Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: College help  (Read 16620 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
College help
« on: June 29, 2012, 04:36:32 AM »

I am planning a new AU story about college life....I can't really say much more other than most of the story will be about pledging a fraternity and living on campus in a regular dorm. If anyone has information on fraternities or dorm living at college I can use any info possible as I have never attended college. Also need information about marine biology.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: College help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »

I tweeted you a bunch, but let me know if you have other questions; it'll be easier to post in here than on Twitter!  I never did the Greek thing, and most of my friends didn't either, so I won't be much help with the frat stuff, but I can give you some creepy roommate stories and other dorm info if you need it.

Not sure about marine biology either, but if you want more general info about classes/science lectures and labs, I've been there, done that.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 04:56:05 AM »

I'm not sure how much of classes I will include. I think I will but it won't be a major aspect of it. Classrooms are large aren't they? Like an auditorium almost?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 05:02:47 AM »

It depends.  Most of my classes weren't big lecture hall type classes; they were smaller classes (maybe 20 people) in regular-size rooms.  The science ones tended to be lecture, in the big auditorium rooms you're picturing, with 100 or so people.  But with the science classes, we'd also have a lab class once a week, and the labs were smaller sections, like under 20 people, and took place in a small science lab.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 05:06:29 AM »

I see. I'm gonna look up some things on wikipedia and some other websites as well for a visual idea.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »

I went to a college that didn't do the frat and sorority thing. In fact the ratio was 1 girl for every 10 boys lol

I was an RA for most of my college life though.

I had my own room and was in charge of my floor. If anything happened emergency wise, I was the one the kids came to. I had to patrol The hallways once every few hours when I was on duty and had to stay in my room. In my time doing this I had to take people to the hospital, sit with them as they had meltdowns, call 911, help with diabetic issues, sat in the middle of many roommate arguments and played devils advocate. Planned activities for my floor and even took field trips lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 05:14:47 AM »

^ and I have tons of crazy roommate stories as well. Just not my roomies lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:05 AM »

Ok so you were like a dorm supervisor basically? One of my characters is getting that role.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 05:21:28 AM »

Yes, although its called resident assistants in most places. There are also resident advisors which are not students but adults. We report to them. They live on campus as well

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 05:32:29 AM »

I see. I'm gonna look up some things on wikipedia and some other websites as well for a visual idea.

Do you know if you're going to set this story at a real college or make one up?  If you're going with a real college, Wikipedia does have some good info on some of them, but also check the college's website.  You can find a lot of info on majors and what campus looks like there.  If you're making one up, you might still want to base it on a real college or a combination of real colleges you know of.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »

I never did the whole living away at college thing as the college I went to is where I live.  But it sounds like fun and also a little crazy too!  Good luck with your research Tracy :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »

Julie seems to have you covered. But like she said if you do a scene in a science class, remember there's a lab. The lab is basically another class LOL. You have the big lecture type class and then the lab which is smaller and hands on. For me, my basic general courses, (100-200 level classes) were the more lecture hall style courses, while my more specialized classes (300-400) for my Major are like 20-30 people.

I've never done any sorority stuff though, not my thing at all LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »

I lived in a dorm for 3 out of my 4 years in college and I rushed a sorority (did not get in thankfully).  The sorority I rushed though was brand new to the college I was at so it was a tad bit different than other rushes I'm sure.  I can give you some info about that but 10 years and not getting in probably have me pushing it out of my mind ;)

I DO know someone who rushed a sorority, got in and was involved in helping with the consectutive rushes for her remaining years in college but good luck getting her to come out of hiding as she is one of the ones who has disappeared. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »

All that sorority stuff goes over my head, I've no idea what it is, only that it's a club or something?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »

Too bad Dee isn't still around, she is the ideal source of info for the Greek thing! haha

We don't really do sororities/fraternities here either, Steph. Mostly just the ones that have travelled up from the states and caught on at some of the bigger campuses. I guess it's sort of like a society/club, but generally they all live together and pledge to always be part of one specific group for life. They date back to secret societies in ancient Greece and such.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.
Pages: [1] 2 3