Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 63593 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #360 on: July 12, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »

LOL Sometimes I have a hard time separating what I read in fanfic from what is real!  Like, Kevin calling Nick "Little Man."  I've read that so many times, especially in Mare's fanfics, and I know I've used it in my own too, but has he ever really called him that?  I honestly don't know if that's an old pet name for real or just a cute fanfic thing LOL.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person this happens to LOL. I think he actually did used to call him that... but maybe now I'm thinking he didn't? I don't know! And going back to Come Together, I've just accepted that story into my Backstreet canon life since I know so little about that 1993/1994 time period lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »

I know I used it once toward the end of Curtain Call; I thought of it as I was out on a walk, and it literally brought tears to my eyes, so I was like, "Oh, I have to put that in, even if it's cheesy!"  But as far as I know, Mare is the queen of the Little Man thing, and I only came up with that from reading her stuff LOL.  When she comes back, she can tell us if she got that from anything or just made it up.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »

Am I the only one who's gonna go crazy trying to remember if the "Little Man" thing was real or a fanfic thing now? LOL
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »

I'm so glad I'm not the only person this happens to LOL. I think he actually did used to call him that... but maybe now I'm thinking he didn't? I don't know! And going back to Come Together, I've just accepted that story into my Backstreet canon life since I know so little about that 1993/1994 time period lol

There is a lot of truth in Come Together.  A lot of it came from this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Backstreet-Boys-Official-Biography/dp/0752224069  which I hadn't read when I first read Come Together, but bought later on and was like, "Ohhh, so that's where all that info came from!"  It has a lot of great stuff about each other their childhoods and how the group came together.  Just goes to show the power of research!  It was believable even when I didn't know what was fact and what was fiction, but finding out that a lot of it was based in fact made me appreciate it even more.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »

I'm sure there are other things besides the Little Man thing too... I'm trying to think of some others...
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #365 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:31 PM »

You know if I was going to write about the early days, I'd use that and the book AJ's mom wrote back in the day since it covers a lot of their formation info. Yeah, I've thought about doing an early days fic recently LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »

There is a lot of truth in Come Together.  A lot of it came from this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Backstreet-Boys-Official-Biography/dp/0752224069  which I hadn't read when I first read Come Together, but bought later on and was like, "Ohhh, so that's where all that info came from!"  It has a lot of great stuff about each other their childhoods and how the group came together.  Just goes to show the power of research!  It was believable even when I didn't know what was fact and what was fiction, but finding out that a lot of it was based in fact made me appreciate it even more.

I actually own that book but I don't think I've ever read it lol. I got it as a gift a really long time ago and my teeny self was just like "A book? No hot pictures of Nick? No thank you I'll stick with Tiger Beat." But maybe I should dig it out of my BSB box and give it a read! That's cool how well researched that story was!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »

I don't even own that book but now I kind of want it, knowing that's how Come Together was researched LOL.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »

I actually own that book but I don't think I've ever read it lol. I got it as a gift a really long time ago and my teeny self was just like "A book? No hot pictures of Nick? No thank you I'll stick with Tiger Beat." But maybe I should dig it out of my BSB box and give it a read! That's cool how well researched that story was!

It's funny you say that because I discovered just the other day that I had never read the Kevin chapter before LOL.  There's like a chapter about each of their childhoods, along with chapters about Lou and the formation of the group and the early days, and I've read most of the book, but apparently I skipped the Kevin chapter, because I was looking through it the other day when I was trying to decide what role to give him in my AU and was like, "I seriously don't think I've ever read this before..."  I learned so much more about the camp that his dad ran when he was a kid and all of that.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #369 on: July 12, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »

I might have to get that book, quite curious to read it.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #370 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »

I'm gonna be honest, for a lot of my stories I never bothered to do research, prime example is Figured You Out. I used what I knew and went with it, it turned out pretty well. For one of my 1000 Ways snippets I did a little research to find the death by latex allergy idea. (it is hard coming up with a unique death)

This college story is probably the first time I'm doing research extensively, because for one - I didn't go to college, nor did I live in a dorm...and two - I don't know a thing about fraternities. I've been doing a lot of searching on wikipedia and googling...ask ing around and taking notes. I hope it pays off, because I wanted to be accurate. Usually I don't put much thought into the story and just write about locations I know. Like I did with Weird World, I kind of made things up about California but not about New Jersey. With the college story I am going way out of my comfort zone in a few levels as you will see when I post it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »

lol as much as I would love to take credit for the little man thing, it's all Kevin. He called Nick little man on some interview I saw a long time ago & I took it & rolled with it.

I never researched anything for Why I'd Do it all Again but like I said, I never really focused on specifics like venues, cities or what they were singing in concert on any given day. All I cared about was their interactions. Without the research I would still like to think it came off believeable. I'm far too lazy to look up all that stuff. That's why I'm not in grad school as of yet lol I do look up things when I need to though, I just don't often feel that need lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #372 on: July 12, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »

I'm gonna be honest, for a lot of my stories I never bothered to do research, prime example is Figured You Out. I used what I knew and went with it, it turned out pretty well. For one of my 1000 Ways snippets I did a little research to find the death by latex allergy idea. (it is hard coming up with a unique death)

This college story is probably the first time I'm doing research extensively, because for one - I didn't go to college, nor did I live in a dorm...and two - I don't know a thing about fraternities. I've been doing a lot of searching on wikipedia and googling...ask ing around and taking notes. I hope it pays off, because I wanted to be accurate. Usually I don't put much thought into the story and just write about locations I know. Like I did with Weird World, I kind of made things up about California but not about New Jersey. With the college story I am going way out of my comfort zone in a few levels as you will see when I post it.

That's how the research thing really started for me, being forced to do it in order to write something I had no clue how to write otherwise.  For me it was Broken that taught me how to research.  I really only researched the medical stuff in that story and made up the rest, but in the sequel, I started looking up more, and by the end of BMS, I was pretty hardcore about researching.  Like I said, it's become like a compulsion for me LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #373 on: July 12, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »

lol as much as I would love to take credit for the little man thing, it's all Kevin. He called Nick little man on some interview I saw a long time ago & I took it & rolled with it.

Well that's good to know it came from real life!  I really always thought it was a fanfic thing LOL.
~Julie

myconfession

« Reply #374 on: July 12, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »

Let me be very clear.... I never said that adding real-life events to stories is wrong or wasn't right or anything of the sort. I just made a point to say that some authors use WAY too many real life events as if they are trying to write an autobiography. It's called fan fiction for a reason, why not add some fiction to it? The boys haven't hired anybody to write their story professionally .

For instance, I'm reading Hannah's "Borrowed Time." it's about real events but she adds enough FICTION into it that makes it enjoyable. In fact, I love it and can't wait til I get time to read more.

As for locations, unless I've been there personally, whether it's my comfort zone or not, I don't want to write about it. Granted, I write about Los Angeles a lot, but that's because you see it all the time on television, etc. Does that make me a bad writer? No it does not.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27