Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)  (Read 36223 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 12:35:46 PM »

Story you are reading:  Whatever The Night May Bring by Mare

How many chapters are in the story?  47

What chapter are you currently on?  19

Are the main characters easily defined and strong?
Yes!  The main characters are the five Boys, although there are a few original characters in smaller roles.  What's most interesting to me about the Boys is seeing how different they are in the post-apocalyptic scenes compared to the Millennium era ones.  Because the story goes back and forth, the change is obvious - they are definitely dynamic characters!  Even though they change individually, though, that brotherly relationship Mare writes so well stays consistent, which is great!

Have you figured out the overall plot of the story?
Yes and no.  The parts I'm meant to understand make sense so far, but because of the way it jumps back and forth between two time periods, I'm still missing pieces of the puzzle, which is what keeps me guessing.  I can connect some of the dots, but I have no idea where it's all going once the "past" parts catch up to the "future" ones.

So far what has been your favorite scene?
I think Chapter 6 has been my favorite chapter so far, just because it cracked me up - typical old-school BSB hijinks!  But a more recent scene I read that stands out in my mind is one from Chapter 12 when they're walking and come across the sea of dead birds in the middle of the road.  The imagery was fantastic and so creepy that it literally gave me goosebumps!

Has the story been edited enough to read comfortably?
Yes.  One thing that's been bugging me (and I don't think Mare could help this) is the formatting issue that leaves giant gaps of white space between paragraphs, but reading ahead to her author's note in Chapter 20, it looks like that was resolved for the rest of the story.  I just didn't like having to scroll so much!

Do you have any questions for the author?
Other than the obvious "How did you come up with this?" not offhand.  I usually ask questions in my reviews if I have them, but most of my questions with this one are just plot things that I know will be answered if I just keep reading!

Is this something you are looking forward to reading the entire way through?
Yes!

Is the author responding to your feedback regularly?
Of course, it's Mare!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 02:12:45 PM »

Thanks, Julie! Yeah the formatting thing drove me crazy for this one, unfortunately because I never really go back and read my stuff after it's posted it took awhile for me to realize the gap thing was happening so I had to go re-edit every chapter and I think at the end it happened again but I was too lazy to fix it. If I feel ambitious maybe i'll fix the last few for you before you get there lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2012, 02:15:19 PM »

That's so annoying!  Don't worry, I'll survive if you don't get around to fixing it LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »

It was so weird because it's never happened to me before and when I posted it originally it came out looking normal. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »

Story you are reading: Curtain Call by Julie

How many chapters are in the story? 90

What chapter are you currently on? 23

The main characters are Nick and a girl named Cary and both are very strong and independent characters. I think i'm the only person who hasn't read this story yet so I won't go into details lol

Yup, I enjoyed the way the plot unfolded through both characters points of view. 

I would have to say this past chapter I read has been my favorite so far just because it was the first one to have the boys in it and Julie does a great job of writing them and their relationship together.

Uh... two words - grammar Nazi! lol

Not really because I kind of ask as I review. I'm liking our conversations within the reviews!

Yes, very much so. I read a chapter a day first thing in the morning and I always look forward to opening it up and reading the next chapter, as long as AC decides to co-operate!

Yes she rocks at that!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »

Uh... two words - grammar Nazi! lol

Thanks, Mare! ;D  Although I will tell you, even Miss Grammar Nazi highlighted 27 typos/errors when reading this on her Kindle that she needs to go back and correct!  Scheiße!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »

^ just missed words here or there. I have to admit I do smile when I see them and say "She missed one!!" lmao

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »

^ just missed words here or there. I have to admit I do smile when I see them and say "She missed one!!" lmao

Yep, that's mostly what they were.  I do a lot of editing as I write (which is why it takes me so long) and proofread before I post, but my eyes must just skip over those missing words multiple times as my brain fills them in for me! LOL
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »

Same for me! No matter how many times I re-read, I always end up missing something! LOL

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »

Story you are reading:

- Just One Kiss by Kevmylove

How many chapters are in the story?

- I think 33

What chapter are you currently on?

- as of this morning I'm on Chapter 12 or 13

- Nick's character definitely is but Abby isn't as much, although I do like her. She has a strong personality.

- Absolutely.

- I have two, one where Nick gets Poison Oak on his private parts and the other when Nick and Abby are trying cake and his dog gets loose in the cake shop.

- Yes it has, its easy to read.

- I wonder where she drew her inspiration from for this story but other than that I ask things in my reviews.

- Yes I am :)

- Erika hasn't been responding to reviews via the site but has been leaving me thank you comments on my twitter to make up for it. She's trying and I appreciate it.

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »

Story you are reading:Snowed In

How many chapters are in the story? 15

What chapter are you currently on? N/A

Are the main characters easily defined and strong? yes

Have you figured out the overall plot of the story? yes

So far what has been your favorite scene? The part where Brian comes in and stands in the doorway.The other guys can't get in. LOL

Has the story been edited enough to read comfortably? yes,you can read it but there were small places with missing words.

Do you have any questions for the author? not right now don't know if that will change.

Is this something you are looking forward to reading the entire way through? I have my story done.It was a great read.

Is the author responding to your feedback regularly? yes

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:50:40 PM by carterkid »

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 04:29:39 AM »

I was about to copy/paste the questions of the survey when I saw the first line saying I must read at least 5 chapters before filling out the survey. lol I have to read two more chapters to qualify. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2012, 06:23:27 AM »

That's okay, Ritz! I picked five chapters because at this point in June that should be the least you have read to this point unless you are reading a very short story. You're almost there though! I just did my check lol

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2012, 12:01:47 PM »

Spoke too soon about Kevin lol. He came back again in the next chapter, oops!  :P

While Julie's not catching my attention, the way Lore writes Kevin is. I definitely like how he's portrayed.

On another note, I do wanna ask why there's author's notes saying what's coming in the chapter. As a reader I HATE that cause I don't wanna know till I read it LOL. It's just a pet peeve on my end cause it feels like a spoiler I can't control. So I don't get the point of it.

if you can figure out what it is about Julie that is not catching your attention I would love to know so I can grow with my non-bsb leads. 

I did quite enjoy writing Kevin in this story. :)

I did the author notes for this story because back on ff.net days I remember doing the chapter teasers and thought I would use it for this one.  I don't typically use them but I did for this.  The only thing I found it useful for was me going back to find scenes while I was writing later chapters so I could try to keep plot points straight.   I did it for the sequel too but not sure I'd continue it for the last one.  I don't like them now either but not sure if I should go through and delete them or leave them be since that is how did it originally.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »

Story you are reading:  Remember Me This Way

How many chapters are in the story?  39 + Introduction and Epilogue

What chapter are you currently on? 10

Are the main characters easily defined and strong?  I have a clear understanding of Nick’s character and how he is reacting to his predicament

Have you figured out the overall plot of the story? I knew it going in…

So far what has been your favorite scene?  I like the description of the therapist and her strange baubles, lol because I knew who that was based off of.  I do love the scene between Nick and Kevin when he finally breaks down and tells Kevin what is going on with him.

Has the story been edited enough to read comfortably? Yes, it’s Rose so of course it is.

Do you have any questions for the author?  I usually ask them in my reviews and Rose is good about answering them so far 

Is this something you are looking forward to reading the entire way through?  Honestly, no. It has NOTHING to do with the story, the plot is good, the story flows well and the story is being told incredibly well.   I am not looking forward to the tears being fought back as I read….

Is the author responding to your feedback regularly? Yes and I appreciate it.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13