Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 86543 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #435 on: August 06, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »

I love reading medical dramas, but any time I've tried to write one I've failed. I get way too squeamish looking at websites to do research, and I'm just not good at translating medical jargon into dialogue or description that a reader could understand while still coming off as believable.

But God, I love reading them.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #436 on: August 06, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »

It's funny how some people worry about their friends only reading their stories because they like them as a person, and others worry about people avoiding their stories because they don't like them as a person.

As a writer, is this something you worry about?  And as a reader, do writers' personalities or your relationship with them affect which stories you choose to read?

Well I would hope that if someone didn't like me personally it wouldn't deter them from reading something of mine if they were legitimately interested in it. That being said, I can see where it would. Sometimes it's hard to separate the writer from the story.

But I tend to just click into things I find interesting. I will admit I'm more drawn to the work of authors I've enjoyed in the past - but to not read something just because I don't like the person, I don't know. I guess if there's a lot of blatant self-promo and that's what I don't like about the person, then yeah, I won't read their stuff. I guess if there was someone I really didn't like, for whatever reason, I might not want to read their stuff. There was this one Winnipeg group I used to love, and then the lead singer said something really awful, and after that I just wasn't into their music anymore. I couldn't get over that thing he'd said.

I suppose it's not a stretch to think it could happen to me with fanfic too.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

myconfession

« Reply #437 on: August 06, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »

It's funny how some people worry about their friends only reading their stories because they like them as a person, and others worry about people avoiding their stories because they don't like them as a person.

As a writer, is this something you worry about?  And as a reader, do writers' personalities or your relationship with them affect which stories you choose to read?

Typically I don't really care, it just annoys me when people diss my stories without ever giving them a chance because they might not like me as a person. LOL I don't really care if my friends read or not, a good bit of them do, but some, who I met because of writing, don't even read anymore and they're still my friends.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #438 on: August 06, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »

Would you rather know that someone tried your story and didn't like it or would you prefer to just think that people aren't reading it. Also, if someone isn't reading your story, like a friend, do you take it personally? Are you able to separate yourself from your writing without it affecting your relationships with your writer friends? Did that make sense?

I would like to know why so I could fix anything if it needed to be. That's the only reason.

A lot of my friends don't read fanfic, and my writer friends do read but not most of my work. I am gonna be honest, it does to an extent but I know not everyone will like what I read. When I first started I didn't think about this and it might have turned people off from ever reading my work. I make mistakes and I admit them but I'm learning still. I talk about my writing a lot so this might deter them as well.

However I don't let this affect my friendships I have made with other writers....at least I don't think I do.

One thing that bugs me a bit is when someone starts reading, leaves feedback and then vanishes. If you're gonna stop reading it is ok....sometime s I would just like to know why. Is it something I can do to improve the story? That's all :)
Did that make sense? Sorry, I just woke up lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #439 on: August 06, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »

A genre I like reading but don't think I write well?

Most of the genres I enjoy reading are ones that I also enjoy writing. I only really tend to follow suspense, action, drama and dramedies and I think I do okay in all of those, not to sound arrogant or anything, but yeah, I'm pretty perfect! (Joke LOL).

I guess like Steph said, maybe the medical dramas? Although I'm kind of picky when it comes to the medical stuff and don't really enjoy them when they are set in a medical setting like a hospital, but more so if Nick gets sick as part of a plot etc... But, I've never really had the urge to write something like that either. So, I'm not really sure if I have an answer to this question.

I guess if there's anything I know I need work on it's perfecting a female role and trying to keep them alive or relevant for more than a few chapters. lol

I really had intended to do that for Whatever the Night May Bring with Syndey. I fully intended on making her a love interest for AJ but then I didn't. I just made her go away because I wasn't interested and for me if I'm not, I can't see writing her realistically enough to have people care either. So, yes fully developing and seeing an original female character all the way through (who isn't a villain. I have done that with plenty of villains. LOL) would be something I wish I could do better! Even though I'm not the slightest bit interested in reading those! 

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #440 on: August 06, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »

I never really let how I feel about people become a factor in if I read their stuff or not. It's more about what they write then who they are. If I think you are the bees knees but only write Mpregs about NKOTB I'll love you but never read anything you write, but then again I'd never lead you to believe I would either.

If I think you are a big flaming bitch from hell but you write the best suspense in the world, I'll read it and love it and even review it (which I admit can be hard sometimes) because it's about the story not about the person. LOL

You're not always going to be able to please everyone. Sometimes people aren't going to like you just because the stars aren't aligned. Sometimes it's something you said once in passing without even meaning the people you upset, but other times it's because you're legitimately unlikable, whatever the case, it shouldn't really effect whether or not people read your stuff. I do think it's a matter of taste.

I know my total honesty when it comes to my likes and dislikes can be off putting to many people but again, it's who I am. I'd rather be blatantly honest about my opinions than pretentious and end up stabbing people in the back. That's not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine but don't avoid my stories because of that, avoid my stories because you don't like the style or because you've tried to read my stuff and you thought it sucked. LOL

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

myconfession

« Reply #441 on: August 06, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »

I know my total honesty when it comes to my likes and dislikes can be off putting to many people but again, it's who I am. I'd rather be blatantly honest about my opinions than pretentious and end up stabbing people in the back. That's not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine but don't avoid my stories because of that, avoid my stories because you don't like the style or because you've tried to read my stuff and you thought it sucked. LOL

THIS times a million.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #442 on: August 07, 2012, 01:45:15 AM »

For the fairytale question, I'd pick Beauty & The Beast as I love the Disney film and the story.  I like how Belle doesn't just fall for Gaston like all the other girls do, and instead of being terrified of the beast, she actually gets to know him and love him for who he is.  It's the ultimate fairytale for me :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #443 on: August 07, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »

A genre I like reading but don't think I'd write very well is medical drama.  I love Julie's stories like Broken, Curtain Call and Secrets of the Heart, but could never write anything like that because I wouldn't be able to put the detail or believability into it that she does.

I'm not sure I have a writing niche as I like to give anything a go (I think that was a question I missed).

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #444 on: August 07, 2012, 01:57:54 AM »

^ Thanks Steph!  And I think you're right about your niche or lack thereof - you're one of the most diverse writers on here!  You can write anything!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #445 on: August 07, 2012, 02:53:02 AM »

I don't think I have a niche either. I love to read all sorts of things too, so I'm not sure if I can answer that question lol

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #446 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »

I figured out my fairytale!!!  I would do the 12 Dancing Princesses.  There is a little bit of mystery and intrigue to it, I could add more suspense and possibly a bit more romance than what is in the original.   Yes 12 Dancing Princesses....     :)   
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #447 on: August 07, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »

What's a genre you enjoy reading, but don't think you write well?

Suspense, I love reading it but I don't think I can do the whole mystery/who-dun-it? thing well. I've got suspense ideas but none I was confident enough to actually go through with and try to post. Mare pulls it off beautifully and I wish I could but it's definitely not me. My villains are usually not a mystery LOL.

Not really. I realize I can be off putting as a person. If you ask me a question, I give you a straight answer. If you don't like the answer, well, don't ever ask me then LOL. Now actions like a lot of self-promo will make me not want to read a story, but that's the only instance. If your stories interest me, I'll read them even if you're one of the biggest ego-maniac douchebag bitches on the planet LOL. But as I'm really picky these days, it hasn't been a problem.

I would like to hope people would read my stories because they appeal to them, and not let my personality get in the way. If it does, well, I'm not going to stop being me because of that. So it is what it is. It does suck when someone calls your writing shitty or crappy, or bad, etc. because they don't like you. But, life goes on LOL. I don't worry about it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #448 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »

Here's a question...or a few...

Best Death Scene you've ever read in fanfic? Written?

Saddest scene...read? Written?

What made these stir up the emotions in you?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #449 on: August 07, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »

Here's a question...or a few...

Best Death Scene you've ever read in fanfic? Written?

Saddest scene...read? Written?

What made these stir up the emotions in you?

Death scene read would have to be, oh my.... the story where the fan is taking the different body parts from the boys.  I wanna say it was In Pieces by Julie....

Death scene written? oh gosh, I don't write death very often. I am going to say the deaths of everyone in Darkness of Vampires: End of All Hope.  :) I loved writing those very much.

Saddest scene read: I am going to have to go with the most recent and say the scene in RMTW when Brian is still denying putting Nick in a home to be cared for.   :(   

Saddest scene written: uh I don't write sad very well AT ALL.  I don't think I have any...

- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33