Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 58112 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 02:02:30 PM »

I'd pick Save A Prayer, because I love action/adventure type movies with a bit of disaster thrown in too :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 08:04:05 PM »

Song for the Undead because 1) zombie movies are awesome, and 2) sweat-streaked, ragged Backstreet Boys (or equally attractive actors) shooting zombies on the screen would be hot.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »

I would enjoy watching these movies about Backstreet Boys who are ragged and fighting for their lives. I'm picturing Nick all sweaty and running through the jungle now. It's a nice mental image.

I've always sort of envisioned In Pieces as a movie, where the chapters set in the past were all in black and white and shot dramatically, like some sort of really old romance movie. Completely ridiculous because that plotline is all about Nick banging a groupie, haha. but maybe the contrast would work? lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »

I think I'd like to see Shadow Woods as a movie because if some the creepy scenes lol

Tonight's question: Where do you get your story ideas from? A dream, a movie, show?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »

I get my story ideas from all of those places and more...

My dreams are a huge source but I might see TV or a movie that gives me an aspect that I like and I might include.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »

I get my story ideas from all over the place! I have taken aspects from my own life, (or in the case of Running Up That Hill, the boys lives) I draw inspiration from songs a lot, and my interpretation of them.

I do have one fic that's not posted yet where I sort of knew the plot of a show, thought to myself "I wonder what would happen if Nick was the main character?" so I watched the show for purely for research so I could write a fic in that universe centered around Nick.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »

I get ideas from real life, TV/films, dreams and songs.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »

Okay, we'll clearly I shouldn't have started this until after school was over. FAIL

So, here are a few make up questions.

How do you feel about stories with more than one sequel? Do you tend to write them? What makes you continue to write on one story?

Do you read any other fanfic fandoms besides the Backstreet Boys? What about when it comes to writing?

If you could steal one persons fanfic and claim it as your own, which one would it be and why?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 03:34:15 PM »

It's okay, I need to catch up anyway!

My story ideas usually come from movies, books, or other fanfics.  I think every story I've written in the last few years, with the exception of challenges and collabs, has come from one of those places.  I don't rip off other people's ideas, but they often inspire me to write in a certain genre or take a similar premise in a different direction.

I wish I could be one of those writers who literally dreams up story ideas, but my dreams are usually not interesting enough to be inspiring.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »

How do you feel about stories with more than one sequel? Do you tend to write them? What makes you continue to write on one story?
It really depends on the storyline.  Some stories are complex and epic enough to warrant being split into several parts.  If they're planned out that way, and there's a reason for splitting them up rather than writing one long novel, then great.  But sometimes I feel like endless series are just the result of poor planning or an inability to let go and move on to something different.  I've been there before; I've written sequels because I had more ideas after finishing the original or wanted to try to recreate the magic, and I've also ended stories early simply because I was sick of writing them and vowed to finish telling the story in a sequel later on (which never happened).  I learned my lesson, and now the only way I'd write a sequel is if I truly had a different, but important idea that related to the original story.  Otherwise, I prefer to just keep stories together and make them epic stand-alones.

Do you read any other fanfic fandoms besides the Backstreet Boys? What about when it comes to writing?
I don't read any other fandoms.  The only other fandom I've attempted to write in is Harry Potter.  I haven't had any success writing solely HP fanfic, but I'm writing a HP/BSB crossover right now.

If you could steal one persons fanfic and claim it as your own, which one would it be and why?
It'd probably be a story like Mare's "The Importance of Fly Fishing" or Susan's "The Market" - a simple story that finds the beauty and humor in small, everyday moments, rather than relying on huge problems  to create an interesting story.  I tend to write epic novels that are overly dramatic and filled with angst and suspense and whatnot, and I do like those kinds of stories, but I admire authors who keep things short, sweet, and simple, because I have a hard time doing that.

~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »

Thanks, Julie :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »

You're welcome!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »

Depends. So far I've only done a story with one sequel. I did start a third story, but I deleted it because I was sick of writing about the characters, even though I felt that the third story would wrap up some loose ends. It really depends for me on if the three stories work together to tell a complete story, while still all being stand alone enough that there was reason enough for them to be split. I'm just so story ADD that I can't really see myself ever doing that. I don't even think I'll write a story with one sequel again, to be honest.

Yeah kinda, BSB has always been my primary though. I did some Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing stories when I was in high school. I also write in Avatar: The Last Airbender but not a lot. I don't really read in any fandoms without writing in them - because once I start to read I get the itch to write something of my own. That's how I started in Avatar more recently.

Dani's Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon, which is probably not a shock to any of you I'm sure LOL. I loved that story so much, it conveyed the way that I interpreted that song perfectly. It's written beautifully and the characters are all completely in character with how I picture them, yet all the drama that happens is totally conceivable. That's difficult to do when it's Brian who's the "bad guy." If I ever wrote a romance fic that was half as good as that one, I'd consider it a success!
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »

I've never written a sequel as I like to wrap it all up in one story.  I've read sequels though, and as long as there is still some story to tell and it's good, I'll read it.

In the past I've read Take That and Twilight fanfics.  I've written a couple of Take That stories, a Supernatural/BSB one and a Twilight one.  I don't really read them anymore and tend to stick with BSB.

Tough one!  I think I'd go with Song For The Undead because I've been reading it since the very beginning and love the way it's written.  I keep saying I'd love to see it as a movie or a book because I think it would be awesome!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »

Thanks, Steph!!
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26