Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 58290 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2012, 11:13:50 PM »

Don't think I could bring myself to write a rape scene either.

Though, I did write a really stupid one in my first ever fic where Nick gets drunk, tries to rape his girlfriend and the whole story is about how he's got to deal with his horrible drinking/rape problem. But I was like 13 then and it was obviously just done for over the top drama.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2012, 11:28:13 PM »

I don't think anything should be off limits for writing if there is a point to having it in the story.  It is, after all, fiction.  though there are subject matters I choose not to read so I avoid certain stories I know that they are in.  I don't tend to include real wives or children in stories just because I'm not their fan so why would I write about them. I have used them, and Leighanne and Baylee are currently in a story, but in general I make up wives/girlfriends and children.  I'm not sure if I could kill one of the kids either, even if it happened before the story started.  

To write a chapter when I am stuck, hrm.  I sometimes re-read previous chapters.  I have been really good about outlining some of my stories lately so sometimes outline more of the story, later chapters.   If I'm really stuck I pester my friend at work and make her listen as a gab outloud.  IF I can ever get a friend on Messenger I'd chat with them but I hardly see anyone on lately.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2012, 04:17:54 AM »

Hmmmm limits when it comes to writing? The person I was when I began at AC is totally different now, I initially was against writing semi graphic sex scenes (I've done it) rape scenes (I've done it ala FYO) Killing Nick or any boys off *giggles innocently* and finally slash.

Writing slash is definitely not my cup of tea, I have read some and it wasn't bad, but it isn't my thing. Other than Slash, I am pretty much down for trying just about anything, writing in any genre. I've grown so much as a writer in the last year or so and I have everyone at AC to thank for that.

To answer Julilly's question, when I am stuck on an idea I do the following-

1. I watch a movie or some TV for inspiration.

2. Talk to my friends, they usually give me some good ideas.

3. I get good ideas at work, when I am keeping busy and letting my mind not think about the story I'm stuck on.

4. A nice hot shower helps clear my head, or I take a nap.

5. Reading through my old work or just picking up a random book, magazine or manga helps.

6. Playing music. The 400+ song playlist is good for inspiration.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2012, 07:09:51 AM »

I have another question and I wanted to write it now before I forgot it lol

Do you have an all time favorite scene or chapter you have written in any fanfic that makes you say, wow...that was pretty great if I do say so myself? And don't lie and say "Oh, i've never thought that!" You know you have, so just fess up now! lol

And yes, at the risk of sounding like an ego maniac, you can name more than one if you'd like! lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2012, 08:31:38 AM »

For me, probably the scene in Figured You Out where Nick tries to climb out the bathroom window...that scene was one of my favorites in that story. There are just so many moments in that story, looking back I think "damn, did I really write this? Or did I dream it?"

Sorry if that sounds egotistical. I'm just so darn proud of that story :)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2012, 08:48:55 AM »

It's a bit weird, there are some scenes I remember being really proud of at the time of writing them and now when I look back I see they weren't as great as I remember them. But I guess that's proof I've grown as a writer!

That being said, the scene that springs to my mind that I'm proud of isn't even posted on the site. Fail. But I'll say the first chapter of Running Up That Hill, particularly Kevin's POV where he tells off AJ and crashes into Nick in the hallway afterwards is still something I'm proud of.

Also the weird thing about slash is that I was all about it when I was 15/16! Not in BSB fandom, but in Gundan Wing fandom slash was where it's at. No one would read your stuff if it wasn't slash lol

Also Tracy, I remember that scene in FYO. It really was one of the best! (But of course the whole story was fantastic :))
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »

Now that I think about it I do take a shower when I'm trying to work things out too.  Husband has caught me talking to myself in the shower quite a few times when I'm discussing a story with the showerhead. LOL.

One scene I am very proud of is in Wulf's Bane (the fanfic).  It's a scene where Nick and Albert are bringing a very wounded Rose into a small town to be healed.  Describing the clinic/hospital they end up at is my favorite.  I wrote it years ago but I still remember it.  It might have stuck out because my friend, Amanda who is very descriptive writer, told me that she loved how I wrote the scene.  So add her admiration on top of my own like for the scene it has been a fave of mine forever.

I know you are all expecting me to have a scene from Chronos Project and I do, what do you know! LOL  My scenes in that story are the sexual tension scenes between Julie and Kevin.   The one that sticks out the most in my mind was when he was strapping something to her thigh... mmmmm.... *thoughts wander off*  I also liked a majority of the jumps in that story, all the historical stuff I wrote for it. Loved writing them.

Then I have scenes that I loved when I wrote them at the time, like SakaSteph, and when I look back on them now I cringe a bit.  
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »

It's funny how different things bother us.  I have no problem killing wives or even the Boys themselves, but for some reason, I could never bring myself to kill off one of their kids.  As much as I hate fictional kids, Rose and I made up some for Undead just so we could kill them off without killing Baylee.

I don't think I've ever written a rape scene; I don't know if I'd consider that taboo, but it's not something I've ever had the urge to write, either.

Right, I could never kill off real kids, but I have no problems killing off the Boys or their wives. I create fictional kids if I wanna kill off kids LOL. I don't know how I feel about rape scenes. I don't think I could ever write one, just cause someone close to me went through that, and so it's even more touchy than it would be otherwise. I've never had the urge to write one either though.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »

I have another question and I wanted to write it now before I forgot it lol

Do you have an all time favorite scene or chapter you have written in any fanfic that makes you say, wow...that was pretty great if I do say so myself? And don't lie and say "Oh, i've never thought that!" You know you have, so just fess up now! lol

And yes, at the risk of sounding like an ego maniac, you can name more than one if you'd like! lmao

I have to say in RMTW. The scene where Nick and AJ are at that carnival and he tells AJ on the roller coaster. The idea of that was inspired by a chat with Julie, but the scene came out perfectly. Like I re-read it and was just like... wow that sounds just as good as it did in my head! LOL. Which, is something I almost never think.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2012, 11:19:14 AM »

It's funny that you asked that today, Mare, because I was going to ask if anyone had ever found themselves actually enjoying reading one of their own stories, not for writing/proofreading's sake, but just as a reader?

At the risk of sounding like an ego maniac, I started reading Curtain Call the other night to catch up to where you had left off in your reading/reviewing for the challenge, Mare.  I have it on my Kindle from when I made all those fanfic ebooks over Christmas break, but aside from flipping through it to make sure it looked right, I'd never tried to actually read one of my own stories that way.  I was surprised to find myself actually enjoying it - not cringing at cheesy parts, not noticing typos or wishing I'd worded something differently, but actually just enjoying it!  I've never had that experience with one of my own stories before; I didn't think it was possible LOL.  I usually like what I'm writing as I'm writing it, but after it's done, if I ever go back and try to read old stories, most of them just make me cringe.

Like Steph said, there are stories or scenes in stories that I remember thinking were really good at the time, and then I go back and look at them and shudder at how embarrassingly bad they are.  Sometimes it's better to just take pride in the accomplishment of actually finishing a story and never really look at it again LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »

I have to say in RMTW. The scene where Nick and AJ are at that carnival and he tells AJ on the roller coaster. The idea of that was inspired by a chat with Julie, but the scene came out perfectly. Like I re-read it and was just like... wow that sounds just as good as it did in my head! LOL. Which, is something I almost never think.

Right?  That almost never happens!  It's miraculous when it does.  That is a really great scene!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2012, 11:29:20 AM »

See, as much as I loved Broken, I do think Curtain Call is the better story. You did an amazing job with that one.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »

Thanks, Rose.  I love the basic storyline of Broken, but the quality of writing in Curtain Call is much better, and the level of cheesiness and melodrama is much lower LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »

Actually that would be a great question for tomorrow maybe, Julie lol I think it's different enough to use and maybe people would have a different answer. I have yet to read one of my stories in its entirety unless editing it or changing it to OF. I have gone back and read chapters of things especially after people have left feedback on a chapter I don't particularly remember or ask a question about something I can't recall within a certain chapter.

I was thinking about trying to read one this summer but we'll see lol

As far as scenes, there have been a few I've been very happy with but myind always goes back to two from Why. The falling out the window when Kevin calls scene and the dropping the McDonalds bag scene lol I actually made myself laugh when I wrote those and knew people were going to love them.

I think another favorite of mine was my musical chapter in 5 BSBS. I admit I've gone and read that chapter more than once lol

What does it say about me that I didn't mention any of the serious scenes? There's been a few of those too but I don't want to over do it. When you've written 77+ fics there's bound to be a few favorites I guess? Lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »

Thanks Steph :) I had so much fun with that story.

Mare I loved that scene with Nick falling out of the window, that was a really funny moment.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26