Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 85329 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:58 AM »

I totally do that too. Especially if I'm writing about a character grieving or something equally sad, I'll put on a playlist of sad music and really try to get into their mindset and make myself overly upset about it. I find that doing that really helps, it's hard to write a sad scene if you're in a really good mood. But, I almost need to be in that false, fabricated sad mood to write about sad stuff. If I'm legitimately annoyed or upset, I probably won't be able to write using those feelings - I tend to want to write the opposite in that case, lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2012, 12:48:48 AM »

^ That's exactly how I am, too.  I can make myself feel sad for the characters and their situation, but I'm not legitimately depressed by it or anything LOL.  In fact, deep down I'm thrilled because I love writing those emotional scenes.  That's why both writing and reading are so cathartic.  I love to cry over stories without really being sad.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #467 on: August 08, 2012, 01:23:40 AM »

^ That's exactly how I am, too.  I can make myself feel sad for the characters and their situation, but I'm not legitimately depressed by it or anything LOL.  In fact, deep down I'm thrilled because I love writing those emotional scenes.  That's why both writing and reading are so cathartic.  I love to cry over stories without really being sad.
I totally do that too. Especially if I'm writing about a character grieving or something equally sad, I'll put on a playlist of sad music and really try to get into their mindset and make myself overly upset about it. I find that doing that really helps, it's hard to write a sad scene if you're in a really good mood. But, I almost need to be in that false, fabricated sad mood to write about sad stuff. If I'm legitimately annoyed or upset, I probably won't be able to write using those feelings - I tend to want to write the opposite in that case, lol.

I feel better now. I thought I was the only one that put on the sappy music and made myself sad. Een hubby knows not to mess with my sad playlist.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #468 on: August 08, 2012, 01:29:29 AM »

LOL You are not alone, my friend!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #469 on: August 08, 2012, 01:59:28 AM »

Thanks, guys, for all the Curtain Call and RoTS love!!

As far as favorite death scenes go, there are definitely two ways to answer that one - funny or serious.  There are so many funny ones in 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter and Revenge of the Slaughtered that I can't even narrow it down to one!  Tracy and Steph have both contributed a lot of creative deaths, and Erika wrote one where Nick died after ODing on Viagara (they have those warnings about an erection lasting longer than four hours for a reason!) that cracked me the hell up.  I think my favorite one to write was the Burning Up death in 1000 Ways.  It's not even the most creative of the ones I've come up with; I think it's just the "soundtrack" that makes me like it so much LOL.  "The way you shake, shake, shake, shake that ass..."  For RoTS, of course it's the Muffin Man one!  I will never top that one LOL.

For serious death scenes, I agree with Mare that Brian's death in Scared of Reality was a good one because it was a shocker, happening in the middle of the story just when you thought he was going to get away.  Another one for me would be Nick's death at the end of the Swollen Issues series because, although it was coming, it was still a shock in its own right, and it wasn't pretty, but brutally realistic.  I respect that.  I was so attached to that series that I sort of grieved that one LOL.  For my favorite I've written, I have to go with Curtain Call.  I am proud of how that scene turned out.

As for saddest scene, I agree with everyone who said the end of Remember Me This Way was really sad.  I've kind of built up a tolerance to where I don't cry easily at fanfics anymore, but that one did make me cry.  Watching Nick forget what year it was and regress back to the Millennium era, then forget the people in his life and start seeing them as strangers, and ultimately forget who he was... that deterioration was just tragic and definitely brought some tears toward the end.  I think the saddest scenes that I've written have been when Brian's whole family died (the first time) in Song for the Undead and Casey's death in By My Side.  I remember actually crying over those Casey chapters, and I hardly ever do that with my own stories (though there was some influence from Dumbo there... holy shit, can that movie make me cry!).  Apparently killing children, even fictional children in minor roles, bothers me more than killing Backstreet Boys LOL.

Awww thank you ZDR!

OMG I forgot all about those Casey chapters too. Another moment that made me cry :(. I am not okay with killing kids in fiction. It so bugs me lmao. I kill people in my stories with no problems, but kids? I have issues.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #470 on: August 08, 2012, 02:01:59 AM »

Does anyone else actually try to make themselves emotional while they're gearing up to write an emotional part?

Definitely. Hell, "Safe and Sound" has become my new angst scene song LOL. I love writing sad scenes and really getting into the emotion of it. I know with RMTW there were times as I wrote, I found myself tearing up. But it felt good to know I was evoking that much emotion in myself cause I hoped it was coming across in the story. Glad I'm not the only one who goes out to be emo when writing angst LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #471 on: August 08, 2012, 02:11:27 AM »

^ That is a great angsty song!

I don't listen to sad music while I actually write as much anymore as I used to, but I do have playlists to get me geared up to write.  I try to take a walk every night or early in the morning, and if I've been writing or am planning to write, I have a certain set of songs I listen to that fit the mood of the story.  Other people walk to upbeat, motivational music; I walk to depressing emo songs! LOL 
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #472 on: August 08, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »

What motivates me to write is when i'm excited about what's going on with the boys (as far as fanfic is concerned) Like this past visit to London and having them all live together in one house, hello? I felt like if I didn't write about the experience my brain was going to burst. It has to be something like that to get me to write. I love writing in general but I find it's always hardest for me to just start.

On the other end, when nothing is happening in the fandom or something I really am not happy about (like the NKOTBSB) I find no motivation at all to write a thing. (like now, they are no longer in London so sudden'y i'm not at all interested in writing anymore lol) Also, like so many of you have said, real life issues getting in the way. During the school year, I have 0 inspiration to write a thing or if i'm really really stressed out, it's not going to work either because I always feel this guilt like I should be working on a solution to my problem instead of writing fanfiction. LOL
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:40:39 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #473 on: August 08, 2012, 06:39:42 AM »

Awww thank you ZDR!

OMG I forgot all about those Casey chapters too. Another moment that made me cry :(. I am not okay with killing kids in fiction. It so bugs me lmao. I kill people in my stories with no problems, but kids? I have issues.

I love the fact that you don't consider kids people lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #474 on: August 08, 2012, 06:42:28 AM »

I don't intentionally try to get myself all upset when i'm writing a sad scene, but I do find if it's going the way I want it to, i'll get sad as I write it.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #475 on: August 08, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »

Does anyone else actually try to make themselves emotional while they're gearing up to write an emotional part?

Maybe I should make a sad playlist but I have a hard time buying songs that make me sad. *shrugs* 

BUT the songs I listenend to for CP very much revved me up to write longing and wanting someone but can't really have them for various reasons and I think it translated well to the relationship between Kevin and Julie.  So since it worked there, maybe I need to break down and buy sad songs. HEH.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #476 on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »

I'M SO OUT OF THE LOOOOP !!! *tears up* I miss you guys!!! I'm working on the final chapters of Borrowed Time to update the story next time I get wifi access and I've started a new story as well to post when I've made my comeback. It's lonely without wifi! Everyone please pray for me to get a JOB this week so I can afford to pay rent and wifi fees! LOL SERIOUSLY -- in that order, of course.  ;D
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #477 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »

Good luck with the job search, Hannah!  I hope you find something soon!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #478 on: August 08, 2012, 12:46:45 PM »

Yup seconding the good luck vibes on the job hunt, Hannah!

What do you guys do when you get random inspiration at work? LOL. Because it drives me nuts sometimes that I spend my entire day in Microsoft Word and yet, I cannot write. I type up little notes on my phone if there's something I really can't get out of my head or really want to remember.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #479 on: August 08, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »

^ That never happens for me. I don't have time to think about anything besides work at work lol
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33