Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 63435 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 08:01:54 AM »

You do it well :)

I did the same exact thing in Why I'd blah blah blah. Because I switched POVs within almost every chapter, I would try to make sure people knew who it was just by changes in speech patterns and dialogue.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

Steph, I never have a problem telling whose POV each part in Running is in within a couple of sentences.  Nick's "voice" is especially distinctive from the other three, and the wives are good clues for the other three LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 12:44:17 PM »

Tonight's question:

Relating to that 50 Shades of Gray thread kind of lol

Have you ever read a fanfic because so many people have recommended it only to go, "Wow, that was a piece of crap?" The question is more if you didn't enjoy it, were you bold enough to actually admit it? Or did you just kind of play along and act like you thought it was the bees knees as well?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »

^ Obviously it would be best not to go into specifics so no feelings are hurt.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »

Tonight's question:

Have you ever read a fanfic because so many people have recommended it only to go, "Wow, that was a piece of crap?" The question is more if you didn't enjoy it, were you bold enough to actually admit it? Or did you just kind of play along and act like you thought it was the bees knees as well?

I'm definitely one of those people that will give anything a shot. I like to be able to form an educated opinion on things. I can't have an opinion if I've never read it. I will tell people it's not for me but I usually give things the benefit of the doubt because I know someone will find it interesting/entertaining.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »

Yes, I've read things people have raved about and wondered what all the fuss was about.  Luckily it wasn't on AC :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »

I've read fanfics that others have raved about and not enjoyed them, but usually it's just a matter of taste, more than the quality of the story not being up to par.  I can see why other people like what they like without liking it myself.

I would never say that I thought a story was a piece of crap to the author or the person who recommended it to me, even if I really thought it was, but I would say something like, "I couldn't really get into it that one" or "It just wasn't my cup of tea."  I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings with brutal honesty, but I'm not going to fake-gush about something I didn't like just to make someone feel good either.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

^ yup, same here.

I have read several stories based on people's opinions and have come out of it not really knowing why everyone loved them so much. It is a matter of personal taste I believe. Never once did I read something that a lot of people recommended and when opened it was full of grammatical errors and just bad writing. It's usually the plot or characters that I have a problem with.

I would only tell the truth to the actual author if they asked me for real feedback on it. Tactfully of course lol

I do however not hold back if I don't like something which I think by now, you are all aware of *coughsTwilightNKOTBcoughs* lol 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 11:14:37 PM »

I may have recommended some of those stories to you!  *cough*Faceless*cough* ;D  And vice versa; I didn't love every story we read for FFF back in the day either.  But if we all liked the same things, there wouldn't be as much variety as there is in the stories being written, posted, and read on AC.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 11:23:22 PM »

Strangely I haven't had that happen. Usually when people recommend a story to me I like it, unless it is a visual, I'm not really fond of those type of stories usually.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 03:47:14 AM »

Tonight's question:

Definitely LOL. Like everyone raves about that Oreos story, and I never once saw the appeal. And maybe there's something about it, but clearly whatever it was, I missed it LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 04:41:10 AM »

I may have recommended some of those stories to you!  *cough*Faceless*cough* ;D  And vice versa; I didn't love every story we read for FFF back in the day either.  But if we all liked the same things, there wouldn't be as much variety as there is in the stories being written, posted, and read on AC.

Yes, it was the FFF days where that seemed to happen the most without a doubt! lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 05:49:55 AM »

The stories I've been recommended on AC have been ones I've enjoyed. 

But when I first got into the Twilight books and read some Twilight fics, there was this one story which people were gushing over (it wasn't 50 Shades) so I thought I'd give it a go.  It was absolute crap, the plot was ridiculous enough but it was full of typos too.  I read a chapter or two and then clicked right out of there :)

I would never tell someone their story was crap as it's a matter of taste and obviously we all have different taste.  If I don't like something, I stop reading it and don't review.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 02:15:05 PM »

Okay time for a confession that maybe you all know but I feel like I'm holing up inside: I'm AWFUL at reading fan fics. I don't know why, I just am. It's really rare that a story catches my attention enough to finish it. Of course, that's true with regular fiction too. I don't know what my issue is, but I'm not one of those people that will finish a story just because I started it unless I really really like the characters a lot. So a lot of times I won't even start reading a story until the story's over. I don't do well waiting for upates and stuff. So I don't read things that are still being written so I'm usually behind the times for reading anyways. Part of this is so that I don't end up reading multiple stories and getting lost in the story lines and stuff since we're all writing about the same five guys it's easy to confuse who did what in which book and miss stuff. I'll always give a chance to things that come recommended from authors I know or recognize, but if it hasn't caught me within 2-3 chapters or I open it and the first chapter is hard to follow because of writing errors, I tend to lose interest and just never revisit, even though my intentions are good to try to give it a chance. But like I said, I'm capable of having that issue even with non FF stories. I have so many books with bookmarks in them on my shelf that I haven't finished reading it's ridiculous.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »

Tonight's question:

Do you use a beta reader? Or show your work to anyone else before posting it? Or do you feel more comfortable doing it on your own?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27