Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 85339 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #420 on: August 06, 2012, 12:04:24 AM »

There's a version of Little Mermaid where Ariel's suicidal? LOL

The original... like the Grimms' fairy tales, it's pretty effed up! LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #421 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »

I'm gonna go with Snow White.  It has a lot of my favorite elements.  There's angst - Snow White has a tragic back story, having lost both her parents, and is at odds with her stepmother, who is deeply jealous of her.  There's suspense - the queen wants Snow White dead and sends the huntsman to kill her.  There's the hint of violence and gore with the fact that she wants him to cut out Snow White's heart.  There's comic relief when she goes to live with the dwarves.  There's drama when the queen finds her and gives her the poison apple, putting her to sleep.  And there's romance when the prince comes and wakes her with the kiss of true love.  It has a little bit of everything that I love!

You know, I was gonna say I bet you'd pick Snow White LOL.

The original... like the Grimms' fairy tales, it's pretty effed up! LOL

You know I did not know that, I knew all about the Grimms' stories but not about Little Mermaid LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #422 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »

You know, I was gonna say I bet you'd pick Snow White LOL.

You know I did not know that, I knew all about the Grimms' stories but not about Little Mermaid LOL.

Were you?  Awesome!  It was either that or Sleeping Beauty, but Snow White was my first thought.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #423 on: August 06, 2012, 12:06:58 AM »

Yeah in the original story the prince marries someone else, and she was so heartbroken she committed suicide in the end. True story.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #424 on: August 06, 2012, 12:07:32 AM »

It would actually be the little blonde pig

That is a hard question! My mind instantly sort of went to Beauty and the Beast, just because of the super angsty beast who's upset, and there are characters all around him trying to help and fix the situation, but the only one who truly ends up really solving the issue is Belle. And also there's that lighthearted element with the awesome Gaston song (yeah I'm going with the Disney version - because who doesn't love the Gaston song?) and then he ultimately loses. There's also that portion where the two characters from two different worlds end up learning from each other, and that is definitely one of my favourite plotlines in any type of media lol I looove the Romeo and Juliet factor.

I love the angst of Beauty and the Beast!!

Have you ever read the fanfic Faceless?  If not, you should read it.  Nick = Beast.  Lots of angst.  It's delightful.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #425 on: August 06, 2012, 12:08:06 AM »

I am going to go with Thumbelina....  lol 

Why Thumbelina?
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #426 on: August 06, 2012, 12:09:04 AM »

I love the angst of Beauty and the Beast!!

Have you ever read the fanfic Faceless?  If not, you should read it.  Nick = Beast.  Lots of angst.  It's delightful.

I have it on my Kindle and it's on my to-read list! :D Thanks for the rec!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #427 on: August 06, 2012, 12:09:49 AM »

That would be an awesome challenge idea. Take a fairy tale and make it your own BSB version of it.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #428 on: August 06, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »

Were you?  Awesome!  It was either that or Sleeping Beauty, but Snow White was my first thought.

I love Sleeping Beauty, the original I mean LOL. My favorite story of all time though fairy tale wise is still Peter Pan.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #429 on: August 06, 2012, 12:15:47 AM »

Why Thumbelina?

eh I'm not really, I just can't think of a good answer. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #430 on: August 06, 2012, 12:18:29 AM »

Hands down my favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin is second. I also love Peter Pan.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #431 on: August 06, 2012, 02:02:15 AM »

Would you rather know that someone tried your story and didn't like it or would you prefer to just think that people aren't reading it. Also, if someone isn't reading your story, like a friend, do you take it personally? Are you able to separate yourself from your writing without it affecting your relationships with your writer friends? Did that make sense? lol

I know that not all of my stories are going to appeal, and I completely understand if people don't want to read.  I wouldn't read something I wasn't enjoying, no matter who the writer is.  But I wouldn't tell them I wasn't enjoying it, I just wouldn't read or review.  I don't take it personally and hope friends wouldn't get offended if I didn't read everything of theirs.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #432 on: August 06, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »

Why's it so quiet on here this morning?!

Okay, follow up question to the niche one:  What's a genre you enjoy reading, but don't think you write well?

For me, it's suspense.  I've always enjoyed reading suspenseful stories, mysteries, and thrillers, both in fanfic and in real life, but when I try to write them, I usually end up disappointed by the result.  I'm capable of creating suspense by building the tension slowly and that kind of thing, but where I fall flat is usually with the mystery aspect of it or with the characters and their motives.  I just don't have a very creative mind when it comes to mysteries.  I enjoy reading/watching them, but am terrible at guessing whodunit - if I can guess correctly, then it wasn't a very good mystery, in my mind LOL.  But I like to be surprised at the solution, to have my mind blown when I get to the end, and if a mystery doesn't deliver that twist ending, I'm disappointed.  So in writing them, I try to have twists for my readers, but I'm not creative enough to make them shocking - they are usually predictable.  And character-wise, I have yet to write a believable, three-dimensional villain with a good motive.  Dr. Rough in 00Carter has been my favorite villain to write, but he is intentionally over the top - not necessarily believable.  Maybe one of these days I will, but for now, I just admire people who can churn out awesome suspense stories that can both surprise and unsettle me.
~Julie

myconfession

« Reply #433 on: August 06, 2012, 12:27:26 PM »

For the niche thing.....

I like being a niche writer and I'm not ashamed of it. There's just some things I'm not interested in, such as action/adventure or horror/suspense. I don't really watch that movies because they bore me. Romantic comedies/dramas are my thing. It's what I enjoy. If I tried to write something else, it would be forced and I don't think it would be as good as something that I enjoyed writing.

Don't get me wrong, I've tried it... I tried to do a serious straight drama/suspense about a year and a half ago and I couldn't get past chapter 2.

Writing a Disney/BSB thing....

Typically I would say "The Little Mermaid," but since the 45-year-old guy at work (God I have three days left) is OBSESSED with her, I can't look at Ariel the same. So I would say "Enchanted" or "The Princess Diaries." I'm not big on cartoons, even Disney movies. I think "Sleeping Beauty" would be interesting, too.

Knowing someone read it and didn't like my stories or not knowing at all...

I would rather know what they didn't like about it. That's the only way you're going to understand why people don't like you, rather than for stupid reasons that have nothing to do with the stories themselves. And if they had given you a shot back in say '01 and didn't like it, I would like for them to give me a shot now and see if they still don't like it, because people grow up, they learn, their writing changes (especially for me since I have a minor in creative writing now). A lot of people think I'm a bitch and won't give my stuff a chance because of me personally. But it's funny to see on my website people that I know don't like me, even hate me and talk shit about me, coming on to read my stories. That makes me feel good inside.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #434 on: August 06, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »

It's funny how some people worry about their friends only reading their stories because they like them as a person, and others worry about people avoiding their stories because they don't like them as a person.

As a writer, is this something you worry about?  And as a reader, do writers' personalities or your relationship with them affect which stories you choose to read?
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33