Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 58186 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »

How do you feel about Kevin's return? Will it impact your writing in any way?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »

I'm thrilled about Kevin's return!  I don't think it will impact my writing much, though, because I still included him in the stories I wrote during his absence.  Having him back in the group will just make it easier to include him in stories that aren't AU.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 09:24:09 AM »

I don't think I have to answer that cause I'm pretty sure everyone here can guess both of my answers to the questions concerning Kevin's return and impacting my fanfic. :-D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »

How do you feel about stories with more than one sequel? Do you tend to write them? What makes you continue to write on one story?

I have one story that has more than one sequel but the third has not been completed.  The two vampire stories tell the story but I decided to explore the one who turned all the boys into their vampire selves.  It is fanfic when it brings up the boys but I feel it is more original fiction since they are only part of her story.

I do have a third story/plot for my Chronos stories too but it is still being worked out.  I always knew if Chronos Project had a sequel it would end up a trilogy because of plot points in the second that would be revealed would lead to the third. But I decided to take a break from the characters for a bit.

I think if the story warrants more than one sequel than it is fine.  Each story needs it's own plot focus though and not just more of the same, which I HOPE I do. LOL

Do you read any other fanfic fandoms besides the Backstreet Boys? What about when it comes to writing?

I used to read a LOT of different fandoms back in college and even a few years ago on fanfic.net but now I am focusing on reading the stories on AC.  I have a couple of stories that involve other fandoms, there is one on AC called Broken Mask that is a Final Fantasy fanfic and Wulf's Bane is a huge crossover fic that has a large portion from Legend of the Dragoon though there are several other fanfic aspects.

If you could steal one persons fanfic and claim it as your own, which one would it be and why?

Any story I have read and loved I wish I could claim as my own.  I would claim Rewind by Carter-Orange, Whatever the Night by Mare, and The Archangels by Reb are the first ones that come to mind.  They are all such fantastic ideas and well written. Sure Reb's isn't finished and I'd LOVE more from that one but what she has so far is just...wow. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »

Thanks, Lore! :)

What do you think is the most over used fanfic plot?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »

There are definitely fads in fanfic, where certain types of storylines are really popular for awhile and then fade out, but one of the plots that has always been predominant is the typical "Sad girl with hard life who doesn't feel worthy of love meets Backstreet Boy, who somehow falls in love with her, teaches her how to love again, and makes her life worth living, until lots of drama (usually involving love triangles and/or babies) threatens to tear them apart" romance.  There are different takes on it; sometimes Mary Sue has been abused or somehow traumatized in her past, and sometimes she just lacks self-esteem because she's overweight or "not traditionally beautiful," yet the Backstreet Boy manages to overlook all her issues and fall in love with her, baggage and all.  It's the typical wishful-thinking fantasy fanfic.  I think a lot of people started writing fanfic as teenies out of wishful-thinking fantasies, so it makes sense why there are so many like this.  And some of them are good!  Overused doesn't equal bad; plots only get overused because there's something appealing about them.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »

I think Julie summed it up. :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 11:50:42 PM »

Yup I agree Julie summed it up!

Do you guys think there are any overused non-romance plots? Or is there not enough non-romance BSB fic for there to be an overused plot that's not in that genre?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »

How do you feel about Kevin's return? Will it impact your writing in any way?

I'm so excited for his return, when I heard the news I screamed and danced around my living room like a loon!  It will make it easier to include him in my non-AU stories rather than have him just pop in every so often.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »

Thanks, Lore! :)

What do you think is the most over used fanfic plot?

Thanks Lore :)

I agree with Julie on this one. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »

Yup I agree Julie summed it up!

Do you guys think there are any overused non-romance plots? Or is there not enough non-romance BSB fic for there to be an overused plot that's not in that genre?

I think the non-romance ones are the fad ones I was thinking of.  When I first started reading fanfics, the popular storylines I read were the ones about Brian's heart problems, the stalker/kidnapping stories, and the car/bus crash stories.  None of those storylines are very popular anymore, at least not on AC, although they still pop up once in awhile.  Then there's the vampire stories and the alien stories and the BSB kid stories... they all went through phases when they were popular and then sort of fizzled out.

Along with romance, though, I think storylines with suspense or the hurt/comfort angst element will always be popular.
~Julie

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »

There's not enough non-romance BSB fic for me and I'm over joyed that kevin is coming back!!!!!!!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 09:30:34 PM »

How do you think you are perceived as a writer? do you think people pigeon hole you into one style or genre?

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 01:47:51 AM »

Carterkid I'm writing a non romance if you'd like to check it out. Weird World. It is a science fiction action/suspense type story.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 01:49:13 AM »

Overused Fanfic plots? Hmm. I haven't seen any recently but back in the day it was the "boy meets girl, girl goes on tour" kind of romance stories. I've seen a lot of variety lately which is really nice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26