Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do you influence your characters?  (Read 7161 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Do you influence your characters?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »

As far as music goes, I have a writing playlist of instrumental music - movie scores and classical stuff - that I used to listen to a lot and now just listen to once in awhile.  It depends on the story I'm writing.  Sometimes music helps me get in the mood for the really dramatic or romantic stuff, but lately, it just feels cheesy to me.  I really built up my writing playlist when I was writing Broken and BMS, which are both pretty over-the-top and cheesy... and now I usually write in silence, and my stories are generally less cheesy.  So I think there's a connection there for me.  Also, I found I was ruining certain movies by listening to their scores over and over again when writing certain stories, and now I can't watch certain scenes in said movies without thinking about certain scenes in said stories, which is weird.

I sometimes do make playlists or folders of songs that fit certain stories, but I use them more for inspiration BEFORE writing than while writing, just to get me in the mood.  I can't listen to any song with lyrics when writing, unless I'm just really inspired and on a roll, because I'll just sing along and not write - too distracting!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »

I still have the notebooks of fanfics in my room that I wrote over ten years ago in high school. In fact the early drafts of my romance series, plus the original draft of Figured You Out is among them. (with random drawings in the margins) I look at them from time to time. It brings back awesome memories.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »

You guys are so brave to write at work! I wouldn't ever... not even on my lunch break lol I'd be terrified of the guys at my work catching me and I'd never, ever live it down!

I still have a binder full of my high school fanfics. It was very much the same as yours, Lore where my friend and I would trade back and forth and write. I don't think I'd ever have the heart to throw them out though. I'll just keep it in my BSB bin haha.

It helps that behind me is a window and the person sitting next to me hasn't been here for 2 months and before that my boss sat next to me and didn't care as long as I got my work done. LOL.  I certainly don't ignore work for writing but my work has slow times so I write to keep busy.  I've been writing fanfics at work for ever.. lol.  I worked at a credit union and wrote them between members at my window, I worked at a mortgage company and wrote them during slow points (though there weren't many there) and at my current job, Widow's Walk was written completely at work and many of my newer stories are written here with some written at home heh.

Asfar as my fanfics from high school.  I tried not to throw them out but 14 years is a long time to hold on to something for memories sake.  With cleaning the house with the intent of selling and moving I decided it was time to say goodbye.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:40:52 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Tri

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »

oh please ... lol you are not old!

Speaking of fanfics in high school, the boys really first became big (in the US) while I was in high school and so Amanda (Murasaki) and I wrote what we called The Notebook.  We would write in different color pens for each character and pass it back and forth.  I'd have to write based off of what she wrote and vice versa... and yes DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA because of that high school mentality.  that fanfic has been trashed as of, January I think I finally tossed it then.

Omg...  That brings back memories!  I used to do the whole "pass a notebook" writing thing, too, back in the day.  Then we went to passing a floppy disk back and forth every night, haha...  One time we lost the floppy disk in school and we were SO worried that someone would figure out who wrote the story.  Luckily, I don't think anyone ever found it.  LOL

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »

I never thought to pass a floppy disk! that would have been fun, but the girl I wrote the stories with was my roommate for 3 years in college so I didn't have far to pass at that point, though I was writing and posting my own stuff and she wasn'twriting BSB fanfic anymore at that point. heh.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »

I feel old!  I wasn't even in school when I became a fan.  I didn't even know what fanfic was until 2007-ish, lol

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »

At work?  Wow!  Haha, something about a classroom full of kiddos keeps me from even THINKING about my stories at work...  LOL it's a pain in the butt when I'm really motivated to write a story, though!

What grade do you teach? I know when I taught kindergarten there was not a moment to think about anything....lo l

Tri

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »

What grade do you teach? I know when I taught kindergarten there was not a moment to think about anything....lo l

I'm all over the place, depending on the day.  Haha.  I'm a one-on-one tutor for a number of students from pre-K to 8th grade.  I also sub and I'm observing/researching for my master's thesis right now, so I'm REALLY all over the place.  I'm looking forward to May so I can graduate and get back to my "normal" routine.  This week, I'm on spring break, so it's been a nice "catch up" week for me!

Tri

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 10:45:44 AM »

I feel old!  I wasn't even in school when I became a fan.  I didn't even know what fanfic was until 2007-ish, lol

Haha, don't feel old!  It makes me feel like I've been doing this forever...  I only started posting online in 2007, but I've been writing since I was in middle school!  Eesh...  I don't even wanna tell you how many years THAT is.  lol 
Pages: 1 2 [3]