Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 120780 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Question of the Day - Part 4
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:51 PM »

What's your editing process? Do you write everything in your head then go back and edit or edit as you write?

I rarely edit after the fact, so I suppose I edit in my head as I'm writing. Maybe that's why it takes me so long to write a chapter. :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »

I edit everything after the fact. I find if I edit it as I write, I lose my inspiration and my flow. It slows me down.

Cute avy btw :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »

I write a few paragraphs & then stop, reread & edit. I will read the entire thing three times before posting it. I usually leave it alone then go back and read it one final time before posting. Even then, I'll still catch stupid typos!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »

I edit as I write. I love having the spellcheck on my phone because that helps me a lot. I also go over it a few times before posting to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »

I edit as I write, and then I'll read it through before posting.  Or if I'm in one of those writing moods where the words are just flowing, I'll read it after I've finished the chapter.  Before posting I click on preview just to make sure it looks OK and the layout hasn't messed up.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »

My editing process is just as messed up as my writing process LOL.

Because I tend to write out of order (I have story folders that'll have a few of the first chapter of a story, get bored, jump to the climactic chapter, write that and lose my inspiration to write the rest of the build up) Those chapters I write in order tend to get edited as I go. The ones out of order? I don't edit them as I go, I write the first draft of them fast to get the scene out of my head and onto the screen so I don't forget about it. If it's a story I actually wind up posting, I tend to edit those chapters a little bit every day until it's time to post. I'll play with wording, add stuff, remove stuff.. whatever. Those chapters get so changed around they're nothing like they were the first time I wrote them, and you can probably tell which ones those are because I believe they come out a lot better than the ones I just write and post and edit as I go.

I can't believe I ever manage to finish anything.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:31:38 PM »

I write a few paragraphs & then stop, reread & edit. I will read the entire thing three times before posting it. I usually leave it alone then go back and read it one final time before posting. Even then, I'll still catch stupid typos!!

I know, no matter how many times I edit...there's always that one thing I don't notice till I post. Then I see it as I reread over it LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »

I edit as I write.  Then when I finish a chapter, I wait at least a day or overnight to reread it, which is when I proofread for typos or make minor changes in word choice.  I usually don't make big revisions after the first draft is done because, like Julilly and Mare, I spend so much time editing as I go that I'm usually pretty happy with the end result.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 12:58:27 PM »

to answer the idea question in the other thread. 

I get my ideas from a lot of places, movies, books, cartoons, people I see on the street, discussions in forums and I jot down the ideas in word, maybe a first chapter, save them, file them and when I'm looking for a story I open the folder and reread. 

As for editing, I tend to edit as I write and skim over it when I'm done. If it's a story that I am holding chapters back (rarely do) then I may reread it a couple of times otherwise I post it after I finish. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »

My editing process is just as messed up as my writing process LOL.

Because I tend to write out of order (I have story folders that'll have a few of the first chapter of a story, get bored, jump to the climactic chapter, write that and lose my inspiration to write the rest of the build up) Those chapters I write in order tend to get edited as I go. The ones out of order? I don't edit them as I go, I write the first draft of them fast to get the scene out of my head and onto the screen so I don't forget about it. If it's a story I actually wind up posting, I tend to edit those chapters a little bit every day until it's time to post. I'll play with wording, add stuff, remove stuff.. whatever. Those chapters get so changed around they're nothing like they were the first time I wrote them, and you can probably tell which ones those are because I believe they come out a lot better than the ones I just write and post and edit as I go.

I can't believe I ever manage to finish anything.

That's how I do mine  ;)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »

Do any of you have a story that you are reminded of by something from it? Like quirks the characters have or specific scenes? For example I always think of Whatever The Night when I see spam lol and I think of Julie when I see blueberry muffins ;)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 05:45:19 PM »

LOL Yay! :)

I just tweeted that every time AJ posts an Instagram pic of himself, I laugh and think of Mare's new story.  Every time I see something on the news about Alzheimer's, I think of Rose and RMTW.  The song "Running Up That Hill" makes me think of Steph and her story of the same name.  Llamas make me think of Hannah.  Taco Bell makes me think of you, Tracy LOL.  The book "Draw Me a Star" by Eric Carle makes me think of the story "Cover Me With Dreams."

Songs are a big thing for me.  There are SO many songs that I associate with a certain fanfic because of how the song was used in the story, like DWLYN in Where Can We Go From Here  and Edwin McCain's "I'll Be" in CMWD.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »

Well, zombies remind me of you and Rose. Whenever I see something about someone missing limbs I think of you Julie lol. Peaches remind me of Lore lmao. Llamas and twinkies for Hannah....Sail or Moon and One Direction remind me of Saka-steph. For Mare, Spam...and AJ's random pics.

I have songs that remind me of stories too because either I was inspired by it or I used the song title (for example You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi)

I've had a lot of good memories from stories I've read and it makes me smile whenever I think of it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »

Well, zombies remind me of you and Rose. Whenever I see something about someone missing limbs I think of you Julie lol.

I'm honored! LOL
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »

:D yay! About the twinkies....wh enever I read Borrowed Time and Nick is talking about food it makes me hungry!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49