seem to get ideas while I'm at work. It works out well that way. When I get home in the morning I write a bit. Seems my best time to be creative is early morning or late at night.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

Yah I don't have a classroom of kids to distract me from such thoughts.  I stare at a computer screen and research numbers most of the day so my mind wanders... it's not ALL the time I go that direction. My mind wanders to all my stories as I sit here during the day. Being forced to be in front of a computer at a desk helps me focus on my stories, when I don't have to focus on work.  *bad employee*

I'm also in front of a computer screen all day, and also a bad employee, LOL!  When I'm not working, I'm reading fics in the corner of my screen so the boss can't see :)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »

I think I definitely influence my characters. Karen can attest to this but when we used to write fic back in "the day" (aka high school... omg I'm old) the characters would be SO overwrought. It was just full of drama they would fight CONSTANTLY because we were overdramatic teenagers.

As I grew older and got smarter so have my characters and I find now they use a knowledge that they never would have before.

As far as emotionally I don't know if they do as much. If I'm in a shitty mood I just won't write. I usually have to be in a really positive mood to write. I also sit in complete silence because if I turn on music I'll end up listening to music not writing and I'm not a tv person.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 05:49:49 PM »

I can't write with anything else happening either. I need complete silence.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »

(aka high school... omg I'm old)

oh please ... lol you are not old!

Speaking of fanfics in high school, the boys really first became big (in the US) while I was in high school and so Amanda (Murasaki) and I wrote what we called The Notebook.  We would write in different color pens for each character and pass it back and forth.  I'd have to write based off of what she wrote and vice versa... and yes DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA because of that high school mentality.  that fanfic has been trashed as of, January I think I finally tossed it then.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:01:31 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 10:35:45 PM »

You guys are so brave to write at work! I wouldn't ever... not even on my lunch break lol I'd be terrified of the guys at my work catching me and I'd never, ever live it down!

I still have a binder full of my high school fanfics. It was very much the same as yours, Lore where my friend and I would trade back and forth and write. I don't think I'd ever have the heart to throw them out though. I'll just keep it in my BSB bin haha.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »

I'm in the same boat as Tri as far as writing at work goes - I don't even have time to think about fanfics in the classroom, let alone attempt to read or write them!  Once in awhile, one of the kids will say something that makes me think of something in a fanfic, and that is always good for a private laugh inside my head.  Today one of the kids was reading a book about the state birds, and I heard him laughing with my student teacher about the state bird of Delaware... before she even said it out loud, I thought to myself, "I bet it's the blue hen."  Sure enough... blue hen.  Writing Broken gave me that little tidbit of random trivia; I never would have known that otherwise LOL.

But anyway, props to those of you who can write at work!  I love my job, but sometimes I wish I had a job where I could do things like that LOL.  My summer job in high school was like that, so I've had the experience of reading fanfic at work... just not in a long, long time!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 [2] 3