Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)  (Read 36060 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »

The second annual readers challenge is upon us! Can I get a woot!

Some of you have already started to read your stories which I think is awesome! Remember you have the entire summer to read them. When you are done with your challenge story and want to read another one from the same author or a story on the list of other authors feel free. The whole purpose of this challenge is to get yourself to read something you might not normally read.

Here is the list of people participating and what they have decided to read:

1) Lore: Remember Me This Way by Rose
2) Steph: Price of Fame
3) DelphinaCarter: Just One Kiss
4) Julilly: The Other Side of Nick Carter
5) Mare: Curtain Call
6) Rose: Chronos Project
7) carterkid: Snowed In
8) Ritz: Hawk and a Handsaw
9) Julie: Whatever the Night May Bring
10) kevmylove: Figured You out
11) simple sue: Uncle Daddy
12) tigger128: Rewind

I'm not going to be as specific as I was last year because you get the gist of what you need to do. Just a few reminders though

~ Make sure you leave feedback for the author not only on the story itself but also in this thread so this way we can decided if it's something we'd like to read or not.

~ Don't wait until the end and just give one long feedback. Do it by chapter or every other chapter and more than a "That was good" Give real concrit when it's needed. If there's something specific you found confusing or interesting, make sure you mention that.

~ Please do not flake! You signed up for this challenge, this is the one time I ask you to really complete it. You have someone else counting on you.

Enjoy and happy reading!!

Once a week I'll bump this thread up but I really shouldn't have to because I expect you guys to come in on a semi regular basis and talk about what you're reading.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »

I already started to read Remember me This Way and have been leaving feedback at the end of chapters. 

I read all the feeback from other people in the featured story thread (no I did not read all the reviews) and Rose has discussed the story before so I knew what the plot of the story is going in but I can say that Rose has great little details that give you hints at the beginning of what you are reading.  There are things you would go back and look at later and say "yes that was a sign".  I'm enjoying how she is portraying the characters and the relationships so far and yes, I have even had a few "tissue" moments because just thinking about what is coming has me teary-eyed. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »

Snowed In is my story and I'm already on chapter 11.I have left feedback too.

It's got drama so watch out.Love the story so far but it needs a lot of proof-reading in some parts.Just here and there and its not the spelling but missing words in some places.In the part right now,Sky has big news that could change that way the story goes.It's really interesting and I love when Brian walks half way in the door and over hers what is going on.Funny

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »

I've already made a start on Price of Fame which is a NKOTB story featuring Donnie.  The story is well presented but contains sex scenes which prevent me from reading in work, LOL.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »

I haven't started on Whatever the Night May Bring yet, and to be honest, I may not get much reading done until my real summer starts after June 15th, but then I'll have all the time and energy in the world, so bring it on!  I'm looking forward to reading this story because I started reading it when Mare first started posting it, but quickly fell behind.  It felt like the kind of story that would leave me with a lot of questions at first, and so I just decided to wait and give it another shot when it was done and I could read the whole thing at once if I wanted to, so I wouldn't have to wait in suspense for updates and answers.  Then I just never got around to actually reading it from the beginning again - I haven't read (or written) much of anything in awhile, actually - and so it worked out well that I got paired with Mare with this story as an option for the challenge!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »

That's okay, Julie. Take your time. I am doing one chapter a day, since it's about 90 chapters that'll spread out quite nicely lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »

LOL true, that seems reasonable!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

carterkid

• Major Disruption
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »

I'll be going on vacation starting Monday and be gone for a week.It's a good thing we have all summer to read. ;) LOL

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »

I am gonna try starting this sometime this week. I always read too fast so it will probably be done in one or two days lol

carterkid

• Major Disruption
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »

WOW,I'm done with my story! Will there be something to fill out like last time mare?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »

Yes, but not until August lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

I've read the first 5 chapters of Curtain Call by Julie and so far I'm enjoying it. Julie has done another fine job at creating a strong female character in the form of Cary an AI loser which I also thought was clever. The first few chapters were all about getting to know her. I'm looking forward to what comes next after this big reveal!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »

I just started reading The Other Side of Nick Carter by Ritz and I'm really enjoying it thus far! I'm only a couple of chapters in and it's funny how we got each other's stories. I said in one of my reviews how funny it is that she and I both have stories that parallel each other and got partnered up.
I like that the first chapter jumps right into the action then it goes back to explain how everything got up to that point. I don't want to give anything away but I dig it :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »

Thanks, Jullilly. :)

Sorry, guys, I've been MIA for two weeks. I went home for a two weeks vacation and since we just moved in to a new home, we didnt have internet connection yet. I am planning to start reading tomorrow. I am excited for this one. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »

I've been MIA a little bit, but I'm planning on getting some reading done this weekend. I did start it, and I really like how in the first chapter Lore tosses you into the world and you're expected to pick things up as you read. The curiosity of wanting to know just what is going on keeps you going :).
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13