Welcome > Rules and News

AC POSTING GUIDELINES (site not forum)

(1/20) > >>

julilly:

julilly:
These rules supersede the rules posted on August 16, 2010. As of now this update is the most current.

#7 is the new rule! Please be sure to check your stories and pass word along to writers you know who might not follow us on Twitter or check the forum!

Enforcement of rule #7 will begin April 20, 2012.

colorguard_diva:
I just wanted to say that I think rules are helpful to make AC a productive site. Though I would like some clarifcation about a few of the rules. Thanks for your time.

Rule 5 -- I am fine with an author having more than 2 stories on the Most Recent page when the dates are clearly different days. I also agree that posting 2 stories a day is fair. My concern is those who update those two stories continously all day long. Meaning they post a chapter in the morning, a chapter in the afternoon, and a chapter in the evening. This keeps their story at the very top of the Most Recents page all day long. I do not see how that is being fair to the other writers of AC. It's frustrating when you post your story and not 30 minutes later another writer/writers who''ve already posted twice in the same day, posts another chapter. It has happened multiple times to me and many other writers. I just feel that they are trying to keep their story at the top with no regard to other authors. Just my thoughts and observations on the Most Recent page for the past few months.

Rule 7 -- This new rule just threw me for a loop. I haven't seen any summaries that have caused me concern with their length. I just find it interesting to be bound by a certain amount of sentences. Some stories may take more the 5 to 6 sentences to set up a summary. Look at most books. They have more than 5 to 6 sentences in their summaries, some even have more than one paragraph. I am just curious why this has beccome an issue and would like clarification about it.

mare:
Hey Rachel,

Some of these stories use at least four paragraphs to describe what it's all about. I don't know how it shows up on your page but for me, some of these stories take up half a page all by themselves just with the descriptions and the banners. Both Julilly and I have noticed this and decided it was time to bring it to people's attention.

If your story is well thought out enough, you should be able to describe it within 5 to 6 sentences (which is a lot actually) I mean that's an entire paragraph. That should be more than enough to let us know what a story is about.

So, that's where the rule came from. We were afriad if we didn't implement it soon, we'd be reading entire chapters within a summary.

I get what you are talking about for the constant updating, it is annoying to always see the same stories at the top of the page, but we figured out we can't please everybody. If we start saying no to that then ten other people will complain we're not being fair. Maybe as writers we just need to be more conscience of things like that and realize that everyone deserves a chance to have their stuff at the top of the list and maybe post a chapter, wait a few hours and then post another. Obviously if it gets to the point it's out of control and most people are abusing it, we'll have to really reconsider the rule and revise.

Hope that answered your questions. :)

RokofAges75:
I just wanna point out that I saw SakaSteph tweet about people on fanfic.net posting BLANK CHAPTERS just to bump their stories to the top - apparently that is a common occurrence over there.  Hearing about that makes me glad we have rules to prevent such douchery here... and also that most people on AC (you forum peeps, anyway :)) aren't douches and would never do that in the first place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version