Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: College help  (Read 16621 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: College help
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »

^ Dee is who I was talking about :)   

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »

My sister was in a sorority & so was my cat.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »

^ Dee is who I was talking about :)   

Haha I figured. She and I still chat and she has been on the board within the last couple of months. I'm sure if Tracy sent her a PM she would reply!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »

Thanks for the information so far everyone :) I really appreciate it. There is a college just a town over from me, but it is a 2 year school so people don't live on campus. I might see if there's any books at the library I can get information on fraternities from as well.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »

I never did the dorm life, but yeah I was going to say that Dee would know all about it! Tracy, if you're not able to get ahold of her via PM I've also got a really good friend at work who used to be in a sorority and is still heavily involved in the one at the University here. If you've got any specific questions, I could ask her for you!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »

I have decided to use the University Of Florida. I don't know if I want to be completely accurate but I want to make it realistic, so that's why I'm researching first. Thanks for the help everyone!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »

Okay so I talked to my friend at work about the pledging. The first thing I learned is that there are secretive and non-secretive sororities (and I guess fraternities as well) and hers was secretive, so she couldn't tell me much. She basically said that during the pledge period is where you basically learn about the history and about the group and you make your pledge. Then after the pledge you go through an initiation period. I asked her if in the initiation period you get pranked and stuff and she said she couldn't tell me lol.

However there is hope. Apparently there's another guy who works with us that was in a fraternity, and his was non-secretive, so he can probably tell me more! And it'll be more relevant because it's a frat, AND he went to college in the states. I feel like I'll be able to get a lot of information out of him for you, so stay tuned. Haha.

Oh, she also said there was a book written about the pledging process, and apparently it's called "Pledging." so it might be worth looking into at the library or something. Not sure. I don't know if any of this helps you, but now I'm interested in learning about it too so I'm probably going to keep picking the brains of people at my work anyway!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

myconfession

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »

I might can help answer questions about frats. I worked in Greek Life in college.

Here's a note: 90% of sorority girls are bitches. LOL

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 05:22:11 PM »

Thanks guys :) I just want to make the story believable and accurate. I really appreciate the help. You all rock!!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »

Okay, so I was able to talk to my fraternity friend at the end of the day. He said that the pledge period is basically when you learn about the people in the frat, learn about the history of the household and all that stuff. Typically you would be paired up with one of the members of the frat to learn all this stuff, but they might have an information session type thing too.

So then after the pledge all of the actives (the people currently in the frat) get together and decide which of the pledges they're going to let in based on how they mesh with the rest of the group, if they're a good fit and stuff like that. They way they did it was with a marble system. They'd talk about each pledge, then each active would drop in a marble, black for yes, white for no. That way no one would know who voted for or against. If the split was pretty even they'd have a further discussion about it.

So once that was over they'd do initiation. This is the part where all the classic pranking and stuff takes place. I think you'll probably want to make up your own silly pranks for this part, but my friend told me that they would send their guys out on a scavenger hunt. They'd provide them with money, and the people being initiated would have to come back with the items. Usually they'd send them for items that were needed around the frat house, but one time they sent them off for a plunger, and one of the other items they needed was a store receipt that had on it a plunger, a box of condoms and a jar of Vaseline LMAO.

When the initiation was over, they'd do the formal welcoming into the fraternity and then have a formal dinner.

In their frat house they'd have chapter meetings once a week and a formal dinner taking place before those chapter meetings. He told me that they actually have a "frat mother" who didn't live in the house, but was the mom of one of the actives. She would attend their weekly dinners and if any of the guys was out of line during, she'd rip them a new one. Apparently she was awesome and everyone loved her.

Yeah! He told me if I needed to know anything specific to let him know and he'd tell me. So if you've got any questions I'll ask!
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 05:36:20 AM »

Okay so here is a random question, is there a certain time of year that fraternities/sororities do the pledging/rushing or can it be at anytime during the semester? I know this is an odd question lol sorry.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 05:41:44 AM »

I don't know for sure but I think logically it would happen at the beginning of each semester.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 05:53:40 AM »

I always see rushing at the beginning of the year, in the fall. They probably do it each semester, but the time it's most evident is the beginning of fall.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 06:10:26 AM »

Thank you. The beginning of the semester makes sense for me as well, so I will stick with that.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:53 AM »

Yep, I think fall too.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 [2] 3