Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)  (Read 36065 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »

I really enjoyed doing the reading challenge again. I also liked it better this year, not because of who I was paired up with, but it just was more fun. Last year Steph gave me some good CC that I needed. Although I was upset a bit at first, I am glad I participated.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »

Sorry to hear you've had such a rough few months Dottie, hope things get better for you. 

I've enjoyed the reading challenge and can't wait to do it all over again :)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »

I enjoyed this year much more than last year. I didn't really get bad reviews last year, yet I got a really low score. So I didn't understand that. I think this way is much more easier and fair.

Its great that most of us enjoyed it. Sorry for Terr...I hope you participate next year!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »

Name of story: Chronos Project by Lore

1) When you were asked to pick a story for the challenge, what made you choose this one and why didn't you read it before this point?

Because I love sci-fi and it is typically my type of story. One of the reasons I didn't read it is cause I knew it was Kevin centered (which normally isn't me so much as say Nick or Brian lol). The other reason, is because Lore was consistently advertising it as she was writing. I don't say it to be mean, but to me, it's a turn off when someone does that too much. It's been why I haven't read stories by other authors too.

2) What actually was the biggest challenge for you when it came to reading the story?

Honestly? Not wanting to reach through the screen and throttle Julie, the main lead. It's in 3rd person but it's not omnificent , it focuses on her thoughts and because she came off as a bit dumb and annoying to me, it drove me crazy LOL.

3) When reading, did you feel like it was something you really were looking forward to or more a homework assignment? Did that change once you got into it?

A bit of both. I really liked the plot, it was very creative. At the same time, because this was a challenge, and because I know she's looking to possibly self-published, I also looked at it as an assignment. I made sure to find out things she could fix and give her the best constructive criticism I could.

4) What was your favorite part of the story?

When Kevin first kisses Julie. I feel like that was the best developed relationship in the story.

5) Who was your favorite character and why?

I actually liked Nick as a villain. I feel like she should've shown more in his perspective, because there was a depth to him and his motivations.

6) What about your least favorite character and why?

Julie. I really didn't like her as a character. She didn't seem to learn from the past mistakes or grow much as a person. Because of that, it made reading the story a little rougher for me, as it centers around her.

7) If there was a sequel to this story, would be you interested in reading it?

Honestly? Maybe not until I knew Lore worked out the issues on Julie in the sequel. Part of me is curious about what could happen in the sequel, but since I know it centers around a character I disliked it puts me off it a bit.

8) Were you happy with the ending? Did it end the way you predicted it would?

I did, and yeah, once I got into it more I knew she wouldn't kill Kevin at all. So I wasn't surprised to see a happy end for him and Julie.

9) Overall, if you had to take away something from the story, what do you think the lesson learned was?

The past happened for a reason and without it, we wouldn't have the world we do today.

10) Give us one final review that you feel sums up your experience reading this, maybe why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one.

I feel there's a lot of potential in the story creatively. The story does at times seem a bit rushed. Things that could've been shown, should have, for character development and for emotional impact were told. Because of that, it doesn't have the feeling it's supposed to. The original characters motivations don't match up to their actions the way they should. At the same time, a lot of research was done in the history and past times people jumped to and so you know Lore did her homework instead of pulling it out of her ass lol, which I appreciated. There are some great things Lore created for this story and so I feel like with a full rewrite and changes, she could have something.

11) For the readers who did this last year and this year, which did you prefer, reading each other's stories or reading someone other than who was reading yours?

Reading each other's, this way if someone bailed, you had the option of stopping LOL.

12) Any final comments or suggestions for next year to make this work even better?

I was happy with the way it went this year, so no.

13) Any final comments for the author?

I really hope I was helpful! :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2012, 11:49:09 PM »

thanks for all your comments Rose I have taken a lot in as I am working on rewriting.  I've noticed inconsistenies with Julie as I started the rewrite, some pointed out by you some I just realized how out of character later actions of hers were.  

The sequel is nothing special so I am not offended you aren't reading it.  

I am glad you enjoyed the research I did into the history and the plot.  I found a boo boo in the early chapters with my history and the timing but I have corrected that already.  HEH.  

I thought about going into Nick's perspective, and Kevin's perspective but I felt that might take some of the suspense out of it if we knew what they were thinking too, though I have been asked if I would rewrite CP in Nick's POV.  

I'm kind of sad that I won't get you opinion on my changes to the characters and story during my rewrite, to see if I develop them better.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »

You wouldn't be able to show it early on, but later on I feel like you could. Since at that point you know Nick is evil lol. There's a lot of emotion you could tap into with Nick. I'm glad you're taking a closer look at Julie. Because she's the center, it's so important she's not off putting. :)

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2012, 06:56:04 AM »

Just a little check in :)

People who have finished reading their stories:

Lore
Tracy
carterkid
Ritz
Erika
Julie
Steph
Mare
Sue
Dottie
Rose

Congrats, you all get a gold star!!

People who need to get a moving:

Julilly

* If you haven't filled out your surveys be sure to do so! Overall it looks like we might actually all finish the challenge this year! Woot!

*eyes Julilly* :) lol
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:40:10 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »

If I had 45 seconds to myself each day it would be easier lol I only have a couple chapters left luckily.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2012, 06:52:05 AM »

I'm all caught up! Did nothing at work but damnit I'm no longer the only person not done lol survey to come!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »

Yay!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »

Just checking in again!

and lookie here!

People who have completed the reading portion of the challenge:

Lore
Tracy
carterkid
Ritz
Erika
Julie
Steph
Mare
Sue
Dottie
Rose
Julilly

People who still need to finish: Uh that would be nobody!

WE ARE AWESOME!!

Thank you all so much for taking this challenge seriously and seeing it through to the end. I truly do appreciate it and I know everyone else did too!

So, now that we're pretty much done, just waiting for a survey here or there, any final thoughts, comments or opinions?

Overall I think this year's was much more enjoyable. It seemed like everyone was more eager to participate and liked the pairing up.

Thanks again!! :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »

Yay, I'm glad everyone completed the challenge this year!  I really liked the pairings. 
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »

I'm so glad it was a success this year, I really enjoyed it :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »

I think this did much better than last year. The pairings worked out perfectly!

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

I've already said it but I loved how it worked. The pairings worked nicely.  :) 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13