Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The most popular type of story  (Read 8937 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The most popular type of story
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »

Sorry guys! Normally if I'm in the middle of a thought and need to stop, I just copy and paste into an email and finish later but I have no clue how to do that in this thing.

Anyway,

Like you both are saying, I do think there are a lot of layers to all the guys which is why I used to force myself to give them all time in the spotlight. The things a married couple go through versus the single guys are all different but it gets even more complicated if you choose to leave the females out of the picture and just focus on the men and their personalities. I do not think Brian is just a holy boy or Howie is just in a corner somewhere winking. I would say I don't think all AJ does us polish his nails and take MySpace pictures all day but I'd be lying loland I'm sure Nick is not as shallow as most tend to think. People are mysterious creatures and it's fun to write them as we think they are.

On a side note, I don't know how some of you do this all the time! The people who ate always posting from their phones. I'm about to throw this thing out the window! New found respect for all of you! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »

LOL...mare. Posting from a phone sucks. My fingers are too chubby for my touchscreen. I feel like a three year old. I much prefer my laptop.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »

Me too! And this auto correct thing is killing me! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »

My phone can't even post! I typed up a whole reply to this today and hit post and it just wouldn't. Forums and phones do not get along LOL.

I agree, it is really hard to represent all five guys equally in a fic. I think that would definitely make a good challenge, didn't we do something like that with the one where the guys were all on a bed? I think it was sort of along those lines anyway.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »

LOL Don't blame ya, Mare.  I don't even like surfing around on my Kindle, let alone my phone.  I barely tolerate my netbook, but that's mostly because of the lack of a mouse.  I'm old-school; I prefer my desktop.

As far as this debate goes (and I'm not sure why it turned into a debate in the first place), I don't think anyone can say that one Boy is more or less challenging to write than others.  It's all a matter of preference and experience - which guys you like the best, which guys you feel you know the best, and your own life experiences as well.  What is challenging to one writer may be a piece of cake for another writer.  Writing in itself is a challenge - it takes creativity, commitment, a command of language, and a talent for storytelling.  To us, it's a hobby, something we do for free and for fun, and what makes it fun may be different for all of us - maybe it is the challenge of it, but maybe it's just because we enjoy telling stories that interest us about people who inspire us.  So what if that's Nick, or Brian, or AJ, or Howie, or Kevin, or the whole group, or even the New Kids?

Everyone should just write what they want without feeling like they have to defend what they enjoy writing about.  If we all wrote in the same genre about the same Boy, AC wouldn't have the variety that makes it such a great place for anyone in the fandom to find something to read.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »

My phone can't even post! I typed up a whole reply to this today and hit post and it just wouldn't. Forums and phones do not get along LOL.

I agree, it is really hard to represent all five guys equally in a fic. I think that would definitely make a good challenge, didn't we do something like that with the one where the guys were all on a bed? I think it was sort of along those lines anyway.

Maybe? lol I think I did issue a five points of view challenge a while back but I don't think anyone even tried it lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:05 PM »

Now isn't that stereotyping all authors who write romance.  We all just write the same dribble over and over again. We can't come up with anything but the same idea over and over and over. Romance writers can't come up with more than one idea? Romance is more than just falling for someone and living happily ever after.  If that were the case, the romance genre wouldn't sale so many books.

I write Nick stories and he is easy to write about, but I get the point that Simple Sue was saying. I love the challenge of writing about Brian, Howie or other guys. It it a challenge to write the so called "normal" guy. I think you sometimes have to take Brian and Howie at more than face value. They have quirks and nuances just like Nick or AJ. They aren’t these perfects guys who have it easy. They have struggles and disappointment s like everyone else. Personally, I feel like people only write about Nick because he’s screwed up and that’s easier to write. I don’t think we give Brian and Howie enough credit.  We’re making them sound like they are boring old men….lol. They are far from that.

I think none of us really know 100% how the Backstreet Boys truly are. Sure we get a glimpse into their personal life with twitter and facebook, but none of truly know them. When we write, we may capture the essence of who we think they are. Just like we think we know something about the people writing on this message board by the comments we make. You may know one facet of a person, but we are all complex and different situations cause us to react differently. We aren’t always the same person in all situations.  Unless you know a Backstreet Boy personally, we might all have their personalities wrong.

It's been a long time since I've seen a truly unique romance plot. I mean I know what I said comes off badly, but so is the idea that it's not a challenge to write Nick. Which is what was implied in this thread. The last romance idea that I thought was legitimately unique was Not Your Average Cinderella story, a BSB parody on the old Cinderella story? Not typical. It's not some...oh Nick's an old family friend, or Nick's (or any BSB) meets a girl on tour, Nick runs into a girl in LA by chance, etc. I'm not saying they're bad, but they're not fresh and new either. But people like it, doesn't mean it's unique. But that's my preference. I'll read a romance, if it's different enough to catch my eye. It's just a rarity.

I know that sounds polarizing but at the same time I'm not about to lie and say I think every romance plot is unique. Sorry, but that's just how I see it. And yes, I click on them sometimes to see if maybe I misjudged it from the summary.

No one's saying they know 100% who BSB are. But let's be real - who's more likely to relapse, for example, in a story idea? Or just be able to delve into drug issues? Nick and AJ. Who's the most likely to split from their significant other and have it be realistic? Nick and AJ. It's not just that Brian and Howie are straight laced, but conceivably a lot less likely to be believable in those scenarios. I mean Brian heart problem fics used to be really popular. Why Brian? Because we knew it could happen. The only time the realm of possibility opens up more for Howie, Brian, and Kevin, is typically in AU. Especially with Kevin not being in the group anymore.

I always try though to make all five, that's right five... as well rounded characters as I can, no matter who it's centered on. If anything, I like playing off the fact Howie's typically the most ignored. It's a neat place to go to. At the same time, I just enjoy writing about Nick cause usually he's the character I relate to the most when I write.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 09:46:12 PM »

To each their own! 

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »

It's been a long time since I've seen a truly unique romance plot. I mean I know what I said comes off badly, but so is the idea that it's not a challenge to write Nick. Which is what was implied in this thread. The last romance idea that I thought was legitimately unique was Not Your Average Cinderella story, a BSB parody on the old Cinderella story? Not typical. It's not some...oh Nick's an old family friend, or Nick's (or any BSB) meets a girl on tour, Nick runs into a girl in LA by chance, etc. I'm not saying they're bad, but they're not fresh and new either. But people like it, doesn't mean it's unique. But that's my preference. I'll read a romance, if it's different enough to catch my eye. It's just a rarity.

I know that sounds polarizing but at the same time I'm not about to lie and say I think every romance plot is unique. Sorry, but that's just how I see it. And yes, I click on them sometimes to see if maybe I misjudged it from the summary.

No one's saying they know 100% who BSB are. But let's be real - who's more likely to relapse, for example, in a story idea? Or just be able to delve into drug issues? Nick and AJ. Who's the most likely to split from their significant other and have it be realistic? Nick and AJ. It's not just that Brian and Howie are straight laced, but conceivably a lot less likely to be believable in those scenarios. I mean Brian heart problem fics used to be really popular. Why Brian? Because we knew it could happen. The only time the realm of possibility opens up more for Howie, Brian, and Kevin, is typically in AU. Especially with Kevin not being in the group anymore.

I always try though to make all five, that's right five... as well rounded characters as I can, no matter who it's centered on. If anything, I like playing off the fact Howie's typically the most ignored. It's a neat place to go to. At the same time, I just enjoy writing about Nick cause usually he's the character I relate to the most when I write.

I guess Nick is not a challenge for me is what I meant to imply. I know he has plenty of issues to work with. I've done stories about him. i guess I just don't relate to him like so many others do. And maybe it's because I'm not a typical fan and came into what the media typically geared toward teenagers. Fiction has to be based in a certain amount of reality in my opinion but doesn't it also mean taking the truth and slightly stretching it out?  I mean,I don't care for the zombie stories I see on here but that's my personal preference. It's not what I'm into.

Maybe because Brian is my favorite I can play the what if game  easier than I can with the others.  I know LeighAnnne and Baylee are very much his reality. I've even used them in my stories but I've never killed them off.

As has been said, it's personal preference and I prefer  a good romance. And what's good to one person may not be good to another. Just sayin.......

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »

Everyone should just write what they want without feeling like they have to defend what they enjoy writing about.  If we all wrote in the same genre about the same Boy, AC wouldn't have the variety that makes it such a great place for anyone in the fandom to find something to read.

This I agree with wholeheartedly .  There is a variety to choose from and  I'm thankful for that because it's opened up a whole new world of characters for me. I apologize if I turned this into a debate. I didn't mean for it to be.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »

I guess Nick is not a challenge for me is what I meant to imply. I know he has plenty of issues to work with. I've done stories about him. i guess I just don't relate to him like so many others do. And maybe it's because I'm not a typical fan and came into what the media typically geared toward teenagers. Fiction has to be based in a certain amount of reality in my opinion but doesn't it also mean taking the truth and slightly stretching it out?  I mean,I don't care for the zombie stories I see on here but that's my personal preference. It's not what I'm into.

Maybe because Brian is my favorite I can play the what if game  easier than I can with the others.  I know LeighAnnne and Baylee are very much his reality. I've even used them in my stories but I've never killed them off.

As has been said, it's personal preference and I prefer  a good romance. And what's good to one person may not be good to another. Just sayin.......

Which is fine that you weren't a teen when you became a fan. I just think that's irrelevant since 99% of the fanbase isn't made up of teenagers anymore. Most of us are in our mid to late 20's. You're not getting what I'm saying about FAN-Fiction. Of course it's fiction, that's common sense. But most of us read stories about the Boys cause we're fans so we expect to read about the Boys we're familiar with, not characters with the same name and looks but act nothing like the ones we're fans of.

I think it's cute you mention zombie "stories" since I write one of I think maybe 2 that exist on AC. Especially since I mentioned genres, which is romance is, not one specific plot. I never said romance wasn't good. I said the plots tend to be exhausted, which in my opinion they are. If you could show me several romances that weren't using the same plot as many others, go for it. I've written a romance, for the record. And I feel that unless you have truly unique characters and a new spin on the story, it's not captivating.

You said you write "outside the box", which very much implied that writing Nick stories isn't that. If you meant for yourself, fine. You didn't say that though till this post. I never said people couldn't enjoy other things, I specifically said for me.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 11:45:51 PM »

Which is fine that you weren't a teen when you became a fan. I just think that's irrelevant since 99% of the fanbase isn't made up of teenagers anymore. Most of us are in our mid to late 20's. You're not getting what I'm saying about FAN-Fiction. Of course it's fiction, that's common sense. But most of us read stories about the Boys cause we're fans so we expect to read about the Boys we're familiar with, not characters with the same name and looks but act nothing like the ones we're fans of.

I think it's cute you mention zombie "stories" since I write one of I think maybe 2 that exist on AC. Especially since I mentioned genres, which is romance is, not one specific plot. I never said romance wasn't good. I said the plots tend to be exhausted, which in my opinion they are. If you could show me several romances that weren't using the same plot as many others, go for it. I've written a romance, for the record. And I feel that unless you have truly unique characters and a new spin on the story, it's not captivating.

You said you write "outside the box", which very much implied that writing Nick stories isn't that. If you meant for yourself, fine. You didn't say that though till this post. I never said people couldn't enjoy other things, I specifically said for me.

I apologize for starting a huge debate about the whole thing. I was just curious as to why Nick seems to be the most popular to write about is all. 

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »

I agree on a lot that has been said. For myself though...I like to read any of the guys...but I'm more likely to read a Nick one because I can relate to him. I also enjoy stories with all five guys, or just Nick and Brian. Same goes for my writing. I've been writing a lot of Nick, but I'm getting more comfortable writing Kevin and Brian as well. It all depends on the person, I think. What their preference is and who they are comfortable writing.

As for romance...I write romance but I don't read it, I think because I haven't really seen any I am interested in...not that there aren't good ones out there. I just tend to lean towards science fiction, angst, suspense, and drama now. My preferences changed as I got older.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »

Don't apologize for starting a discussion. There's nothing wrong with the thread, just defending my own point of view.

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 03:11:05 AM »

Sometimes it does feel like romance gets picked on, but it is the mostly used genre. Personally I write romance a lot and use Nick most of the time. I don't tend to write the girl meets BSB at a concert and falls in love plot. I think I give it a twist or at least I try. Sometimes I think I would get some of the popular writers reading my stuff if my punctuation/grammar was up to their standards.  :shrug: I'm just glad there is a variety of stories to read and ideas to write about.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4