Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 85278 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #405 on: August 05, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »

I think it is safe to say I've written in almost every genre but slash, historical and fantasy. I am down to try just about everything as you guys have seen from me attempting 95% of the challenges. I'm down to try reading almost everything as well. I love challenging myself with each new story I start, I try to make each one different.

Look at my story list at AC, it is very diverse I think in terms of what I've written in the past 3 years.

I think that's awesome!  The nice part about being a diverse writer is that, even if everything you write isn't going to appeal to everyone, chances are everyone will enjoy at least one story you've written.  Whereas writers who have that clear niche and stay inside it may have a large, loyal base of readers, but they're not going to be able to attract other readers who aren't into whatever they like to write.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #406 on: August 05, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »

Yup, that's why I try to write in different genres a lot. I want to have stories everyone can enjoy, there will always be one or two someone will read.

I used to write just romance but I get bored easily. I have ADD when it comes to writing, so doing different genres helps this problem.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #407 on: August 05, 2012, 08:51:28 PM »

I do think it's important to branch out while still staying true to who you are. Like the people who compete on Project Runway or Top Chef. No matter what the challenges, as long as your style comes through, it'll be successful & yes, I'm catching up on Project Runway at the moment , hence the analogy.

For instance a romance written by me would be different than a romance written by a person who considers that their thing. Just like a cliff hanger for me would be different than a cliffhanger for them, but if challenged to write something suspensful and romantic, both writers if good at what they do, could pull it off. Yes?

I love the Project Runway analogy!  I agree.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #408 on: August 05, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »

I think that's awesome!  The nice part about being a diverse writer is that, even if everything you write isn't going to appeal to everyone, chances are everyone will enjoy at least one story you've written.  Whereas writers who have that clear niche and stay inside it may have a large, loyal base of readers, but they're not going to be able to attract other readers who aren't into whatever they like to write.

Yup, that's very true LOL.

I agree with what Mare said, I think your style comes through on whatever you write. A bromance I write is gonna be different from one Mare writes. Like right now actually LOL. A romance I write would be different from one Karah writes. And it's a good thing, because you want your style to be good and consistent no matter what the genre is.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #409 on: August 05, 2012, 10:58:36 PM »

I was laying in bed when I thought of this question so I got up and put my computer on before I fell asleep and forgot all about it lol That's dedication!

Anyway, since we've been talking about niches and what we think defines who we are as writers, my mind went to an idea for a challenge. To take a fairy tale like The Three Little Pigs for instance and anonymously write our own versions of it and then people would have to guess who wrote what just based on our styles and what we would do to the characters etc... like if I wrote it, I would focus mainly on their brotherly bond as they all fought the evil wolf. If Julie wrote it I'm pretty sure one of them would end up dying of swine flu? If Rose wrote it, one of the pigs would end up as bacon and be eaten by the others, Lore and Steph might have them accidentally transported to another universe, Saka Steph might have the black sheep angsting about the situation, Tracy might have a psycho pig move next door, Karah might have a female pig move in etc... but then after I came to the realization that everyone would say "YAY that sounds like fun!" but no one would actually do it! (besides Tracy and maybe Steph) I figured it would make a pretty great question instead, so here's the question after that big lead up! lmao

Pick a fairy tale that you think best matches up with yourself and your 'niche' and explain why.

I think in my case it would be The Three Little Pigs. You have the brotherly bond. The older one is stubborn and shakes his head at the younger two until he's needed by them at the end to rescue them from the wolf. It's tailor made for me lol

So, what about you guys? For fun you can also name some fairy tales you think other writers would pick as theirs.

And now I can go back to bed lmao I'm such a dorky loser!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #410 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:23 PM »

I think mine would be the original version of Cinderella lmfao. You know, where there's pieces of feet being chopped off and the birds plucking out the stepsister's eyes. There's angst cause she's mistreated, there's death cause the father dies lol. I mean sure there's romance but it's more about Cinderella finally getting what she earns LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #411 on: August 05, 2012, 11:13:02 PM »

Saka Steph might have the black sheep angsting about the situation

It would actually be the little blonde pig

That is a hard question! My mind instantly sort of went to Beauty and the Beast, just because of the super angsty beast who's upset, and there are characters all around him trying to help and fix the situation, but the only one who truly ends up really solving the issue is Belle. And also there's that lighthearted element with the awesome Gaston song (yeah I'm going with the Disney version - because who doesn't love the Gaston song?) and then he ultimately loses. There's also that portion where the two characters from two different worlds end up learning from each other, and that is definitely one of my favourite plotlines in any type of media lol I looove the Romeo and Juliet factor.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #412 on: August 05, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »

so many to choose from because so many have magic! LOL I keep thinking of one and how it would fit and then another comes to mind, I'll have to think about this longer, not sure if I can find one specifically.  

My pigs would be involved in a consipracy theory involving the wolf somehow, and the wolf might not be the bad guy but it really is some orginization that is forcing the wolf to behave the way he is.  ;)

Steph I LOVE the Gaston song...( G...A... S...T.... E...no Gast...o...... ah forget it...)  but my favorite song is The Mob Song

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #413 on: August 05, 2012, 11:31:32 PM »

BTW I love how I'm the one who got slapped with cannibalism LMFAO. That's epic.

We should have a challenge where we have to write a BSB fairy tale or something. I remember where we had to do the "same plot, different author" challenge and I'm the one who kills them all Final Destination ish LOL.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #414 on: August 05, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »

LMFAO at swine flu!  That is so true!  I love this question!  I need a minute to think about it before I answer.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #415 on: August 05, 2012, 11:51:39 PM »

I have always liked The Little Mermaid, and I like the original version of it....where she DOESN'T get the prince and ends up killing herself.

See, that story is full of angsty goodness, but I do love the Disney version cause let's face it....Eric is probably the best Disney prince next to Aladdin.

LMAO mare. Psycho pig??? Am I that predictable? I'd rather go with the pigs being involved in a conspiracy against the wolf or something....

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #416 on: August 06, 2012, 12:00:24 AM »

I am going to go with Thumbelina....  lol 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #417 on: August 06, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »

There's a version of Little Mermaid where Ariel's suicidal? LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #418 on: August 06, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »

I'm gonna go with Snow White.  It has a lot of my favorite elements.  There's angst - Snow White has a tragic back story, having lost both her parents, and is at odds with her stepmother, who is deeply jealous of her.  There's suspense - the queen wants Snow White dead and sends the huntsman to kill her.  There's the hint of violence and gore with the fact that she wants him to cut out Snow White's heart.  There's comic relief when she goes to live with the dwarves.  There's drama when the queen finds her and gives her the poisoned apple, putting her to sleep.  And there's romance when the prince comes and wakes her with the kiss of true love.  It has a little bit of everything that I love!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:05:05 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #419 on: August 06, 2012, 12:03:50 AM »

I have always liked The Little Mermaid, and I like the original version of it....where she DOESN'T get the prince and ends up killing herself.

See, that story is full of angsty goodness, but I do love the Disney version cause let's face it....Eric is probably the best Disney prince next to Aladdin.

Love that... angsty goodness!  And Eric is definitely the hottest Disney prince!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33