Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: The Second Annual readers challenge! :)  (Read 26664 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
The Second Annual readers challenge! :)
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »

Last summer we did a reading challenge that was pretty successful for the most part. Minus one and a half epic fails!

It's time to try it again!

The challenge is very simple. Read something that you would normally find out of your comfort zone and leave feedback as you read.

We're going to do things just a little differently this time. Authors may submit three different stories that they'd like other people to read. If you are picked to read that author's stuff, you can then choose which of the three stories you'd prefer.

Obviously if you do not have three stories written, list the one or two you have.

You may not submit a story from last year's challenge.

You may not read a story from the same author you read last year.

You MUST leave steady feedback as you go along and by feedback I don't mean "Yay good job!" It should be detailed and designed to help the writer know what it is that you did or did not like. It's perfectly okay to not enjoy what you're reading but be sure to explain why without being rude. I know sometimes there's nothing to say on a given chapter and that's okay but be sure to review at least every other chapter. Don't just wait to the end and leave a huge one.

DO NOT COMMIT to doing this unless you're serious about it. It took me about three months to get over the fact that someone didn't finish this challenge. I kid you not, it boiled my blood for about three months! lmao

If you do sign up for this, you have to be willing to accept what other people have to say about your story, whether it be good or bad. If your feelings get easily hurt, you might want to avoid this. Remember people are reading something out of their comfort zone to begin with.

You do not have to be a writer to participate in the challenge. If you are strictly a reader only, you will be assigned two authors to read instead of one.

Stories you submit must be at least ten chapters long with at least 1,000 words per chapter. Anything less than that wouldn't be much of a challenge for your selected reader.

Please make sure your stories are edited. Your readers job isn't supposed to be to act as proofreader for you.

If this is something you think you'd be interested in, fill out the survey below and post it in this thread no later than May 20th.

The challenge will start in June and go through to the end of August. That will give you plenty of time to read the story.

Have fun and hope to see most of you participating!

~ Mare

Survey to follow in a little bit!

Feel free to post comments and suggestions in here :)

Participants

1) Purpura Lipstick
2) Carter-Orange
3) DelphinaCarter
4) Julilly
5) Mare
6) Rose
7) carterkid
8) Ritz
9) Julie
10) kevmylove
11) simple sue
12) tigger128

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:51:19 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: The Second Annual readers challenge! :)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »

yay!! I can't wait to do this again!  I will be joining... *waits for survey*
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »

Count me in, I enjoyed it last year! *awaits the survey eagerly*

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:56:58 AM »

It'll be in here as soon as I write it up lol eating lunch first
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »

unnacceptable Mare!  AC comes before such trivial things as nourishmet.  ;)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »

Mare, you know how much I wanted to participate in this one. But I'm afraid I can't give my commitment fully because this pregnant lady is busy with work. lol

In a week, how many chapters do we have to read? Or could it be if I wasn't able to read anything this week, I'll just double it next week? would that be acceptable?  ;)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »

You'd have three full months to read the story. How many chapters you should be reading will depend on how long the story is.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »

I hope I didn't forget anything. If I did, be ready to just add on a question or two! lol

Name:

Did you participate in the challenge last year?

If yes, what did you read? (story and author)

Which story of yours was read and who read it? 

What are your favorite genres to read?

Is there anything that you would feel uncomfortable reading?

Give us three of your stories you would be willing to submit to this challenge, complete with links

All of the questions below are about what you like to read to give me an idea how to pair some of you up

Does chapter length matter to you? If yes, what is your preference? Long or short?

Would you be willing to read a story that is not complete?

Does story length matter to you? If so, what do you prefer? (1 - 25 chapters = short, 1 - 50 chapters = middle, 1- 100 chapters = long, over 100 = epically long)

Who are some of the authors you read regularly?

What are some stories you have read in the past year?

Do you regularly respond to feedback or give feedback?

Do you have an author in mind who you would like to try out your stuff?

Comments or questions?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:52:07 PM by mare »

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »

Name:  Lore “Purpura”

Did you participate in the challenge last year?  Yes, yes I did.  

If yes, what did you read? (story and author)  Tooth Fairy … uh it’s not on the site anymore and I can’t remember the author but I believe it was CarterKid.   I also read Stockholm Syndrome and Sinister Devotion though they were not my assigned stories.

Which story of yours was read and who read it?  

Room 438 read by Colorguard_div a

What are your favorite genres to read? I read a bit of everything, I try to be well rounded but I probably read more AU and suspense.

Is there anything that you would feel uncomfortable reading?   Visuals, Slash Visuals, anything with NKOTB ..sorry just not my cup of tea  ((REVISION: I can/will read NKOTB stories, begrudgingly, but I will read them and I promise not to hate on the story because I don't like the characters I will give it an honest shot, promise. )

Give us three of your stories you would be willing to submit to this challenge, complete with links  
Chronos Project   http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10653
Fighting Fate  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10169  
Severed Identities (unfinished)  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10781

All of the questions below are about what you like to read to give me an idea how to pair some of you up

Does chapter length matter to you? If yes, what is your preference? Long or short?  
I prefer middle of the road chapters  … anywhere from 700-3000 words a chapter I can handle. ;)

Yes, since I gave one that was not complete I would also be willing to read someone else’s that is unfinished.

Does story length matter to you? If so, what do you prefer? (1 - 25 chapters = short, 1 - 50 chapters = middle, 1- 100 chapters = long, over 100 = epically long)  
I tend to stay away from long and epically long stories unless I start reading them at the very beginnings.  

Kevmylove
Carter-Orange
I read all their stories, I’ve had quite a bigger variety of authors this year though.

What are some stories you have read in the past year?
Time Has a Way by Tri; Whatever the Night by Mare;  Everything Kevmylove has posted this year;  Forgotten Souls by Tri, Weird World by DelphinaCarter;  Deadline: February 14th by Tri;  Maybe Tomorrow by Carter-Orange, Rewind by Carter-Orange, What Lurks Around the Corner by Mare... there are some short stories in there too

Yes on both parts.  The only time I do not review every chapter is if I am caught up in the story and just HAVE to hit next to continue, but then I will leave a review at the end of the next chapter.    I always respond to my reviews.

No... any author who wants to is good with me.

Comments or questions?  I might have some later but right now I can’t think of anything.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:17:55 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:37:11 PM »

Name: Steph

Did you participate in the challenge last year? Yes

If yes, what did you read? (story and author) I read My Mona Lisa by Summer03, You Give Love A Bad Name by DelphinaCarter and Love This Pain by MyConfession (which wasn't my assigned story but I stepped in after someone else kind of vanished)

Which story of yours was read and who read it?  Games and it was DelphinaCarter who read it

What are your favorite genres to read? I will read most genres if the story appeals to me

Is there anything that you would feel uncomfortable reading? Slash, hardcore graphic sex which doesn't really have a story other than sex, non-BSB stories.  But even though they aren't my thing, I would read them with an open mind

Save A Prayer http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10625&warning=4
Maybe Tomorrow (incomplete at the moment)http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10761
Rewind http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10168

Does chapter length matter to you? If yes, what is your preference? Long or short? I don't really mind about the chapter length, as long as the story keeps me interested

Would you be willing to read a story that is not complete? Yes

Does story length matter to you? If so, what do you prefer? (1 - 25 chapters = short, 1 - 50 chapters = middle, 1- 100 chapters = long, over 100 = epically long) I don't mind either way

Who are some of the authors you read regularly? Julie, Mare, Lore, Erika, Rose

What are some stories you have read in the past year? Curtain Call, Guilty Roads, Remember Me This Way, Chronos Breach, Chronos Project, Fighting Fate, Fight Me, Just One Kiss, What Lurks Around The Corner, Whatever The Night May Bring, The Other Side of Nick Carter, Livin' A Love Song, Song For The Undead, History Repeating...ma ybe a few more

Do you regularly respond to feedback or give feedback? I always leave feedback for the stories I'm reading.  If there are lots of chapters for me to catch up on, I might not review every single chapter, but if I'm reviewing as it's posted then I do.  I always respond to reviews I receive

Do you have an author in mind who you would like to try out your stuff? I don't mind really, I can handle con crit, but not comments like 'you suck' lol
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:57:31 AM by Carter-Orange »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »

YAY! It's nice to see two people already filling this out! :)

My goal is to have at least ten!!

and of course I forgot a question that I am about to add lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »

Name: Tracy (DelphinaCarter)

Did you participate in the challenge last year? Yes I did :)

If yes, what did you read? (story and author) Games by Carter Orange

What are your favorite genres to read? I will read mostly Suspense, Drama, Angst, Comedy, AU...Action/Adventure but this year I've branched out and I read a bit of romance now. I will read anything that has a good storyline.

Is there anything that you would feel uncomfortable reading?

Slash. Its just not my cup of tea.

Figured You Out
http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10232&warning=4

When I Grow Up
http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10595&index=1

Still The One
http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10223&index=1

All of the questions below are about what you like to read to give me an idea how to pair some of you up.

Doesn't matter to me, I am a quick reader :)

Yeah I am!

Nope! I've read some real long ones before, length doesn't bother me much!

Mare, RokofAges75, Rose, Pengi, Evergreenwrite r, I've read some of Tri's stuff lately...and Purpura Lipstick/Carter-Orange's story.

What are some stories you have read in the past year? Song For The Undead, Whatever The Night May Bring, Merry Maid, Time Has A Way, Unwinding Truth, Chronos Project, Chronos Breach, Shipwrecked, Remember Me This Way, Curtain Call, lol I have such a big list, sorry!

Everyone here knows I respond to basically every chapter I read or if I get behind I will leave one after two chapters....bu t I always review. I also try my best to respond to feedback as well.

Kevmylove, I've been wanting to try her stories for a while. Basically anything else as well. I have been branching out this year a lot in terms of what I read.

Comments or questions?

Hoping this year is fun, I had a good time doing the challenge last year and am ready for the criticism....I have matured as a person and author since the last challenge. Bring it on!

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »

adjusted my survey with the new question Mare.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »

Excellent, thanks! I mean I could just go look it up but too much work! lmao

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »

Didn't realize there was a question added.

Last year I submitted You Give Love A Bad Name and it was read by Carter Orange :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9