Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 57179 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:20 PM »

Both sound like great ideas. Julie is that going to be an original fic?

I haven't ever seen Evengilion either but it does sound very Supernatural.

The only idea I had that I never did anything with was a bsb/ numb3rs crossover. I was going to have Nick be an Epps and have s home invasion plot.

Working on an original fic this summer about a little girl who always had trouble making friends & moves from NY to NJ and meets some kids who change her life. It's a love story to my childhood best friends.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »

No, it's a fanfic (AJ), but it could would work as an original fic too if I wrote it that way.

Your OF sounds like a cute story!  The personal touches you add to your stories always make them even better.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

I really love this thread, btw.  Now that it's getting to be summer, I'm back in a writing/fanfic mode.  I was so busy in May, I hardly had time to even think about that stuff, let alone write anything!  I missed feeling like a writer LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I'm hoping this thread will help everyone get their creative juices flowing.  Also hoping some of you will jump in with questions because I'm already having trouble thinking some up lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »

I'm impressed you've gone on as long as you have!  I feel like we've done so many fanfic surveys around here, we've run out of topics to talk about, but I always love them anyway!  I will try to come up with some questions.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »

I'm loving those ideas you've come up with and can't wait to read them.

You'd think as I've had this week off work I'd get the chance to write, but sadly all I've written so far is a couple of paragraphs!

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »

I have a few though they are at the bare bones of simple ideas no plots, except for Apollo's Curse which is listed first.

I keep saying I'm going to write this one next and then another story idea gets in my head and I can't write the one.  It's about a world drenched in darkness, a society against the sun, a group of "rebels" trying to bring back the sunshine.  It's *gasp* a sci-fi.  It's a group story, there is one girl, and AJ is the main focus of the boys.

I have another story idea where people are experimented on to make them "special". Bring out some hidden gene that can give them abilities.  

Some random love story ideas are floating around.  And another vampire fic.

I keep supressing new ideas because I want to finish Severed Identities and I have the third Chronos story still to write and I want to try my best to finish Empty.  
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »

Do you think there is any subject matter that should be off limits when it comes to writing a story? Is there anything you would never write about?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »

If I tell you all my awesome ideas I'll find them on the most recent page tomorrow! :P

Here's a question... what do you do when the chapter you're working on just won't come out? Do you try and visualize the scene, or perhaps write ahead and come back to it?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2012, 06:00:02 PM »

Do you think there is any subject matter that should be off limits when it comes to writing a story? Is there anything you would never write about?

I don't think anything should be off limits; writing is all about creativity and freedom of expression.  That said, I guess there are things I choose not to write about.  I don't kill off Backstreet kids, for example - Baylee, Mason, James, and AJ's spawn are off limits.  I don't do slash.  I guess that's about it LOL.  And the things I said I don't do, I probably will do someday just because I vowed I wouldn't; that's how I roll LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »

If I tell you all my awesome ideas I'll find them on the most recent page tomorrow! :P

Here's a question... what do you do when the chapter you're working on just won't come out? Do you try and visualize the scene, or perhaps write ahead and come back to it?

I wish there was some trick I used every time to get past this problem, because I could use it right now on pretty much all of my stories! LOL

Here's the list of things I usually try, in any order:
- Turn off the TV, the internet, any music I'm tempted to sing along to, and all other distractions
- Try to visualize the scene like a movie (good suggestion)
- Reread the previous scene(s) or chapter(s)
- Read other stories/books in a similar genre/style
- Watch movies/shows that could be inspiring (I rely on this strategy too much, and it rarely works)
- Listen to instrumental music (classical pieces or movie scores) that fits the mood of the scene
- Talk to someone else about the story and the scene you're stuck on
- Write something else (a short story, a challenge, a scene for another story, anything!)
- Take a walk and think about it
- Take a shower and think about it
- Take a nap and dream about it
- Drink another Code Red, Dr. Pepper, or the caffeinated beverage of your choice
- Start a different story and abandon this one completely

The ones that actually work out best for me are getting rid of distractions, reading, talking to someone, taking a walk or a shower, and drinking caffeine.  The other suggestions could be why I take so long to update sometimes.  ::)
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »

Those are all really good suggestions Julie! My favourite things out of those are turning off all distractions and going for a walk to get my brain moving. Though lately I have been really bad about jumping around when writing a story and writing random chapters instead of writing in order. It's good and bad, because obviously the chapters I have worked on turn out really well because I'm super inspired for them and have more time to look them over when/if it ever comes time to post.

As for things that I consider to be off-limits, I agree with Julie in that I personally would never kill off an existing, real life, Backstreet kid. (Nick's pretend spawn however...) I also don't do slash but that's not really for the same reason, I just don't think I could ever conceivably picture any of the boys in a relationship with each other. They all like boobs too much. I dunno, it's never been something I've been into and I've still only ever read one really good slash story that I found to be believable-ish.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »

I agree, killing fictional kids is fine! LOL  And I'm with you on slash; it's just too unrealistic in our  fandom.  I'm sure it'd be much more believable with NSync fanfic LOL.

I've never been able to write scenes out of order like that, although sometimes I wish I could jump around and write the parts I'm actually inspired to write first.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2012, 10:12:01 PM »

I am so totally the opposite. I wouldn't hesitate killing off the bsb kids but as for bsb themselves, that was always taboo lol all the misc... people in their lives are fair game. Lucky for them, I usually didn't care enough to include them in my stuff or Baylee probably would have been toast with his matching clothes mother more than once.

I tend to shy away from writing rape scenes or things like that. Not a big fan of incest either lol I think that should be off limits. Slash is something I'd never write but I wouldn't write a visual in general.  

I could never write something out of order. When I would get blocked I just stepped away from the story for a little bit. I actually never listen to music when I write. It needs to be totally quiet.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:13:57 PM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2012, 11:04:11 PM »

It's funny how different things bother us.  I have no problem killing wives or even the Boys themselves, but for some reason, I could never bring myself to kill off one of their kids.  As much as I hate fictional kids, Rose and I made up some for Undead just so we could kill them off without killing Baylee.

I don't think I've ever written a rape scene; I don't know if I'd consider that taboo, but it's not something I've ever had the urge to write, either.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26