Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 57910 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »

I think I started doing this a long time ago and then we stopped. So, let's start it up again. Everyday I will post a different question. Feel free to answer & debate. Also feel free to post your own question as well. That's why there's an (s) in the thread title lol

Okay, first question:

Do you prefer to write in first person or third person, and why?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:13:30 PM »

Third person. I like writing in first person and sometimes the story just calls for it, but I prefer third person these days because I find it a lot easier. With first person you really have to write using your character's distinct voice, and sometimes that can be really hard to find. With third person you can just use your own voice as the narrator.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:35:26 AM »

Definitely third person, I've always found it easier but I have been attempting first person through challenges, so my next new story may be in first person if I can swing it. I've been getting better I think over time.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »

I usually prefer third, though first is a fun challenge sometimes.  I like third better because it offers more flexibility and doesn't have to be written to sound like someone's real way of thinking/storytelling.  I like to use more descriptive, flowery language, and that just doesn't work for first person.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »

I agree, Julie about using more descriptive language. I always find myself having to cut down my vocabulary when writing in first person (especially if I'm writing Nick's POV lol) because the way I write wouldn't be the way that people talk!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »

I prefer third person too.  I've written challenges in first person and enjoyed writing them, and I think I've even written a couple of stories in first person, but like you say, you're limited then.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »

I tend to write in first person most of the time because I think it's much easier, for me anyway. I am not a big fan of writing a whole lot of descriptions so I guess it makes more sense that I would enjoy the first person thing over the third.

Okay here is today's question:

Do you tend to write one of the boys as your main focus for a story or do you center it around an original character instead?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »

At least one of the Boys is always the main focus of my stories.  When they include original characters, they are always secondary or equally balanced with the Boys.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »

Now, I always try have the boys as the main focus. When I do include original characters, they're secondary to the boys. I used to put the focus more on the original female characters, but as my writing has evolved I've found I've gravitated more towards the boys being the main focus. When I'm writing BSB fanfic I've found I want to write more about BSB. When I find myself wanting to write more about original characters, or the story becoming more about original characters than BSB I'll just turn it into original fiction (I did this with my Nano novel a couple years ago.)
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »

^ that is a smart way to think! I have said it before like a thousand times. They are BSB fanfics not some random chick fics lol

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »

^ that is a smart way to think! I have said it before like a thousand times. They are BSB fanfics not some random chick fics lol

I think there is an opportunity to use original characters though. You can have the main character/main focus of the story be one of the boys but have the narrator be someone else. That would still qualify it as bsb fanfic, I would think. If the narrator is still talking about the main character, even if they are an original character the focus is still on the boys. I don't think it needs to always be them doing the "talking".
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »

I am pretty much the same as Julie when it comes to original characters. I give them and whichever one of the guys I'm using equal face time in the story to balance things out, especially in my AU series I'm doing. It is BSB fanfic like you guys said, so I try not to focus on the original character too much.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »

I think there is an opportunity to use original characters though. You can have the main character/main focus of the story be one of the boys but have the narrator be someone else. That would still qualify it as bsb fanfic, I would think. If the narrator is still talking about the main character, even if they are an original character the focus is still on the boys. I don't think it needs to always be them doing the "talking".

Yes, I agree. If the other character is there to support or even if it's told through their eyes as well as the boys, that's different. I have loosened my opinion on that over the years. But if the main character is not one of the guys and they are only a supporting role, to me it's not a BSB fanfic.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 05:01:46 AM »

I usually have the boys as the main focus in my stories, but I've also written ones with an original character (random chick and even guilty of using my own name in the past too, lol).  I will read either if I like the story :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »

Here's today's question:

If you could pick one of your stories to be turned into a movie, which one would you pick & why?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26