Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 62572 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Question of the day thread number 2!
« on: June 24, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »

Thought i'd start a new thread since the other one was running pretty long. I did leave the other one opened for anyone who wants to answer the questions or add on to what was said prior to today. :)

Tonight's question:

After reading the diverse answers some of you had, here is the question. How do you tend to characterize the guys when you write them? Give us a few descriptions for each guy and if you write a lot of female leads what characteristic s do you tend to give them?

Kevin
Howie
Brian
AJ
Nick
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »

Yay for thread number 2!

Now for today's question!

Kevin - I tend to write Kevin in the cliched fatherly/leader role.  He's always a supporting character in my stories, usually the one who gives advice (whether it's asked for or not) or tries to take charge in tough situations, except for the one in which he's comatose with a bullet in his brain, of course.  I'm surprised I don't take him out of commission more often simply because he's the leader; it's fun to do, but I guess I just don't care enough to ever make him the main focus of a story LOL.

Howie - I usually write Howie in a similar role as Kevin, especially after Kevin left and Howie became the unofficial leader of the band.  My Howie is more good-natured and easygoing than my Kevin, but he's usually the voice of reason, as well as the peacemaker.  I like writing Howie alongside AJ or Nick the best.  He's usually the one looking out for AJ or tolerating Nick picking on him all the time.  I love that he still calls Nick "Nicky" from time to time; I always include a few strategically placed "Nicky"s in my Nick tearjerkers.  Howie's good for bromance!  My absolute favorite way to write Howie, though, is as Dr. Rough, his character in 00Carter, in which the tears of being mocked have caused him to snap, turning him into a power-hungry supervillain who is also super-sensitive about his shortcomings and would freak out at my use of the word "short."

Brian - My Brian changes depending on his role in the story and who he's with.  When paired with Kevin or Howie, my Brian is the goofy one, good for comic relief.  When paired with Nick or AJ, he's either equally goofy so that they play off each other well, or he comes across as the more mature, serious one.  I've written angsty Brian, who wallows in self-pity, and I've written strong Brian, who is there for whichever one (usually Nick) is wallowing instead.  Whatever the situation, though, there are certain characteristic s I always keep when I write Brian: his sense of humor, his faith, his love of music, his devotion to his family, and the back story about his heart condition.  I'm a Brian girl, and to me, those are all key components to what make Brian Brian, so even in an AU, those things stay a part of him.

AJ - Like I said in the other thread, AJ is one of my favorites to write as a supporting character, although I do like to write him as the lead sometimes, too.  In his supporting role, he's usually either a source of comic relief or a source of conflict.  He lightens the mood, cracks inappropriate jokes, and says the stuff no one else has the balls to say.  But he's also most likely to react badly to difficult situations and have a total meltdown.  Fun-loving AJ is my favorite, but dark, angsty AJ is good for drama.

Nick - Nick is similar to Brian in that I write him differently depending on the story.  When he's in a supporting role, he's usually more immature and annoying, whereas when he's the main character, he seems more thoughtful and serious.  I write him differently now than I did a few years, I think partly because of how much he's grown up and changed in past few years and partly because of how much I'VE grown up and changed.  I used to write Nick as kind of a mess - insecure, angsty, emo, even suicidal at times.  My Nick nowadays is usually more confident and chill about things.  In serious stories, anyway.  In not-serious ones, he's still silly and playful.  I use a lot of mannerisms when I write Nick, like that smirk he does that says "You can't resist me; I know I'm hot," and waggling his eyebrows, licking his lips, putting his hand in his hair, all that stuff he does that is so hot LOL.  I usually have an easy time picturing him and his body language as I write.

Female leads - My female leads are usually based on some part of myself or someone I know, or they're the kind of girl I wish I was, without being so idealized that they turn into Mary Sue.  The character Jori in Secrets of the Heart, for example, is an exaggerated version of my sister.  Cary in Curtain Call and Claire in Broken are both sort of my ideals, but with real qualities of the two opposite sides of my personality.  Cary is the girly side whose personality is similar to how I am around most people in real life - kind of quiet and reserved, a little insecure, but trustworthy and sweet, a nurturer.  Claire is the tomboy side whose personality is more similar to how I am online and among my closest friends and family - more outgoing, twisted sense of humor, not afraid of what people think, will say whatever, even if it's "Suck it up and stop feeling sorry for yourself."  They both have characteristic s that I idealize, like their looks (Cary is classically pretty and can pull off red lipstick; Claire is more plain-looking, but has red hair - I love red hair!), Cary's musical talent, and Claire's spitfire personality, but my intent was that they also have flaws that prevent them from being Mary Sues or at least enough quirk to make them likable.  I don't like female leads that are too perfect, but Anti-Sues that try too hard to NOT be perfect, yet are somehow still adored by everyone in the story (Bella Swan), are even more annoying.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »

Kevin - He's always the big brother, sometimes things get to him. But because of the things he's done for the others over the years, he's the one looking out and taking care of the other four as much as he can.

Howie - I try to write Howie as understanding yet understated. I just now started playing with the idea of the Nick/Howie bond (in RMTW), and I liked it cause people forget about him. That, or I use that to mock it and have him get revenge LOL. And in stories where Kevin's not on tour with them, I want to play with the idea of Howie having had to take on the leader role.

Brian - Understanding with his cheesy outgoing sense of humor lol. I like writing him as true to his faith but I've liked playing with things that make him question it. He's usually the one I send people to for advice if Kevin's not around. He has such a perfect life, that I usually give him hell in some form or another in a fic so that way I can take his character into new places.

AJ - AJ immediately gets my morbid sense of humor. He's the one who will say what he feels no matter what. And then I like to try and give him this twisted and sometimes detached perspective on things. I'll even do stuff like write him with depression cause honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he ever got diagnosed with that in real life.

Nick  - He tends to be jaded, about what fame has taken from him, his family life. I like writing him as the brother always worrying about his siblings despite how they treat him. And then the one who needs the group more than anyone cause it's his only family. He gets little nuances like singing randomly or when he's nervous, and he gets my random train of thought cause we all know how random he is for real lol.

Female leads - usually they're built off of one aspect of myself at the time. Like Cali in Just Another Day had all my insecurities. I gave her the talents of one of my cousins, and flipped my favorite subject on to one she hated. She was really shy, which is what I used to be as a kid but wasn't when I wrote it. Riley, in Song For The Undead, is a bigger bitch than I could be lol, but its her biggest flaw. She has my temper though, my way of being cautiously detached if I worry about being hurt. She's definitely tougher than me, and far more cynical. I gave her my former love of journalism lol. Grace in Divine Intervention has my wry attitude about things, and my way of teasing when she gives Nick a hard time. She definitely will (once I write it) make mistakes that I wouldn't even consider though, back when she was alive, and have bigger regrets. So basically I take a couple of aspects of me, but not all, blow some up into flaws, and some into great qualities, and then toss in other characterizati ons from other people in my life to make someone new.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »

Kevin - I tend to write Kevin stereotypicall y as the older brother, leader type. He tends to be my role model and voice of reason in most of my stories. He loves and tends to be over protective of the rest of the boys, especially of Nick and AJ. When I write him and his relationship with Howie, I tend to have them be more friends than anything else. Two equals hanging out. With Howie, I tend to show the more fun side of Kevin. The one that likes to joke and have a good time. I usually make him pretty intense, and rarely give him comic lines. He's my straight man but does get a lot of ribbing from the others. LOL

Howie - I try to write him as the humble, nice guy. Always willing to listen to everyone. I guess he's my shoulder to cry on guy. Always the one people know will give them the time of day if needed. I do try to make him a protector as well because I see that in him, based on interviews I've seen where he talks about the younger guys. I like to showcase his relationship with Kevin and Nick the most. With Kevin, I usually make him the one who's not afraid to stand his ground and say what he thinks. I have always thought Nick and Howie have had a very special relationship and I try to pull that out as often as I can. I really do try to not make Howie fade in the background too much and I think I do okay with that.

Brian - He's the feel good guy. The one who always seems to be happy go lucky. The perfect life, the perfect,family. Doesn't complain a whole lot and because he's been so isolated, he's kind of close minded with things. That's generally how I approach him. I find him the hardest to write probably because I find him the hardest to relate to. I like to make him goofy but not over the top goofy but I also like to make him serious as well. I guess he's always the guy in the middle. I noticed I don't write him overly tight or close to any of them but just enough to keep that brotherly bond going with all five.

AJ - Is my comic relief. He's the one that has no internal censor and says whatever he thinks. Classic AJ moment is when I actually met him and he used the term "I woke up at the crack of ass!" LOL I have used that line in a fic and I think that sums him up. Underneath the tattoos and make up and whatever else makes AJ 'unique" I think he's the most normal personality wise. I think he's actually the glue that binds the guys all together. He seems to have a special relationship with all of the guys and I can see him being the one to never really take sides and instead see it from everyone else's perspective.

Nick - I do a very stereotypical Nick as well but he has SO many layers, that I feel like there is no such thing as a stereotypical Nick anymore. I enjoy making him the typical little brother. Care free and reckless but thoughtful. I try not to make him overly dumb because even as a kid, I never bought into that dumb blonde thing. I truly believe it was just an act. I think he has always been the most observant member of the group when it comes to watching other people's behavior. I like to make him shy, and a bit vulnerable but of course also a lot of fun when it comes to being around the guys. He lacks trust usually but not them. He would do anything for the other four in my world anyway. lol

Female leads - I don't really write female leads but my female characters tend to have a lot of my traits. I actually give Nick more of myself than I give the girls lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »

Kevin- I've written him quite a few ways. Usually he is the annoyed big brother or a jerk....in Forces Of Nature he is very arrogant and snarky. Other stories he gives advice or is the go to guy. like that father figure Nick needs. However in Still The One he was a warm, funny guy. So he can be anything.

Howie- I don't include him much but I make him the business minded serious one. The one who took over for Kevin after he left, the leader. I've made him the "new Kevin".

Brian-  He is usually the sidekick, the guy who'd do anything for his friends. I like him in my AU series, he's a cop with a ultra sensitive side....and a manly complex (no crying in front of girls). I love to write his relationship with Nick...carefre e and wise at the same time.

AJ- He's another comic relief, whether it be walking around in SPONGEBOB boxers, or cracking inappropriate jokes....he is also like a big brother to Nick. He gives advice even if it turns out to backfire, and tells things how it is. AJ is very straightforwar d, no bullshit.

Nick- I usually write him somewhat shy, a bit self conscious. He views the guys as his family more than his own, puts his friends over himself. He's the one who would do anything for someone he loves. I like writing him as the hopeless romantic, but I also write him as how he is in real life. I make him the jokester, childish at times but somewhat wise. He's the easiest for me to write.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:32:09 AM »

Kevin - I usually have Kevin as the big brother/leader type.  He's always there for the others, and likes to help in any way he can, whether they want his help or not.  He's the serious one who keeps them all in line.  Trustworthy, honest and very dependable.

Howie - I write him a bit like Kevin, but he's a lot more easy going and fun to be around.  He's a peacekeeper and someone who can be trusted to confide in.  He is also pranked and made fun of by Nick, when he's not winking in a corner, lol.

Brian - He's usually in the background and doesn't feature much in my stories.

AJ - I usually have AJ saying whatever comes into his head, no matter what it is.  He's the entertaining one and the life of the party, but also a wimp, lol.  I like to make him scared to do things.  I also like to write him as a bit of a man whore (I've done that in romances).

Nick - I write him as outgoing but who deep down isn't all that confident.  He likes to put on an act for people.  He's childish at times, but dependable and loyal to his friends. 

Female Leads - I usually base them on people I know, parts of myself or how I'd want to be.     

usako

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »

Kevin: Just like most of you, even in mine he's always the leader/father. Especially, I love exploring his relationship with Brian and I always end up making him the overproctive cousin who chase around Brian because he doesn't want to eat. lol

Howie: mh... it depends. Most of the times, I forgot to add him. Poor Howie. He's usually the diplomatic one, the one who everyone goes to for an advice. When there isn't Kevin around, he's the father who looks after the other three, even if he isn't that strict with the food role. lol

Aj: He's my favorite supportive character. Since my stories are mostly slash, he's the one who helps Brian and Nick whenever they have some problems (yes, he even has played the part of cupid in one). I'm trying to explore his fragile side, the costant need to not be alone and have someone by his side, even if he's being used. I see him as a strong figure because, no matter how hard things have been, he's on his feet.

Nick: My Nick is a lot mature, even though he makes a lot of mistakes. But, especially with Brian, I love describing him as the guy who isn't afraid to love and to be the one taking care of his loved one. And it's really challenging because most of the stories that I've read, especially the Brian and Nicks pairing, as usually Brian as the strong one and Nick as the fragile one. I love playing with this cliché, showing how Nick can and grow and can be Brian's rock even though the difference in age.

Brian: the biggest thing that I love showing is his strenght. So, most of the times, I put him through hell just to show how he never fails to fall. Because I believe that behind a smile and a mask of being sure of themselves and a perfect life, there can be a lot of fears, insecurities or just bad things that he doesn't want to share with anyone. I always write him as the guy who bottles everything inside because he dosn't want to shatters the image that fans and the world, sometimes even his friends, has about him, as the guy who is always happy and who hasn't been through anything. The fact that he doesn't tell them doesn't mean that they didn't happen. And that's why I find him more interesting as a character than the rest of the guys.  :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »

Wanted to add that I like writing Nick as intelligent, I never went the "dumb blonde" route. He says stupid things sometimes but overall I like to make him smart.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »

Tonight's question:

Do you enjoy reading stories where the guys are way out of character?

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »

it depends on if I am enjoying the plot or not.  If I enjoy the plot then I will continue to read the story.

though I can't think of a plot that I could keep reading when the boys were way out of character.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 03:50:57 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »

I was reading the last thread but it was too big by the time I got into it so I was kinda overwhelmed. I wanna try to actually keep up now and post answers everyday. Sooo in the spirit of answering questions too, here's my character sketches of the guys:

Kevin
I usually write Kevin like a wise old sage. Kevin = Yoda. Seriously. Like a lot of you said, he's the father figure, he's the one that's gonna bust their chops when they're doing something they shouldn't be doing. But he's also the one that they turn to when they need help, regardless of how much trouble they think they'll be in for it. Kevin's the one that has the answers and feels helpless/useless when he doesn't. He's ambitious, and always has to have the last word. He'd rather fight a losing battle than admit he's wrong, even when he IS wrong and realizes he should really cave in a lot of times he'll just keep fighting anyways because that's his shtick. He likes picking on Brian, gives the Dirty Brow a lot, and usually turns up in hotel rooms awake and waiting like a panther when the guys are out late when they shouldn't be. In my stories, his kyrptonite is being recognized for what he is. Kevin gets really teary eyed when any of the Boys (especially Nick) thank him for being the strong fearless leader. Oh, and he's usually kinda grumpy, but he doesn't mean to be. Really. It's all in love.

Howie
Depending on how "in the story" Howie is really depends how I write him. Sometimes he's more like Kevin, sometimes he's more like Brian. If I have to write Howie for any length of time, he trends towards being a mixture of "intelli-Nick" and Brian with a dash of AJ-pre-rehab tossed in. Howie's kind of the melding pot of their personalities. He tends to say swears in Spanish (did you know there's whole websites dedicated to cussing in Spanish?) and likes to yell TEQUILAAAA in bars. His favorite past time is sleeping and drinking (he's really expanded since December as prior to Cruise it was just sleeping but cruise taught me a lot about our little Latin Lover). Howie's usually the one who talks when I don't know who else to have say what needs to be said. He's usually annoyed with Nick (in a loving manner). I tend to play him off of AJ the way Nick and Brian play off each other. I guess AJ and Howie are like Frick & Frack 2.0. With more liqor involved. TEQUIIIILAAAAA A!!

Brian
Brian tends to be a really thoughtful person with a playful personality. He's not afraid to goof off, but at the same time he knows when he's crossed a line. Or is about to. He's usually paired off with Nick, but he's the one that blends most easily with the other guys (for some reason Howie and Brian don't work well together when I write them and that may be because I find that in my opinion their two voices don't blend very well when it's just them singing - i.e., What Makes You Different Makes You Beautiful sung live...the CD version's okay but the live version, oy vey). Brian doesn't cuss a lot, so when he does he's making a point. Or he's drunk. Which by the way can we talk about how easy it is to get Brian drunk? He makes out with lamps when he does. Brian's Kentucky comes out when he says things like "Oh m'Lord" or "Oh m'gosh" - which he says frequently. Brian also enjoys prayer. But his favorite past time is kicking Nick's ass - I mean hinney - on the bball court.

AJ
I feel like AJ needs to be two separate categories:
Drunk AJ - Drunk AJ is quick to anger, drunk or drinking, and likes to cuss.
Sober AJ - Sober AJ is quick to anger, drinks Red Bull, and likes to cuss.
Wait maybe I don't need sepatate categories after all?
AJ is really a say-it-like-it-is-no-bars-held-shoot-from-the-hip kinda guy. If something rude needs to be said, AJ's on the job. He bulleys Nick sometimes but out of love and usually Kevin or Brian or Howie will yell at him. He gets emotional. He has a crappy past and he takes it out on people. Did I mention he likes cussing?

Nick
Ah Nick. Nick likes saying stupid things but is uncannily wise at times, he just doesn't realize it. He's learned a lot, usually the hard way, and continues to do so through the stories I write. He likes to eat when he's younger - especially twinkies and M&Ms - and when he's older he doesn't eat as much as he thinks about sex. Nick has a super power - it's his perviness. Nick is able to make almost anything perverted. He plays the blonde hair card a lot but the fact is the dude's not stupid. He just wants you to think he is so he can take over the world. Nick overreacts, he's a drama king, and he's hyper. He likes having episodes of ADD, and enjoys fish tanks. He hates Llamas. Well, he wants you to think he does anyways, secretly he loves them. Like a lot.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »

Tonight's question:

They aren't like automatically bad but I don't consider them Fan Fiction either, unless there's a reason the guys are out of character and that reason's explained in the story. IMO, if you're writing fan fiction about the guys you should be striving to at least get the personalities true to life or else it's original fiction. But I wouldn't NOT read a story because of that, I'd just see it as an OF in my mind.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »

Tonight's question:

No.

In fact, it was nice to see that our answers to yesterday's questions were all fairly similar, other than which Boy we tend to write about the most.  I used the word "cliched" when describing how I write Kevin, but I noticed just about everyone else described him the same way, and it's because that's how we all see him; that's how he's always come across in real life, and that's what we love about him.  Would we want to read him any other way?  Personally, no.

I've read stories where the Boys are very out of character, and I just don't get into them as much.  When I read fanfic, I want to read about the Backstreet Boys I know and love, not random men with their names.  Even in an AU, they should be recognizable by their personalities, not just their names and looks.  And if they are vastly different, there should be a reason for it, and it should be part of the story.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »

for some reason Howie and Brian don't work well together when I write them

I thought this was interesting because I kinda feel the same way about Howie and Brian.  They're the only "pairing" that I don't really feel a connection with.  Not that I think they don't get along or love each other the same as the other guys, but they just don't seem to go together as well.  All of the other pairings have something interesting to play with...

Brian/Kevin = cousins
Brian/Nick = Frick & Frack
Brian/AJ = total opposites, but play off each other's sense of humor well
Howie/Kevin = the leaders, the mature ones
Howie/AJ = best friends when the group formed
Howie/Nick = Nick picks on Howie; Howie puts up with it
Nick/Kevin = big brother/little brother relationship
Nick/AJ = the "bad boys," both have demons
AJ/Kevin = Kevin saved AJ's life

Brian/Howie = ...??

They're both sweet, nice guys, who are close to their families, and they can sing high.  That's all I got LOL.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »

I would read it if it was well written but I really prefer reading the guys as themselves or at least have some of their own traits. Even for AU they should still be recognizable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27