Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The most popular type of story  (Read 8940 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: The most popular type of story
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 11:38:57 PM »

Depends on what you write. The reason why I like fanfic is because it's about the Boys, so on some level they need to be the Boys we know and love in a sense. At least for my own preferences. Like with Brian, unless it's AU, I always feel the need to include Leighanne and Baylee somewhere. That, or kill them off. I have a Brian story, and I ended up killing off Leighanne so I wouldn't have to worry about her. It's just my preference that if it's not AU it needs to be close to reality on some level. That means in personality too. It's why Howie's so hard for me to write, he's got this cheesy and corny sense of humor, but it's hard to get into words. Kevin's the "big bro", Brian is this open book, but it's restricted because of his family and beliefs. AJ's always been different lol, and even though he's married now, the way he's always been the "rebel", his psychological/addiction issues give a lot of flexibility as an author.

And even in AU, I try to stick close to the personality, because otherwise, what's the point? It may as well be Original Fiction. I usually have an original character somewhere in my stories, and I use them to keep me content. That, or I work on a different facet on Nick's personality he's shown. I've written in almost every genre at one point or another, so to me, there's never been a point where I've exhausted all my possible storylines.

Not that I've written much lately, but that's not the point lol. 

As for NKOTB, I've never been even remotely interested in mentioning them in one of my stories. I liked the NKOTBSB show I went to if only for the songs the Boys performed (Seeing 10,000 Promises live was a pure win) but I still wish this supergroup crap would end lol. So in my fics the team tour never happened :P.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

VeeLynn

• Innocent Bystander
    • Dragon Age: Into The Fire
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »

I turned AJ into an elf but he was still AJ because he acted like AJ. Aww, good times.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:55:28 PM by VeeLynn »
The writer formally known as ScoobieGang. :D

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »

What I mean about not seeing them as one entity is that even though I have stories that take place on the NKOTBSB tour, I don't feel the need to add Joey, Donnie etc as characters. I just focus on the BSB and NKOTB don't even appear. The assumption is that they're there, because it takes place during the tour, but they're just background characters who never show up for me.

Come to think of it, I wasn't nearly as inspired to write after NKOTBSB (though don't get me wrong, those shows were awesome) as I was after seeing Nick solo in Montreal. After seeing Nick I churned out six chapters of a new story in three days! So for me, I guess it's really Nick who is my muse. Even though I have written in other fandoms, I can't say that I have ever really written as much in any of those as I have about Nick.

I dunno, I just really like Nick! haha.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 04:13:44 AM »

You girls have said it all. Nick is the easiest to write....  :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 05:53:47 AM »

All valid arguments and opinions  but  I guess I just like to challenge myself with different facets of each of the boys' character. :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 06:44:43 AM »

Ugh! I can't access AC on my computer for some reason so I am typing this up on my tiny iPod so typos are going to be everywhere lol anyway...

You know it was because if bsb fanfic that I became so fascinated with the group. I loved their music but knew nothing about the actual band. I didn't even know what fanfic was and surfing the net for info on them I found fanfic. I feel like I got to know the guys through the accurate portrayals of them in stories. I have to admit, if I read one where they were way out of character I might not have persud them the way I did. That being said, it's why their real life personas are so important to me.

As Rose touched on, the reason I read BSB fanfic us because I love them, not just their names which sometimes is the only thing their characters have in common, just the use of the name. I mean taking it one step beyond that, it's also why I'm not the least bit interested in reading about only one boy and a random girl. I fell in love with their relationship to one another. That's what pulled me in and the recent lack of that is what essentially has pulled me out.

I think it all basically boils down to what you like to read and how you perceive the boys in general. If its an AU I don't mind reading the guys out of character but if it's not and Nick us raping or murdering someone, those stories aren't for me lol I've always been overly picky with fanfics more so than books.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »

I started discovering the Boys on television  but I came into the computer age later than everybody else in the world. The only access I had to them was internet at the public library and MTV so I was limited as to how I saw them.  I've been a fan since '97  and doing fanfiction on and off since '99.  Perhaps I came into the world of  it when it was about seeing them as you wanted to not how they really are. Technology has made them more accessible over the years which also makes it easier to learn about them. I enjoy the fantasy and I'm not trying to change  anybody's mind. I was just curious as  to what other's mindsets were here.

They're an amazing group of men and I'm just glad we have such a place to share our creativity. :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 01:51:28 PM »

All valid arguments and opinions  but  I guess I just like to challenge myself with different facets of each of the boys' character. :)

You say that like the rest of us don't challenge ourselves.

I do tend to include all five Boys in my stories though the focus may be on one. There's various ways you can write each of them. I've written from the perspective of each Backstreet Boy at one point or another. I challenge myself not just with the characters, but with the way I try to dive into different genres.

I mean I personally feel all romance plots have been exhausted. And that if it's the same types of plot, then it's not challenging really just because the characters change. It's all about personal preference.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 05:28:46 PM »

I mean I personally feel all romance plots have been exhausted. And that if it's the same types of plot, then it's not challenging really just because the characters change. It's all about personal preference.

Now isn't that stereotyping all authors who write romance.  We all just write the same dribble over and over again. We can't come up with anything but the same idea over and over and over. Romance writers can't come up with more than one idea? Romance is more than just falling for someone and living happily ever after.  If that were the case, the romance genre wouldn't sale so many books.

I write Nick stories and he is easy to write about, but I get the point that Simple Sue was saying. I love the challenge of writing about Brian, Howie or other guys. It it a challenge to write the so called "normal" guy. I think you sometimes have to take Brian and Howie at more than face value. They have quirks and nuances just like Nick or AJ. They aren’t these perfects guys who have it easy. They have struggles and disappointment s like everyone else. Personally, I feel like people only write about Nick because he’s screwed up and that’s easier to write. I don’t think we give Brian and Howie enough credit.  We’re making them sound like they are boring old men….lol. They are far from that.

I think none of us really know 100% how the Backstreet Boys truly are. Sure we get a glimpse into their personal life with twitter and facebook, but none of truly know them. When we write, we may capture the essence of who we think they are. Just like we think we know something about the people writing on this message board by the comments we make. You may know one facet of a person, but we are all complex and different situations cause us to react differently. We aren’t always the same person in all situations.  Unless you know a Backstreet Boy personally, we might all have their personalities wrong.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 05:50:51 PM »

I would say it's just as much a challenge to find new ways to utilize Nick as a main character as it is to write stories about new characters. I definitely do find it a challenge to write about the other boys as mains, and like I said before I'm much more inspired by Nick. however in every story I write where Nick is the star, I try to make him a little different yet still remaining true to the Nick we all know and love. That in itself is a really big challenge.

Also Nick is my husband so I do 100% know him.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »

I would say it's just as much a challenge to find new ways to utilize Nick as a main character as it is to write stories about new characters. I definitely do find it a challenge to write about the other boys as mains, and like I said before I'm much more inspired by Nick. however in every story I write where Nick is the star, I try to make him a little different yet still remaining true to the Nick we all know and love. That in itself is a really big challenge.

Also Nick is my husband so I do 100% know him.

I agree that writing Nick can be a challenge, too. I just think it's a challenge to write the other guys as I think the mere fact that people are actually writing is a good thing. I say write what about who you want and what you want, but I don’t think Howie and Brian are as straight laced as people think. That is just one side of them. I guess my point is that all of the guys are multi-dimensional. Sure maybe Brian, Howie, and Kevin aren’t as you in your face like AJ and Nick are, but that aren’t flat stagnate creatures either. It’s like we put Brian on a pedestal because he has beliefs. He’s just as imperfect as man as Nick or AJ is. That in itself could lead to many stories. And I think we don’t give Nick or AJ credit for having some sort of belief system. I’m sure they do even if they aren’t shouting it out to the BSB fans.

By the way Nick is my husband. You can’t have him….lol.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »

I'm not saying they're not multi-dimensional. I don't think the issue is with Brian and Howie being imperfect, it's that their lives are a little more set than Nick's and AJ's are. Sure AJ is married now, but he's had a lot of issues in the past, same deal with Nick. It's easier to conceivably come up with a dramatic plot for them and have it be within the realm of possibility than it is with Howie and Brian because let's be honest, what's more likely? Nick and Lauren splitting or Brian and Leighanne?

I think the challenge with Nick (and I guess AJ) is since they're written about the most finding new and interesting plots and ways to incorporate their characters into something that's not cliche or has been done a few times before. Finding the freshness in a character that has been used multiple times is not easy.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »

Yes marriage might make Brian and Howie more settled, I guess. As I am still single and waiting to be swept off my feet by a certain blonde dude...lol. Just kidding. Being that a majority of my friends are married and have kids....you would be surprised the issues and craziness that goes on in their lives. Maybe marriage makes your life more set, or maybe it just changes your life and gives you great joys, added stress, and a whole lot more. I have ideas flowing in my head....lol. Love this topic.

I think your viewpoint of the guys has a lot to due with where you are in your own life. We all see things differently and have our own ideas. That is what is so great about writing, we all can create what we want.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »

I think if everyone wants to be challenged, a good thing to do is write all of the boys equally important into a fic. Not just one or two, but all. In fact that might be a good upcoming challenge lol honestly I think that is the most complicated thing in the world, for me anyway. I've written stories about all of them and one of my most popular stories I ever wrote was my Brian one (told from his POV) No one really read my Howie fic lol sorry Howie!

My most popular stories ever are the ones that feature all five if the boys equally. Ugh I'm trying to make a point but the tiny keyboard and my cat are distracting me lol I'll be back!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 06:55:09 PM »

I see your point, Mare.  It's definitely a challenge to balance five main characters, especially characters who are based on real people, and write them equally well.  I have favorite stories that are just about one or two of the Boys, but the ones that make the most impact on me usually feature all of them.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4