Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The most popular type of story  (Read 8938 times)

simple sue

• Fledgling
The most popular type of story
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »

My question is why does Nick seems to be the most popular member of the BSB to write whether it be AU or flat out fanfiction?  I have nothing against him, I'm just curious as to why he's so much more fascinating than any other member of the group to work with? I know these are real people we are talking about but  fiction is fiction and we all know this. What makes you choose him over say Brian, Howie or AJ?

VeeLynn

• Innocent Bystander
    • Dragon Age: Into The Fire
Re: The most popular type of story
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »

Cause Nick fans are the most delusional ones?

Hahahaah I'm just kidding. I'm guessing it's just the population.  He is the popular one always was so the percentage of writers who are Nick fans are higher than those who are fans and write about the other guys.
The writer formally known as ScoobieGang. :D

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »

Actually I don't think that's it so much. Nick has layers, he had a lot of issues over the years. You could argue for the longest time Brian's second in popularity to Nick, yet there's usually more AJ stories than Brian ones. Nick's very easy to write as there's many facets to his life and personality. Plenty of stuff to work with. These days Brian's set (unless you go AU), with his wife, son, and beliefs. Great things, but just harder to write out. AJ, with all his issues, you can go deep and play around with it.

Brian is tied with Nick as my fave Backstreet Boys, yet I write more Nick centered stories simply because Nick is easier to write.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »

I agree with Rose, Nick is very easy to write and I find Nick to be very childish.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »

I think everyone has a good point.  Nick has always been the most popular, so it makes sense that Nick stories are most popular among fanfic writers and readers.

I think Nick is also easier or at least more interesting to write than some of the Boys for the reasons Rose mentioned - there are so many different sides to him that we've seen over the years, and he has changed so much as a person.

He is also less settled than the other Boys; he and Lauren may be as good as married, but technically they're not, and so that makes it easier to "get rid of her" to write Nick romance.  He's not close to his family, so it's easy to ignore them in a story too.  He can be wild and free if you want him to be, without going AU or completely ignoring reality.

Nick's not my favorite, but I've come to enjoy reading and writing about him as a main character.  That said, I do wish there were more Brian stories being written that appealed to me; I used to read and write more Brian stories than anything else!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »

Whenever this topic does come up, it usually comes back to the fact that out of all of them, Nick is the least settled down. He seems to be the most relatable to people in the fandom maybe because of his age or just his accessibility to fans. For some reason he's the one boy everyone seems to think they know more so than the others. As everyone has said when it comes to Brian and Howie, they are so set in their lives it's sometimes challenging to find ways to step outside that box and make them still believeable. But I guess, it really depends on the definition of what we feel believable is.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »

Personally I have always written about Nick because he's my favourite. When I first started out writing fan fiction, I was 13 and writing teeny self inserts about Nick... and I just continued writing about Nick. I was never interested in writing anything longer than a one-shot about the others. I tried to start an AJ story once and could never really get into it.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

tiggerc128

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:44 PM »

Not to detract from Terri's question, because it's actually something I wonder about, what constitutes AU? I've always assumed it meant if they aren't the "group".  does them having different wives, no wives, or girlfriends constitute AU?  I ask only because in our stories, we can make them be whatever we want. Even if they are part of the group, they don't HAVE to be married or with kids.  I used to only write Nick.  Then I branched out and started with AJ.  Undoubtedly my two favorites in the group.  Now I've written a story about Brian, and one with Howie and Nick as dual leads, so to speak.  I'm branching out because it's stretching my imagination to new heights. But Nick will always be my favorite to write about. For all the reasons listed above. I think he and AJ are the most complex and easiest. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »

For some reason he's the one boy everyone seems to think they know more so than the others.

That's interesting that you said that because I don't feel that way at all.  Maybe it's because I've always been a Brian girl, but I feel like Brian, for example, is an open book, easy to read.  He is who he is - dedicated to his family and his faith, a comedian, but more conservative than the others in some ways.  I don't feel like there's as many different directions to take a guy like Brian, who has basically stayed the same all these years.

Nick, on the other hand, is more of a mystery to me; I never know quite what to expect from him.  He's shown us so many different sides to himself over the years, and I think that makes him easier to adapt to certain scenarios because there's really no wrong way to write him.  He can be funny, he can be angsty, he can be romantic, he can be an asshole, he can be the hero, he can be the villain, he can basically be whatever you want him to be, and it works!

I see AJ that way too, and maybe that's why he's also more popular than Brian and the other guys in fanfic these days, but Nick is still The Chosen One, so he gets more starring roles LOL.

Howie and Kevin are somewhere in between for me, I think because they're not as out there and open with their personal lives as Brian, but more settled and secure with themselves than Nick and AJ historically have been.

That's my take on it, but that may just be because of who I've paid the most attention to over the years! LOL  I'm sure we all see them different ways just based on our own experiences.

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:09:36 PM »

Not to detract from Terri's question, because it's actually something I wonder about, what constitutes AU? I've always assumed it meant if they aren't the "group".  does them having different wives, no wives, or girlfriends constitute AU?  I ask only because in our stories, we can make them be whatever we want. Even if they are part of the group, they don't HAVE to be married or with kids.  I used to only write Nick.  Then I branched out and started with AJ.  Undoubtedly my two favorites in the group.  Now I've written a story about Brian, and one with Howie and Nick as dual leads, so to speak.  I'm branching out because it's stretching my imagination to new heights. But Nick will always be my favorite to write about. For all the reasons listed above. I think he and AJ are the most complex and easiest. 

That's a good question.  By some definitions, anything that goes outside of "canon" (in our case, reality) would be considered AU.  Personally, though, if they're still the Backstreet Boys, I don't consider it AU.  It's just my preference to stick to reality as much as possible if I'm not making it AU, and I usually prefer reading stories that are that way, too.
~Julie

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »

Okay, I see that you've brought out some very vaild reasons for writing Nick but as you all may know, in the past year, I stepped out of my comfort zone from the boys and started writng the New Kids On The Block.   Not that I dislike Nick but at that point I felt as though all the storylines I could come up with for him had been exhausted. I agree he has a lot of different layers but I think my argument is that  if you really dig deep you can take any one of these wonderful qualities Brian and Howie have and twist it around and I love them both as they are but as in my opening inquiry,  I stated that it is just fiction.  I know Brian and Howie are the deviants  I write them to be sometimes. ;D

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »

Okay, I see that you've brought out some very vaild reasons for writing Nick but as you all may know, in the past year, I stepped out of my comfort zone from the boys and started writng the New Kids On The Block.   Not that I dislike Nick but at that point I felt as though all the storylines I could come up with for him had been exhausted. I agree he has a lot of different layers but I think my argument is that  if you really dig deep you can take any one of these wonderful qualities Brian and Howie have and twist it around and I love them both as they are but as in my opening inquiry,  I stated that it is just fiction.  I know Brian and Howie are the deviants  I write them to be sometimes. ;D

I sort of felt that way too about Nick, that I'd exhausted all my storylines about him. That's part of the reason I started writing a group story.

Of course now that I've done this, I've got three other Nick stories in my arsenal lol

I guess it just all depends on what you like. I enjoy New Kids music enough, but I'm not really into them as a group or as people, you know? My interest in them goes as far as following each of them on twitter, and that's about it. I'm not inspired by them or interested in digging into their personalities at all. Just because they've formed this NKOTBSB super group doesn't really mean they're part of BSB, because to me they're really not. The groups are still very much separate in my mind.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »

That's how I started to feel about Brian, that I'd exhausted all my story ideas for him because I wrote a ton of Brian stories when I first started writing fanfic.  Now that I've discovered the power of AU, I have fresh new Brian ideas.  I still tend to stick with Nick or AJ (or the whole group) for BSB-centered stories nowadays, though.  Lately I've been on an AJ kick, as far as writing and ideas go.  It goes in phases for me.
~Julie

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »

I sort of felt that way too about Nick, that I'd exhausted all my storylines about him. That's part of the reason I started writing a group story.

Of course now that I've done this, I've got three other Nick stories in my arsenal lol

I guess it just all depends on what you like. I enjoy New Kids music enough, but I'm not really into them as a group or as people, you know? My interest in them goes as far as following each of them on twitter, and that's about it. I'm not inspired by them or interested in digging into their personalities at all. Just because they've formed this NKOTBSB super group doesn't really mean they're part of BSB, because to me they're really not. The groups are still very much separate in my mind.

I don't see them as one big group. I enjoyed the tour but I also became fascinated with them. That's just me though. They are still two very separate groups and that's what inspires me.

tiggerc128

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »

I have to say, I'm a fan of both groups, and never considered them one entity.  it's two entirely different sounds to me and I happen to like both. Ask me which I prefer, I'll say BSB only because they brought me some of the best friends I've ever had the privilege of knowing.  They opened my world to a lot, including fan fiction.  But I've also seen the ugliness on twitter....fro m fans of both groups. The ones who fight and argue about which is better and the childish antics are almost too much at times. Sure, we can have fun, and I admit, I do have my share of fun,  but sometimes it goes too far and I feel uncomfortable.  Last year when the fans were fighting AT the concerts, I felt bad for both groups. You know they don't want their fans acting that way.  Even though there are those here at AC who loathe NKOTB, I've never felt like I was being slammed for writing about them.  And I appreciate that.  I'm not trying to make anyone fans of NKOTB. You either like them or not.  But having an outlet for creativity is a great thing and having a community where these things can be discussed without argument is wonderful. And even if you write a story where all the NKOTB get killed off, isn't it kind of nice to have new characters to evolve?  I've written more in the past year than ever before because so many ideas came to me after seeing them in July.  I look forward to sharing them.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4