Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)  (Read 36051 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 11:31:51 AM »

I also started Mare's, although I haven't gotten into my summer reading groove yet.  Expect more feedback after the 15th, when I have all the time in the world!  But I'm really enjoying Whatever the Night May Bring so far!  It's something different from Mare, the whole dark, post-apocalyptic world she's created, but at the same time, it still very much feels like a Mare story, the way she writes the Boys and their bond with each other.  When I think of a good Mare story, I think of bromance and suspense, and this one has both!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »

I started reading Figured You Out a few days ago just haven't been on AC lately. I like the concept of an over the top fan who is so obsessed with Nick, that she does some crazy ish. I'm wondering exactly how far she will go with this obsession. Will read more this weekend.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 02:55:19 AM »

I feel so bad I haven't started reading anything yet. Good thing I have all summer. Been doing 60 to 70 hour work weeks and I haven't had time. Hope to start reading soon. Thanks Erika, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 06:02:07 AM »

It's okay Tracy! As long as you guys are checking in here and letting us know what's going on all is well! So far all of you with the exception of one has done that which is great!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 11:12:45 PM »

Sorry I haven't checked in.  I haven't been feeling up tomuch of anything these  days but this Arizona heat is killing me right now. Give me another week and I should be back in full function mode once I've come  to terms with the fact that it's not going to dip below 100 for the next three to four months lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »

^ Well you checked in now and that's all that matters :)

I'm asking you guys to check in whether you have read or not just so your partner knows what's going on and I know no one has flaked on the challenge.

LOL Sorry about the heat, Considering how crazy the weather has been maybe it'll snow next week!

That being said, too all of you, if you haven't started yet, you might want to check that chapter count and make sure if it's a long one, you're giving yourself enough time to get it read by the end of August. Don't wait until the last week of August to start (not that I would let that happen anyway lol)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 04:36:07 AM »

I have already started Julilly's story. I am actually on chapter 3 but only left review on the first chapter. Since, I am reading during my lunch breaks i don't want to rush writing the review. I am thinking about it and will write it later.

I love the story! I can't believe on how close i might have written same story as the Hawk and a handsaw. But on my story, it was Brian who died and Nick finding out what caused Brian to commit suicide. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 04:04:38 PM »

Just finished up chapter 12 of Curtain Call. I really love that Julie decided to alternate points of view between Cary and Nick. I have just finished up Nick's first set of chapters and thought it was very clever the way his story back tracked so we could find out what was going on with Nick medically, culminating with his first meeting with Cary. This story has been great so far.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »

Thanks, Mare!

I read two more chapters of Whatever the Night May Bring last night and laughed my ass off at one of them.  I love how not only does the story alternate between pre- and post-apocalypse, but because of that, it also alternates between these dark, dramatic scenes and light-hearted, comic ones where you get to see the Boys being the Boys before the world went to hell.  It creates a nice balance, and it's an interesting way to tell the story because it's not quite chronological, so I still only know bits and pieces of how they came to be in the situation they're in.  It's a little like Lost in that way, maybe, from what I know about Lost without having actually watched the show.  No magic turtle, though... yet.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:01:59 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 07:01:28 PM »

Yet... ;) lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 04:24:49 AM »

Okay, I finally started my story for the reading challenge- Just One Kiss by Kevmylove. It's a Romance/Dramedy AU. I don't normally like to read romance but I wad chuckling halfway through this chapter. The comedy elements are keeping me interested. I enjoyed the IM convo between Nick and his date, it really added something fun to the mix.

I also liked the banter between Nick and AJ as Nick waited for his date at the observatory, where the beginning of this story takes place.

The female character, Abby seems very strong. She and Nick do not hit it off at first, something I didn't expect from a romance. I also liked their fight leading up to the steamy kiss. It was a great moment of passion and tension. So as far as the first chapter, I can tell I will enjoy the story. Erika has me interested. :)

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 04:37:07 AM »

^reading your answer made me remember how much I enjoyed reading JOK. You will love this story until the end, Tracy. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 04:45:53 AM »

Checking in again :) I'm on Chapter 11 of Just One Kiss now. Lots of hi jinx have taken place since I last left off. Nick and Abby are getting to feel awkward towards each other, especially after Nick invites her to a nude photo shoot. Abby is Tiffany's sister. Nick and Tiffany are engaged and Abby is supposed to be helping plan the wedding while the bride to be is in New York. I am curious to find out more about Tiffany and her boss as they seem to have a "close" relationship. Memorable scenes so far include a cake fight and Nick getting poison oak on his "twinkie". I'm really enjoying the comedy elements and will continue reading!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »

I have to commend Mare for being such a consistent reader with my story; she's been reading and reviewing a chapter per day every day since she started Curtain Call, and it's been fun to have a new review waiting in my inbox when I wake up every morning.

I have not been such a consistent reader; I tend to read in spurts, a few chapters at a time when I feel like it, but now that my summer vacation has officially started, I should be able to read some every day.  I got to a pivotal part of Whatever the Night May Bring today, the emergency landing the story has been teasing the whole time.  It's getting really exciting - and creepy - now!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »

Thanks, Julie! I love reading first thing in the morning. It's when I am the most focused. It's been fun reading a chapter a day. It's kind of like watching a soap knowing a new episode is going to be there every morning waiting for me. It's also helping me keep track of the date lmao

As for mine, take your time. It was fun seeing all the reviews in my inbox. I give you credit, I don't think I would have the attention span to read as much as you did. Lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13