Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Your Writing...(questions)  (Read 3427 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Your Writing...(questions)
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »

Hey all,
It’s quiet around here again. I’m back with my weird conversation starter questions. LoL.

Your writing

How many stories do you have in progress? Do you plan on ending them this year or soon?

How hard is it to write an ending? Why?

Do you outline or just go with the flow?

What do you think is your best story idea (already written)? How did you come up with it?

Do your story scenes play out like a movie in your head? (LOL)

Have you ever won an award for your writing? What category?

What do you think your readers like about your stories/writing?

Do their reviews inspire you to write more?

Why do you think some people wouldn’t read your stories?

Now that most of the guys are married do you find it harder to write about the BSB?

Do you write them as BSB or in AU?

Name a story of yours that you think we shouldn’t go without reading!!

Alright, I’m done with questions for now. They should keep us busy for a bit. You can add any questions if you want and I’ll be back with more about READING next. Hope you guys answer. ;p

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Your Writing...(questions)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »

Somebody was bored, wow all the questions.  I’ll give them my best shot. Heh.

How many stories do you have in progress? Do you plan on ending them this year or soon?    I have five fanfics that are have been started but are not complete, one series that needs its last story that has been started yet to be complete.   I plan on finishing 3 of the stories and the series this year.   I HOPE to finish my third DOV story…  Wulf’s Bane I go back and forth over if I want to work on it again or not. 

How hard is it to write an ending? Why?  I find it hard to write an ending sometimes because I am not sure if I have tied up all the loose ends before completing it.  What if I finish a story and then a reader brings up a question about something I forgot to include.  Other times I think my endings are sappy. 

Do you outline or just go with the flow? It depends on the complexity of the story.  I have found that outlining my sci fi stories help to keep details straight or to figure out how to lead a chapter but I tend to go with the flow with my other stories.  Outlining has helped with Unwinding Truth too, though I think at the moment we are flying by the seat of our pants and going with the flow until we reach the next point we know from our outline.

What do you think is your best story idea (already written)? How did you come up with it?   Chronos Project, Severed Identities AND Wulf’s Bane. I know I’m egotistical like that.    Okay so two are incomplete but I’ve still started them both.   Honestly my dreams are how I come up with a vast majority of my storylines, no kidding.

Do your story scenes play out like a movie in your head? (LOL)   Sometimes yes, sometimes no. 

Have you ever won an award for your writing? What category?  Back when I first started I would get the award for creative storyline (can’t imagine why) … just recently I got the Felix for Best Sci-Fi story/Author.  It was awesome.  

What do you think your readers like about your stories/writing?  I honestly cannot answer, I think they enjoy it.  No one has ever come out and said my writing is crap.  *shrugs*  I like them though. 

Do their reviews inspire you to write more?  Yes, reviews help keep me going.  I seriously think I finished Chronos Project so much faster than most stories because of the response I got from my readers.  I loved writing that story so much it was so nice to get the response so I wanted to keep getting it.    Empty and Severed Identities (the two I’m working on now) I don’t get nearly as many reviews and though I like them both and will finish them both, I don’t find myself writing them nearly as much.  (that and I’m moving at the end of the month so I don’t have much time)

Why do you think some people wouldn’t read your stories? Cause I write Sci-Fi and AU and those genres are not for everyone. As for my romance stories I don’t know…   

Now that most of the guys are married do you find it harder to write about the BSB?  No, I’ve always ignored the girlfriends/wives for the most part anyway so I just trudge along like they didn’t exist or I give them minor roles as exes or dead spouses or if their husband is minor then they will be in it as their correct role. 

Do you write them as BSB or in AU?   Both… depends on the storyline.  Most of my romance stories the boys are themselves, the sci-fi (MOSTLY) are AU (Severed Identities is not AU, Brian is a BSB… yes… BSB….)   I should give writing an AU romance sometime… lol

Name a story of yours that you think we shouldn’t go without reading!!  Bet you think I am going to say Chronos Project huh? Well though I think that is a good one my heart still likes my unfinished story Wulf’s Bane as my fave, for some odd reason.  But Chronos Project is complete….
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:02:22 PM »

Yay, a survey! Something to procrastinate working with! lol

How many stories do you have in progress? Do you plan on ending them this year or soon?
Posted on the site? One. Not posted on the site? Umm nine. LOL. My plan is to finish three of them this year, including Running Up That Hill.

I don't find it hard to write an ending. Often I really enjoy it and it comes easily as by the time I get there I am sick of the story and ready to move on to the next one!

A little bit of column a, a little bit of column b! It depends on the story. Running Up That Hill I have a timeline of events that have to happen and what other events/dates they are dependent on. Other than that, with that story I very much go with the flow on it.

One of my other in progress stories I have heavily outlined, down to every scene that should happen per chapter. I just sat down one evening and planned it all out.

But usually I go with a very basic chapter by chapter outline (one or two sentences per chapter) and go with the flow!

What do you think is your best story idea (already written)? How did you come up with it?
My best story idea is one that has yet to be posted on the site, and it's the heavily outlined one I mentioned above. I came up with it while in the movie theatre a year ago!

They actually really do.

I got best challenge runner up at the Felix Awards this year. Yay!

I have been told I've got very good characterizati on of the boys. I've also been told that my writing flows really nicely. So I guess those things!

Absolutely!

Well, I guess if you don't read Nick romance you probably wouldn't want to check out a large chunk of my catalogue.  And I can see where people may think Running Up That Hill would be boring, since it sticks to real life and is very much just about the boys and their relationships with each other.

Now that most of the guys are married do you find it harder to write about the BSB?
Nah. The only romantic lead I ever use is Nick, and anytime I write about the others it's just them being bromantic so the wives don't impact it much.

I usually write them as BSB. I think I did one AU as a challenge.

I'll give you a short one! Slightly Off Schedule.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:03:54 PM by Sakabelle »
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »

Yay survey!

If I only count the ones that are online, I have five:  two novels, two collabs, and whatever you want to call Footprints.  Anything else that's unfinished I've pretty much stopped working on, so I don't even consider that "in progress" anymore.  The only one I foresee finishing this year is Song for the Undead.

I don't find it hard to write endings.  In fact, writing an ending is a rare pleasure for me because it takes me so long to finish a story, I don't get to write endings very often!  I spend months, sometimes even years envisioning them, looking forward to them, so when I finally get to write them, it's always exciting.

I usually outline.  Guilty Roads is the only novel I've worked on in recent years that I haven't really outlined, and look how well that's going for me... ha!

I'm not super creative when it comes to ideas; I'm better at taking an idea that's been done before and executing it well enough that no one cares LOL.  I can't think of any one story of mine that I think, "Wow, that was such an original concept!" maybe because I know exactly what inspired it.  I really like the idea for Secrets of the Heart, though... which is sad because I'm not even far enough into that story to have delved into what it's really about.  But I like it because it's a mix of genres and a little more "out there" than what I usually write.  I forced the idea into my head after watching the movie "Awake."  I literally sat on my bed, going, "I want to write a medical supernatural thriller..." and kept thinking until I pieced together the idea for Secrets.  I still love the idea, but I've found that my forced ideas just don't come together in writing as well as the purely inspired ones.

When the writing's going well, yes, definitely.

I have!  I've won in different categories, but my favorites are Best Author because it's an all-around thing and Best Drama/Angst/Tearjerker because it's my favorite genre to write.

I love drama, and my stories are almost always dramatic and suspenseful in some way, so readers who are like me and enjoy that kind of thing enjoy my stories.  My medical dramas attract a certain sect who, like me, are interested in medicine and appreciate medical storylines that seem well-researched and realistic.  Also, my grammar is impeccable!  :P

Absolutely!!!

Some of them are long.  Some of them don't get updated as often as they should.  Some of them are about topics that don't appeal to everyone or hit too close to home for some.

Not in general.  Certain boys (Brian), yes.  But branching out into AU has given me more flexibility there.

Both.  I prefer BSB, but I've come to appreciate AU.

The World Will Know Your Name
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:36:57 AM »

I have to try answering these.... :)

How many stories do you have in progress? Do you plan on ending them this year or soon? Just one, and it will certainly end this year.

How hard is it to write an ending? Why? Ending is not a problem for me cause I work backwards. I think of the ending first then will work the story out to the beginning.

Do you outline or just go with the flow? Go with the flow, usually what my character wants. lol

What do you think is your best story idea (already written)? How did you come up with it? Hmmm The Other Side of Nick Carter? I've only have two fanfics, so I guess I'll go with The other side.

Do your story scenes play out like a movie in your head? (LOL) All the time!  :D and I am disappointed sometimes when I cannot write the scenes the way it played in my head.

Have you ever won an award for your writing? What category? Nope. Not YET! LOL but I was nominated and that alone is a big accomplishment

What do you think your readers like about your stories/writing? Honestly, I dont know. maybe the story.

Do their reviews inspire you to write more? YES!!!!!

Why do you think some people wouldn’t read your stories? They don't like the genre, perhaps. Or maybe my style in writing.

Now that most of the guys are married do you find it harder to write about the BSB? With Brian, yes. Because he only suits to the character of a good husband. lol

Do you write them as BSB or in AU? BSB

Name a story of yours that you think we shouldn’t go without reading!! Of course, The Other Side of Nick Carter. :)

A world without Alex is a wasted space.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:12:20 AM »

I'm gonna take a whack at this lol:

I believe I have 3 stories in progress right now. I do plan on finishing them this year, I am actually close to finishing one of them.

Very hard, because I want to leave the story in a completed sense so that it doesn't leave any questions unanswered. It is hard because I worry that the ending won't come out the way I want it to.

I've never outlined, I never plan ahead when I write, I just go and see what happens. I work a lot so it is hard for me to take the time and outline a story. 

Probably Figured You Out. I don't remember how that story came about, just that I had the idea when I was in high school and never used it until I decided to post it at AC. 

Yeah sometimes they do. Usually when I finish writing up a chapter I read it and then see if I can picture it in my head, just as if I was reading it and not being the writer.

I won Best Suspense  for Figured You Out and Runner up for Best Suspense Author at the Felix Awards this year.

From what people have said (not to sound egotistical) I write Nick in a realistic fashion and that they liked I write him as intelligent and not a bonehead like in some stories (not saying anyone does that, just for example)

They actually do motivate me to write more. I think people misunderstand that it isn't about review count or number of reads for me.....writing is something I love to do and I enjoy reading people's feedback and growing from it. It helps a lot especially for me who doesn't have as much confidence as I should.

I do write a lot of AU and I also update infrequently at times due to my work schedule. So that might be a turn off because I've noticed some people like to read stories that have consistent updates. Although I could be completely wrong on this.

Not at all, I write mostly AU or I write the boys back in the day mostly. I enjoy stories set back in the early years, but I also have written more current things as well.

I write an AU series where Nick is a nightclub performer, Brian a police officer, AJ a tattoo artist, Howie is Nick's manager and Kevin a wedding planner.....an d another AU story called Forces Of Nature where Kevin is a weatherman,  Nick and AJ are storm chasers. I enjoy AU but I also write them as themselves.

I'm sure most have read Figured You Out, but I would love people to check out my romance series or even my new science fiction story "Weird World", basically any of my stories is worth checking out :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »

Yay, I love completing surveys :)

I've got two in progress, Maybe Tomorrow and Unwinding Truth which I'm writing with Lore.  Both of them are nowhere near complete, but I'm sure they'll be finished this year.

I find writing an ending really hard, not sure why, I just do.  They all seem to end a little bit sappy, lol!

A bit of both really.  Like with Unwinding Truth, we discuss where the story is going but then just go with the flow as we type and then email to each other to make sure we are OK with it.  With other stories it's more go with the flow.  I have certain events I know will happen, but then I make the rest up as I go along.

I liked Save A Prayer.  I was watching something on TV and thought I'd love to write something similiar to that, but alter it and make them suffer a little, which I certainly did in some characters case, lol.

Yeah, they do.

At this years awards I won Best AC Challenge, runner up in Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Drama/Angst author.  Last year I won most creative story for Rewind.

I have no idea!  I hope they find my stories easy to follow and enjoyable though.

Getting reviews for a story is great, and I really appreciate it.  I don't know if it makes me write any quicker though, lol.

Like with everything, some people are going to like and some aren't.  You can't please everyone.  I just hope people don't click on my stories and think they are crap, lol.

No, because I hardly ever write their wives/girlfriends into the stories.  I prefer to use made up ones whenever possible.  I don't mind reading stories with the real ones, but I just feel a bit wrong writing about their real families (I know, weird!)

Both really, I love to read and write either.

I had a lot of fun writing Save A Prayer, so I'll say that one.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »

Steph we really do share a brain sometimes. I was reading the answers to your survey and was thinking, yup exactly my thoughts as I read. :)  LOL.   I'm up with UT huh? ooooh I should write.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »

Steph we really do share a brain sometimes. I was reading the answers to your survey and was thinking, yup exactly my thoughts as I read. :)  LOL.   I'm up with UT huh? ooooh I should write.

Yup, we really do share a lot of the same thoughts!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »

I only have one story in progress and I hope to have it finished by Tuesday. We'll see what happens. If I fail miserably at that, I know it'll definitely be finished by the end of this year. Hopefully before the summer.

It's not that hard for me to write the ending. I usually look forward to it since I always see the ending so vividly before I start writing the entire story. My problem is, I generally run out of steam right before finishing up a story like this one for example. I only have two more chapters to write but it's like pulling teeth to actually sit down and force myself to write them.

I always go with the flow. I've never outlined a story.

Probably Shadow Woods. I just decided to really delve into the whole idea of where the woods were. You know when doctors always say "They're not out of the woods yet." When someone is sick. I thought that would make a good idea for a story and that's how it was born. The thought that maybe not out of the woods came from a real place that might not have ever been documented. So, I made it up myself lol

Always. If they don't, I know the scene won't work. lol

I have ben fortunate enough to win many awards during my run as a fanfic writer. I'm especially proud of the best author awards I have won over the years as well as awards for my suspense writing and for Mel's.

I think people like reading about the boys and their interactions with each other. I've been told I portray them realistically which has always been a huge compliment. Maybe a combination of those two things coupled with some comedy and suspense.

I admit when I get a slew of positive reviews from readers who genuinely seem excited for a story, it motivates me to write on it. If I feel like no one is reading it, I tend to lose my self confidence in that particular story and find myself slower to update. These days I need all the motivation I can get since my overall fandom for the boys is waning.

For the same reasons I mentioned above. Most people seem to enjoy romance and having a female in the mix. I've always been more about the boys and their relationship with each other. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

For me it's not so much married but growing up that makes it harder to write about the BSB. As their relationship to one another has changed, it's been harder for me to feel them in my writing.

I write them both but feel more comfortable writing them as BSB.

I would say either Why I'd do it All Again or The Importance of Fly Fishing. In the end, if I could be known for only writing one story I would pick one of those two.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Tri

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:18:12 PM »

I'm so glad you did this, Erika!  :)  I love surveys.

Currently, I have three...  I've been toying around with another couple ideas, but haven't posted anything yet.  We'll see!  Right now, I'm trying to finish my thesis, so I'm trying hard to focus on that and not "fun" writing, but that's nearly impossible it seems!  I hope to finish the three I'm working on now by this summer so I can start some new stuff.

I've always been better at beginnings than endings just because I usually get attached to my characters.  It's pathetic, but I have a hard time wrapping it up in a nice bow and sending it off.  I've never really been a fan of cliched, romantic comedy endings when it comes to what I read, but I find myself doing the "happily ever after" thing a lot, especially since I write a lot of romances.

It depends on the story.  If it's something that spans a great deal of time, I do an outline to keep the timeline straight.  If not, I just write and go with it.  I usually start with a general idea of where I want things to go in terms of conflict, character growth, and ending, but it doesn't always make me stick to it.

Umm...  I'm really happy with how Time Has a Way turned out.  Nick and Lisa were characters that I think were both flawed, but worked well together.  I really enjoyed writing it and it was definitely the fastest story I've ever written and finished.  I wrote the whole thing in about 45 days.  For 67 chapters, I was pretty happy with myself.  It just flowed, which I love.  I came up with it after looking at some pictures of Nick over the years and thinking about all the ups and downs...  Then I started to think about constants in his life and Lisa was born.  lol.  It just went from there!  I don't think it's the most original idea in the world (best friends falling for each other and whatnot), but I liked where it went.

Haha, sometimes!  Occasionally, I'll get frustrated with myself because I can see things happening, but I can't find the words to describe specific gestures or tones of a character's voice.  Drives me nuts!

Yes.  :)  I won a Felix Award for my series, Hearts Don't Lie, and I won Best Romance for "Any Other Way" and Best Unrecognized Author in the Never Gone Awards.

Umm...  I'd hope they enjoy it.  I wouldn't want someone to read my stuff if they hate it, lol.  I'm fortunate enough to have some really devoted readers that have been with me since 2007.  When I took some time off of writing to concentrate on some personal things, I was so lucky that a lot of them came back and started reading my new stuff this past year or so.  :)  I think some people think I'm a little too sex-crazed in some of my stories, though!  To each his own!!  lol.

Absolutely.  Even though I write what I ultimately enjoy and want to write, I am so happy when people respond to it.  I especially love the long, thoughtful reviews that really critique my plots and characters.  Feedback helps me grow as a writer and I really appreciate each and every review!  Knowing that people are eagerly awaiting a new chapter definitely gets my fingers typing faster!

Like I said before, the sexual content definitely turns some people off.  It's understandable .  I know that I have my own preferences and comfort levels, so it's completely cool if people aren't interested in what I have written.  Also, if you're not a Nick fan, I'm guessing my stories wouldn't hold your interest too long considering he's always the main character!

Eh, I don't know.  Since I write primarily about Nick, I don't run into that much of an issue even though he and Lauren have been together for a long time now.  I end up including the Backstreet Boys as minor characters and their wives are usually in there as even more minor roles.  I usually just change up their lives or don't include them.  I think that even if Nick were to get married, I would continue to write him in my own way and not feel the need to write his actual wife out of the story or anything.  She just would be left out of it, if that makes sense, instead of dictating certain plot points (such as a divorce or something).

Both, almost equally.  Even when I write Nick as a Backstreet Boy, I tend to leave the other guys out of the story as much as I can.  It gets so hairy when I write about all of the guys and I feel like I don't do each of the characters justice.  It's more like I'm just writing them in because they're there, more than that I have a meaningful part for them to play.

I'd recommend Time Has a Way for sure!!  I'm hoping that Define Love will also be one that I'll be proud of...  But we'll have to see as it goes!  lol.

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 11:46:28 PM »

Yay you guys are doing the survey! I enjoy reading your responses!! I will answer this tomorrow.

VeeLynn

• Innocent Bystander
    • Dragon Age: Into The Fire
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 01:35:42 AM »

I have one story in progress and yes I've gotten into the habit of not posting until they are almost done or complete.

Endings are hard for me because I like to leave a little mystery so it's the process of figuring what to leave out and what to bring to and end.

I outline the major points I want out of the story and kind of go from there. I'll outline chapter one and then write, when I hit a brick wall  or writers block, I go back and read and write notes on perhaps things I've missed or new idea's spring up.

My best story idea I think is The Guardian Crusade. I love fantasy's so I wanted to write one once I got back into writing fan-fics. Plus I wanted to do something different and there aren't a lot of AU or Fantasy fics out there.

Yeah, sometimes I'll try to play it out in my head so I can maybe get a certain scenic idea or the right description of what is happening.

No I have not.  >:(  :P

That they are descriptive, feels like you're in the story and exiting twists I like to add.

Yes, I don't know if I'm good at writing or if the story is good if no one says anything. lol

I always add romance to my stories, I like writing romance stories, plus I write AU/Fantasy stories so they're not that popular.

No, actually I am not writing BSB fan fiction at all anymore and it's not really because most are married it's because I want expand on genre's and I want to write about the genre I like. Putting BSB in a fantasy land is cool but there's only so many portals, weird bus accidents ect you can do.  Plus, for reasons I'm sure most of you know lawls, I'm not really a bsb fan anymore. But let's face it you write fan fiction this is the place to put your stories. So I'm bringing Dragon Age (a Role Playing video game) Fan Fiction to AC. Not sure if anyone else has DA fan fiction here but there ya go. Also...if I post it over at the actual games Fan Fiction forum I might get murdered, they will cut a bitch if they don't like your writing. lol

I've written them as both. I have my group stories and my fantasy story but now there will be no bsb stories. lol  But now there's Dragons!!!!  :o

My Breathless Mistress I really loved writing that series and it seems to be a readers favourite.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:38:20 AM by VeeLynn »
The writer formally known as ScoobieGang. :D

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 11:14:46 PM »

Lord!  I just started another one about Brian but  I have two I'm posting that are finished.

Well I find myself getting very attached to certain characters so in that sense, I find it hard.

I just go with the flow.

I think Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction because the female lead share a lot of things I've gon through personally. Plus, her telling her story as it happened through fanfiction was something I toyed with for  a long time.

Definitely! :)

Not here but back in the day, I won a few honorable mentions, one best story and a best sex scenefor one that is posted here . The first chapter of High Stakes

I think they like that I 'color outside the lines' where character is concerned.

It's definitely encouraging, no doubt about that but if you're writing because you like to, that shouldn't be your inspiration.

Well, for one, I've moved to a different set of men other than BSB and secondly, I don't always deal with the prettiest of subjects.

Not really. This is just for entertainment and it's not hurting anybody by making one of them more colorful than they really are.

I generally write them as BSB. I've never ventured into the AU realm.  Maybe that's my next challenge :)

Does He Love You? that I co wrote with Tiggerc128 should be on your list!  It's not a BSB story but it is one that I enjoyed writing immensely and am  very proud of!