Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 86840 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »

After doing some thinking, I think I would go to lend my support and see them off, because I would regret it forever if I didn't go.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »

We need a less depressing question up in here! LOL  Anyone have one?  Anyone?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »

Okay what has been your favorite memory of writing? I'm sure everyone has one of those...

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2012, 11:22:20 PM »

That's a good one!  I'll have to think about it, but that definitely seems happier than discussing the Boys dying! LOL
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »

I've been on a roll thinking up questions, that's unusual lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #230 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:12 PM »

Okay, favorite writing or writing-related memories.  I definitely can't narrow them down to one, so here are the top three that came to mind:

*Finishing "By My Side"
Finishing ANY story feels good, but finishing BMS was especially amazing because I had been plugging away at it for almost four years, and if you include Broken in that, five years.  The two stories together were over a million words and almost 2000 pages long, so it felt like a huge accomplishment to type the final "The End."  And then I was just like, "Okay, now what?" LOL

*The Felix Awards
AC's fanfic awards are so much better than any of the old-school awards I was ever involved with.  My favorite part is when we all gather together on the forum for the award ceremony to see the winners announced.  Julilly, Mare, and Chaos put so much effort into making it fun, creative, and interactive, so it really feels like another Oscar/Emmy/Grammy night!  The year some of us actually put on gowns and took pictures of our reactions was fun.  And of course it's fun to be nominated and to win some awards, but the whole spectacle of it is as much fun as actually being recognized.

*00Carter chats
I've done a lot of collaborations, including two big collabs, but nothing has been more fun than 00Carter.  From the original thread on here that spawned the idea to our many late-night chats planning episodes on Yahoo Messenger, I've never laughed as much as I do when chatting and planning with Rose, Lore, and the rest of our crew who don't post here anymore.  And the writing is as much fun as the planning!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #231 on: August 01, 2012, 12:39:49 AM »

Wow... I don't know!

Definitely Felix Awards comes to mind. Like Julie said, that year some of us dressed up was really fun. And I love the awards ceremony themselves lol. It's always a really fun evening and you can always tell that Julilly, Mare and Chaos put a lot of work into them! I was also pretty happy when I got a runner-up for Nothing Good Happens After 2am. That was a nice feeling for sure!

When I was featured for In Pieces was another good one. That was also really awesome because I never thought I'd have a story that so many people would read and enjoy, much less some of the authors I looked up to! Also the feature was the same month that the story took place (August 2008) so that was kinda random and awesome how it worked out.

My friend and I have been having these writing days where we just sit in my apartment and write, and since we're directly across from each other it's like peer pressure. Those are always fun because one of us will just blurt out a random line about what we're writing and laugh... or we'll brainstorm with each other and neither of us really knows about each other's fandoms so we just come up with the weirdest stuff. Yeah lol

I'm sure there are more but those are the first ones that came to mind.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

myconfession

« Reply #232 on: August 01, 2012, 12:52:11 AM »

Favorite writing memories.... I have a few...

#1 - Not really writing... but kind of related. When the clip of Nick's "My Confession" came out over the 4th of July weekend in 2002. I had like 5,000 e-mails because of the site and I'm not going to lie, I cried. LOL.

#2 - Asking Nick about fan fiction last summer and him teasing me while getting the picture made about the question.

#3 - Starting my first real BSB story after my hiatus during college. It was called "Long Trip Alone."

#4 - Finding out a NASCAR driver read my NASCAR fan fiction and was on the site before and after qualifying during one race. LOL

#5 - Winning the Felix Award this past time, because I honestly didn't expect to win anything because I don't do all that much over here. That was hella cool.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2012, 01:36:57 AM »

Let's see....

1. Being featured last June was a total surprise because I haven't been around that long. I know I'm nowhere near any of you girls yet, but people asking for me to be featured made my week. I was so happy, I teared up.

2. Mare leaving me a review on MY story and telling me that she told people to read it. She's my favorite author so I was really touched by her review. Also seeing a lot of my other favorite authors reading the story meant a lot.

3. Winning best suspense story at the Felix Awards and being a part of it. I'd not been on the forum a long time so it was a lot of fun for me to participate, although I didn't think I was gonna win at all. I thought Rose and Julie or Mare would take it.

4. Looking at my page and seeing I've written 26 stories in just 3 years, seeing how much my writing has improved, I am just really proud of myself :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #234 on: August 01, 2012, 02:05:04 AM »

^ Isn't that the most amazing feeling, when someone you've looked up to reads your story and compliments you on it?

I think the first time that happened to me was with Broken.  Two of the people who gave me regular feedback on that story were Jenna, who co-wrote Swollen Issues, the story that inspired me to write Broken in the first place, and Jen, who wrote Blind Love, the first fanfic I ever read.  They were both medical drama queens and had been very influential to me and my writing, so it was awesome to know they were reading and enjoying a story of mine.  They are actually both nurses, so their feedback meant a lot to me for that reason too.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #235 on: August 01, 2012, 02:16:33 AM »

It is the BEST feeling in the entire world. I was so excited when you were reading too, because I look up to you guys. I look up to so many people here that I can't list them but having that happen while being a newbie....I got so much confidence from that.

My confidence in my writing has gotten tons better in the past year and I have all you girls to thank for that.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2012, 03:14:01 AM »

Aww, thanks, and you're welcome!  It never stops being awesome to hear that other people like your work, whether they're writers you've admired for years or readers who are brand new to the site.  And it's also flattering to find out that someone looks up to you the way that you've looked up to others.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #237 on: August 01, 2012, 03:14:55 AM »

Okay what has been your favorite memory of writing? I'm sure everyone has one of those...

I really enjoy the Felix Awards, it's a great feeling to just get nominated for anything and also to see some of my favourite author win awards.

Another good memory is discovering this place and the all the amazing stories posted here.  Before finding AC, I'd only read romance with the author as the female lead.

Having my favourite writers read my stories and review them.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »

One of my earliest favorite writing memories was sitting at the computer listening to music writing More Than That while chatting with the other Lipsticks to get ready for an update to the site and making smart ass comments to the show I was listening to, Murasaki was watching, in the background.  I don't know why that has stuck with me but it has.

Being surprised by the reaction some of my stories have gotten/get.   I love my own stories but to get reviews or comments from people saying how much they enjoy reading them is just a really nice feeling.  I have been especially surprised lately because I've had two people recently read and OLD story of mine and enjoy it.  It was so long ago, I have grown as a writer so I didn't think the way it was written was as good but it was nice to get comments from people who just read it and like it. 

Being nominated and winning the award this past year at the Felix Awards.  When I saw who I was up against I didn't think I had a chance of actually winning.  I'm still in shock that I won. 

The 00Carter chats are definitely entertaining and it's awesome how the ideas just blurt out from everyone.  And I have to give props to Rose for making sense of some of our random spew and forming the outlines as we go. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »

Sorry for the morbid question, it was all Julie's fault lol

As far as favorite writing memory. I have a few but not all of them have to do with writing. lol

The very first time I got feedback for Mizpah was pretty amazing because up until that point, I had never experienced that before. And just as Tracy mentioned me and I thank you so much for that, Tracy! To think i'm one of your favorite fanfic memories is incredible to me! Along those lines I can clearly remember the first time I ever got an email from Jenna, Swenglish and of course Chaos. I squeed as if the boys themselves had sent me feedback lol It means a lot when someone you look up to awknoledges your writing.

Writing Phantasm was a highlight for me because it's how I got really close to a lot of the fanfic writers I admire so much. Just emailing people back and forth and Iming others, this is really when Mersey and I became super close. The actual story wasn't all that great but the experience is something i'll never forget lol

Opening this forum! This was a big deal that both Julilly and I really pushed for and when we finally got to do it, I was hoping it would be a place where we could all go and talk about fanfic. I am so glad it ended up being just that and also it makes me smile knowing some real friendships were born because of this forum!

The featured author/story thread - I am so proud to have kept this going for as long as I have. We are now on our 67th story being featured. I just feel like so many other sites have tried to take this idea and run with it but they have all failed and we are still going strong. I take great pride in that and am really excited to see some of you mention that as an answer to your question.

Also thanks for all the Felix mentions. I really feel like Felix is Julilly's baby but it is a lot of work and we're glad you guys really enjoy it!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33