Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 86758 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #375 on: August 05, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »

^ there are so many stories I feel that way about lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #376 on: August 05, 2012, 04:27:52 PM »

Ok, I have another question, and it's a fitting one coming from me. Is there any other fandom besides BSB that you've wanted to write in, but haven't yet?

I've never wanted to write in another fandom, except for Harry Potter.  I gave that a shot ten years ago, when I started a Marauders story that only got to Chapter 3, and now I'm writing a BSB/HP crossover.  But I could never get into reading HP fanfic and don't see myself writing it regularly.

The only other fandom I could see myself ever writing fanfic for is ER.  I've never read any, though I know they're out there.  I love the characters and content of the show, and there would be a lot of storylines to explore, but again, I don't really see myself actually writing that.  I do have an idea for an ER/BSB crossover, though!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »

I actually find that doing real person fic is a lot harder.

I don't have enough experience writing the other type of fanfic to know, but I can see how this would be true.  A real person has so many more layers and dimensions than even the best of fictional characters, and while that may give you more freedom to take them in different directions, it's also more of a challenge to capture their personality and put it on paper.  Like you said, with a fictional character, it's pretty much already laid out for you, and you can take it and run with it.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #378 on: August 05, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »

2.  Name a time when you took a chance on a story that you thought wouldn't appeal to you and ended up loving it.

If We Were a Movie by Honey. It's definitely not my normal type of story LOL. But I knew Kelly was a great writer and I couldn't find anything to read, so I tried it. It's one of my favorite stories now. (See, I don't completely hate romance, I'm just incredibly picky! :P)

That was a cute story!  Kelly's a great example of an author who loves fluffy romance, but knows how to give it a hook that will make it unique.  Her characters always have some quirk that makes their love story interesting, whether it's that they're obsessed with movies, have super powers, or have the ill-fitting name of Cinderella because of their white trash parents.  When I read romance, I need a little something else to get me interested.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #379 on: August 05, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »

I love Kelly's stories, I've even got her two OF books on my Kindle app :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #380 on: August 05, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »

Being Jamie Baker is great!  I bought Serial Hottie for my Kindle, but haven't read it yet.  I'm sure it's fantastic too, though!  She just has a very engaging writing style.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »

I really liked Being Jamie Baker as well :) It was my airplane book this past year, haha. And I lent it to my Grandma to read instead of 50 shades. I'll have to buy Serial Hottie for my Kindle.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #382 on: August 05, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »

I really liked Being Jamie Baker as well :) It was my airplane book this past year, haha. And I lent it to my Grandma to read instead of 50 shades. I'll have to buy Serial Hottie for my Kindle.

LOL Much more appropriate for Grandma!

I got my mom to read BJB too, and she loved it!  She's a middle school librarian, and she even bought a copy of it for the library.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #383 on: August 05, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

I liked Being Jamie Baker as well.

Okay going back to my answer of Julie's turn offs question, I mentioned how I read more than I say I do which made me think of this follow up question.

Would you rather know that someone tried your story and didn't like it or would you prefer to just think that people aren't reading it. Also, if someone isn't reading your story, like a friend, do you take it personally? Are you able to separate yourself from your writing without it affecting your relationships with your writer friends? Did that make sense? lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #384 on: August 05, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »

Hmmm... I might want to know if there was a reason they started reading it and stopped. But if it just wasn't their thing, I'd understand. But if it was a major issue with a character being flawed I think I might want to know, so I could correct it. Or if it was a big issue with grammar, but I don't think I have that issue. Some people in 1D fandom stopped reading one of my stories because I was screwing with The Chosen One, but whatever. I can deal with teenies getting upset at my complex emotional situations lol

Yeah, I'm not offended when my writer friends don't read some of my stuff. I don't read everyone's stories and I would never expect anyone to read everything I wrote just because I wrote it. I want people to read my stories because they like my stories, not because they like me.

Although I would also like it if you liked me. lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #385 on: August 05, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »

I like you Steph, if that helps! lol

That's how I feel as well. I really wouldn't expect a friend or anyone else for that matter to try to read something I know they wouldn't enjoy. If I know you don't enjoy suspense, I wouldn't expect you to read about Nick getting MINE carved into his skin. And if you did try it, I wouldn't really expect a Yay!! That was awesome! lol

As far as why I stop reading, mostly it has to do with just a lack of interest on my part. I'll usually go about three chapters & if I don't get sucked in, it becomes a pass for me. It's rarely a grammar or editing issue with stuff I click in because for those I usually can tell just based on the summary not to go any further lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #386 on: August 05, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »

lol thanks Mare

Yeah I agree, if I make it a few chapters in and I'm not feeling genuinely interested in what's going to happen next or if I don't feel any sort of connection with the characters at all, then I'll probably stop reading.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #387 on: August 05, 2012, 06:27:20 PM »

I don't want or expect anyone to read my work just because they want to please me. I want them to read because they genuinely enjoy it, and aren't just being nice.

A lot of you don't read all of my work, but I understand why. What I write won't appeal to everyone. You don't have to read.

Same goes for me. There's people I talk to at AC and I haven't really read any of their work, either because I haven't gotten to it yet, or because it didn't interest me. Doesn't mean they're a bad writer :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #388 on: August 05, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »

Would you rather know that someone tried your story and didn't like it or would you prefer to just think that people aren't reading it. Also, if someone isn't reading your story, like a friend, do you take it personally? Are you able to separate yourself from your writing without it affecting your relationships with your writer friends?

Hm, that's a tough one.  I would be curious to know whether someone had actually tried reading my story before writing it off as something they wouldn't like.  If they did try to read it and didn't like it, I wouldn't take it personally because, unless they told me otherwise, I would assume it had more to do with their preferences than the quality of my writing.  I'm confident in my writing ability, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that my writing can convert someone to liking something they never liked before.

It's always fun to get reviews from friends, but I don't expect my friends to read all of my stories.  I write enough of a variety of stories that I know they're not all going to appeal to every reader who's ever read one of my stories.  I think I'm able to separate my friendships from the reader/writer relationships I have with people.  And it goes both ways - I don't read every story my friends write, and I hope they know better than to take it personally.  Everyone who's been posting in this thread is a good writer, so it has nothing to do with writing ability.  It doesn't matter how well-written a story is; if it doesn't interest me, it doesn't interest me.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #389 on: August 05, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »

I agree. I think everyone who posts in here are really great writers in general. I have no doubt in my mind, but same here no matter how I feel about you or your writing ability, I'm never going to want to read a story about AJ and Howie having a child with the help of the Spice Girls lol
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33