Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 86689 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #390 on: August 05, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »

I'm never going to want to read a story about AJ and Howie having a child with the help of the Spice Girls lol

LMAO!!!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #391 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »

That was a cute story!  Kelly's a great example of an author who loves fluffy romance, but knows how to give it a hook that will make it unique.  Her characters always have some quirk that makes their love story interesting, whether it's that they're obsessed with movies, have super powers, or have the ill-fitting name of Cinderella because of their white trash parents.  When I read romance, I need a little something else to get me interested.

She does! I love that about her writing. I need to actually check out her new book. I wasn't even remotely surprised when she made the transition into a published author. She's always had that talent. Her characters are the perfect example of great character driven romance stories.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #392 on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »

I liked Being Jamie Baker as well.

Okay going back to my answer of Julie's turn offs question, I mentioned how I read more than I say I do which made me think of this follow up question.

Would you rather know that someone tried your story and didn't like it or would you prefer to just think that people aren't reading it. Also, if someone isn't reading your story, like a friend, do you take it personally? Are you able to separate yourself from your writing without it affecting your relationships with your writer friends? Did that make sense? lol

I'm not sure to be honest LOL. I mean I don't take it personally when friends don't read my stories. In fact sometimes I'm surprised when they do. (Like you and Divine Intervention lmao, I was shocked you clicked on that!) I haven't read all of Julie's stories, she doesn't read all of mine, and we're still great friends. It never affected that one bit.

But at the same time, if a person stopped reading because it wasn't their thing, there's nothing I can do to change that. Now if it's something I CAN change (like grammatical errors or something) I want to know. Which was why I was so glad when Julie pointed out some issues a few years ago. Because then I'll make a conscious effort to fix it.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #393 on: August 05, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »

Here's another question...

Are you the kind of author who writes many different types of stories, or are you the kind of author who has found their niche and usually stays inside it?

I know for me, I pretty much have a story in almost every genre. Lately I've been sitting in more drama/angst but I noticed I go through phases lol. I think the only one I don't actually have a story for is slash. Not because I wouldn't write it (given the right idea I could see myself doing it actually), just I'd never write it for fanfic because in my head I see the Boys as completely straight so I'd never be able to write them otherwise. If I ever wrote a slash romance, it'd be in Original Fiction.

So I'm kind of both. In that I will find a temporary niche and write in it for awhile, but that does change up and I end up writing in all different genres.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #394 on: August 05, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »

I think I have a niche in my medical dramas with a hint of romance, but I like to step outside that niche and write other things too - horror, suspense, action/adventure, comedy, etc.  I like being known for certain types of stories, but at the same time, I don't want to be a Nicholas Sparks type of writer who only writes one kind of story, to the point where they all seem alike.  I try to write a variety.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #395 on: August 05, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »

^^^ Yeah, neither do I. I mean Nicholas Sparks is a decent writer but a lot of his stories seem the same and I'm kinda meh about him.

Side note - I always feel weird spelling Nicholas the "right"/nonBSB way LMAO.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #396 on: August 05, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »

I think most of my stories tend to fall under the drama/angst category. I have outlined a sci-fi story and have some of it written, but I'm waiting to post until I finish Running Up That Hill. But even that will have a lot of angst in it. I don't really do a lot of fluffy romance either... I usually put my characters through emotional hell whether it's a romance story or not lol. I doubt I would ever write a BSB slash story... but if I did it would be very angsty!

I don't know, really. I guess I just tend to do a lot of drama and angst, but the situations surrounding that drama and angst are widely different... if that makes sense?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #397 on: August 05, 2012, 08:26:23 PM »

For the record - I'll probably be one of the first to flock to your sci-fi story LOL. :P

Drama/Angst are fun because of the way it causes the characters to really grow and change throughout the novel. To see them rise up against everything and try to face it down. That's how I see it anyway.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #398 on: August 05, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »

^^^ Yeah, neither do I. I mean Nicholas Sparks is a decent writer but a lot of his stories seem the same and I'm kinda meh about him.

Side note - I always feel weird spelling Nicholas the "right"/nonBSB way LMAO.

LOL I know what you mean.

I have several Nicholas Sparks books, and the first few I read, I enjoyed.  But since all subsequent books I've read by him have been basically the same, I don't really see the point in reading any more of his books.

Most published writers have their niche, but most do a better job of changing it up from book to book.  Stephen King writes mostly horror set in Maine, but his storylines are all quite different from each other.  Jodi Picoult writes books with lawyer characters and legal issues that make you think, but the situations in each are all very different.  I guess it's not as easy to change it up when you're basically telling the "boy meets girl and they fall in love in North Carolina" story every time.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #399 on: August 05, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »

LOL I know what you mean.

I have several Nicholas Sparks books, and the first few I read, I enjoyed.  But since all subsequent books I've read by him have been basically the same, I don't really see the point in reading any more of his books.

Most published writers have their niche, but most do a better job of changing it up from book to book.  Stephen King writes mostly horror set in Maine, but his storylines are all quite different from each other.  Jodi Picoult writes books with lawyer characters and legal issues that make you think, but the situations in each are all very different.  I guess it's not as easy to change it up when you're basically telling the "boy meets girl and they fall in love in North Carolina" story every time.

I love Stephen King lol. I wish I could be as creative as he is.

Which... is there any real life author that inspires you?

That's another good question... For me it's Stephen King and Anne Rice, they inspire me heavily. Stephen King has the best storylines, each one is different and his characters are outstanding. Anne Rice, she has amazing characters with depth and quirks and I love them. Plus, ya know, Vampires that don't sparkle LOL.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #400 on: August 05, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »

I think most of my stories tend to fall under the drama/angst category. I have outlined a sci-fi story and have some of it written, but I'm waiting to post until I finish Running Up That Hill. But even that will have a lot of angst in it. I don't really do a lot of fluffy romance either... I usually put my characters through emotional hell whether it's a romance story or not lol. I doubt I would ever write a BSB slash story... but if I did it would be very angsty!

I don't know, really. I guess I just tend to do a lot of drama and angst, but the situations surrounding that drama and angst are widely different... if that makes sense?

That makes sense.  I am kind of the same way where, no matter what genre it is, there is always some kind of drama/angst.  Except in comedies, maybe, but even 00Carter has its share of drama.  I love writing the emotional stuff.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #401 on: August 05, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »

I think it is safe to say I've written in almost every genre but slash, historical and fantasy. I am down to try just about everything as you guys have seen from me attempting 95% of the challenges. I'm down to try reading almost everything as well. I love challenging myself with each new story I start, I try to make each one different.

Look at my story list at AC, it is very diverse I think in terms of what I've written in the past 3 years.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #402 on: August 05, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »

Hrmm first of all, I love the word niche; it ranks up there with shenanigans for me. Random Mare fact lol

I guess my niche is writing about the brotherly bond the guys have although I do branch out and explore that bond in a variety of different genres. I think I've pretty much written every genre with the exception of romance, although I guess one or two of my short stories might be considered romantic minus the presence of an actual girl. For instance the birthday box was about Nick proposing to Lauren but I didn't find it necessary to include her lol

I do think it's important to branch out while still staying true to who you are. Like the people who compete on Project Runway or Top Chef. No matter what the challenges, as long as your style comes through, it'll be successful & yes, I'm catching up on Project Runway at the moment , hence the analogy.

For instance a romance written by me would be different than a romance written by a person who considers that their thing. Just like a cliff hanger for me would be different than a cliffhanger for them, but if challenged to write something suspensful and romantic, both writers if good at what they do, could pull it off. Yes?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #403 on: August 05, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »

I love Stephen King lol. I wish I could be as creative as he is.

Which... is there any real life author that inspires you?

I would say Stephen King is one of mine too.  Not necessarily with his storylines, because except for Undead and various short stories, I haven't written that much horror.  But I like his writing style.  He writes in third person and is very descriptive.  His stories always have a certain atmosphere that he's established.  When I started writing Secrets of the Heart, I had just finished rereading 'Salem's Lot, and I can see the influence of SK's writing in the beginning of that story.  As I've come back to it this summer, I've been reading more SK books to help myself stay in that style.

JK Rowling is also an inspiration to me, on a personal level as well as in the writing sense.  I am not a fantasy writer, but I admire her ability to bring her characters and their world to life with her fantastic description and emotional depth and sense of humor.  I wish I could write like her!

Lurlene McDaniel was the first author to really inspire me.  She was my favorite from 4th grade, when I first read one of her books, really up until JKR unseated her when I was in high school.  I've read more books by her than by any other author, and you can see her influence in my early fanfics especially, but also in more recent stories, like Broken, Curtain Call, Secrets, and even Guilty Roads.  Her books are formulaic and fairly cheesy, but I would not be the writer I am today had I not read them over and over again as I was growing up.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »

I love Wally Lamb and admire his writing ability. I have so wanted to have the courage to send him my manuscript for Shadow Woods and my dream would be for him to write me back with CC! I also look up unto Jodi Picoult & of course Stephen King! They are all so good at what they do.

I have never read a Nicholas Sparks book & don't ever really plan to. And as much as she makes me laugh, I put Janet Evanovich into that one note category. Once you've read one if those Stephanie Plum stories you've basically read them all lol
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:47:14 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33