Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 77282 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Question of the day part 6
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »

Here is Erika's question of the day!

I have another question. I think I'm better at coming up with questions than answering them anyway.

Out of all your stories which character is your ultimate favorite that you've written? What about your least favorite? Why?
When you think of stories you've read...what character do you think of first? Why?
Ok that's more than one question...lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

My favorite character is Corin from Wulf's Bane.  He's the villian.  I love him because he is hell bent on gaining ultimate power. He has been the only character I've written that has been like that.  He was fun to write how he would handle situations versus how the good guys would be.   One of the scenes he kills someone in is my favorite death scene that I've written.  I didn't think of this in time for Rose's question about this.  But just the way he killed her and how little trouble he had killing this helpless woman who had given him the answers he wanted.    Eve, in that same story, is a really close second for favorite character.  She is a "bad guy" when she comes across Nick and his group but she isn't really all that bad.  She had more layers to her and I really enjoyed writing her reactions to things.

Least favorite .... I don't think I have a least favorite.  I have characters that need some work but I still like them and the part they play in the story they are in. 

characters that stand out in stories I've read.  Definitely Jack from Sinister Devotion.  I think because I have a difficult time portraying AJ and he seemed to be written with such ease in this story that he really stood out for me.   Max stands out in What Lurks Around the Corner because it was hard to tell what side he was really on.  You were cheering for him one minute and wishing him dead shortly after.   Valarie in FYO is another great one.  And one portrayal of Nick that I can't forget was in a story from, I think Chava?  I can't remember the title but he was just so mean and nasty and that was the first story I'd ever read like that. For some reason how he was portrayed in that story has just stood out to me all this time
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »

Out of all your stories which character is your ultimate favorite that you've written? What about your least favorite? Why?

My most favorite? Probably AJ from Song For The Undead, for one. I love writing his perspective because it's twisted but unique and I feel like you can really see his growth throughout the story while keeping that dark outlook. My other favorite is Nick in 00Carter, he's such a ball to write and I love writing him. He's kind of the stereotype, goofy, fun, a little blonde, but lovable, which is just fun :).

Least favorite...

I think Brian, in Here We Stand. He's really hard for me to relate to in that story, so it makes him hard to write. Because he's hard to write, it kills my love for writing him in that story a little bit LOL.

When you think of stories you've read...what character do you think of first? Why?

Stories I've read...

There's a few. Like Claire, in Broken, comes to mind immediately. Or Jordan the bot fly man in Save a Prayer LMAO. Oh, and Chub Chub, the teddy bear that kills in The Thirteenth Step. (Okay the last one is a bear not a character but he stands out in my head okay?)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »

Hey! Chub Chub never killed anybody! He just stabs Nick in the chest by accident! LOL

And thanks, Lore! I'm glad you thought Max was complex. I really enjoyed him. I have no idea what my answer is going to be to this question yet. I'll have to come back after thinking about it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »

My favorite character i've ever written would probably be my Nick from the Mel's stories. I loved how much his character had to grow because of all the tragedy in his life. When he started out, he was just a vulnerable kid and you just aren't sure if he's going to make it because of all the crap he goes through but by the time he graduates college you can see he's going to be just fine.

My least favorite character would be Kevin senior from the Protect and Serve series because he's such a douche and terrible father. I tried to make him not totally hateable but it was hard because I didn't think the guy deserved the chances his kids kept giving him after he abandoned his family.

Characters i've read that stuck with me I have a lot!

AJ in Leaving on a Jetplane. I know it seems like i'm showing Izzy a lot of love lately and maybe I am lol but she in my opinion has written the most realistic AJ I have ever read. He's so complex but yet sweet. When I picture fictional AJ in my head it's usually the AJ from this story.

Clare in Broken because she was the first female character I actually enjoyed reading. Not in the sense that I wanted to just know all about her lol but in the extent that I felt like she was able to hold her own with Nick in that story and never felt like she didn't belong there. Since you all know how I feel about female leads, that says a lot lol

Nick in Rewind because he was a complete mess but then was able to change his circumstances and we see this great change in him from being an uber jerk to this great guy!

Kevin in Yesterday's Blue Skies because he is so layered and so protective. Once again everything I think of when I think of Kevin but only in a sci fi setting and the fact that it IS a sci fi setting says a lot!

Carla in On the Rails - another example of a super strong female character. Probably my favorite one. I want to root for her and see her succeed and that's hard for me. Usually I want them to be run over or to just go away!

I'm sure there are a lot more but those are just a few that have stuck with me!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »

I think my favorite character that I've written is Claire in Broken & BMS.  Thanks for mentioning her!  She was the first really well-developed original character I created, and I enjoyed writing her.  I liked her personality and the role she played in both stories.

I'm struggling with least favorite character because there's two ways to answer that - least favorite because they're not well-written or least favorite because they're not likable.  Least favorite because they're not well-written would be most characters I wrote between 2000 and 2002 LOL.  There's not one that stands out in my mind as being particularly awful; they were all just kind of one-dimensional.  Least favorite for being unlikable... I guess Jamie in By My Side because he was a douche.  He was based on a guy I went to college with, who I had a crush on before I found out he was dating my roommate, but when I saw what a roller-coaster ride he took her on, I realized I was better off not liking him.  So I actually liked writing the character of Jamie because I could see how Claire could like him, but I could also see why Nick hated him.  He's least favorite for coming between my power couple LOL.

These are some of my favorite characters in other people's stories:

Nick in Running Up That Hill - He is such a jackass, but I love the way Steph writes him.  His narration always cracks me up, and his scenes are usually my favorite part of each chapter.  He has a unique take on things compared to the other guys LOL.

Nick in Save a Prayer - This Nick is like the opposite of the other Steph's Nick LOL.  Instead of acting like a douche, he actually becomes the hero and takes on the role usually reserved for Kevin, that of the leader.  It was cool to see Nick step up and save the day!  And dig bot flies out of Jordan's brain!'

Nick in Remember Me This Way - What can I say; most of the recent stories I've read have been Nick-centered!  This is a great example of angsty Nick, and angsty Nick is one of my favorite Nicks there is!  I felt so sorry for Nick in this story.  It's hard to imagine what it would be like to slowly lose your mind, but Rose did an awesome job showing what it might be like through Nick's perspective.

Amanda in Something Beautiful - I wanted to hate Amanda in this story... first because she went along on a trip that I wanted to be just Nick and Brian... and second because of the sneakiness she was up to behind the scenes.  But I couldn't hate her.  I actually really liked her.  She wasn't Mary Sue or Anti-Sue; she was just REAL.  Far from perfect, but not annoyingly flawed.  Just flawed in one major way that made for an interesting storyline.

Brian in Between the Lines - All of the guys in this story were actually really interesting because they were our Boys, but with a twist.  But Brian was especially lovable.  He was always upbeat, committed to his team, a good friend to everyone but especially Nick, and also a bit of a hoarder LOL.  I really enjoyed him.

Kevin in The Importance of Fly Fishing - No one writes Kevin better than Mare.  (Not that I read many Kevin stories by other authors LOL.)  She does a great job at showing Kevin in his big brotherly role, but also letting his subtle sense of humor shine through.  I really enjoyed him and his relationship with Nick in this one.

Ciara in Cover Me With Dreams - One reason I'm not a huge fan of full-out romance is that I have to really like both characters individually and as a couple to want to read a whole story about them, with no other subplots to keep me interested if I'm not so into them.  Nick in this story is simply amazing, but Ciara is an equally good character.  I though she was interesting on her own, and I adored the way her relationship with Nick grew and changed over the course of the story.

Kara in The Market - Another great female lead, this time not in a romantic role.  Kara was just believable, down-to-earth, and cool, and I loved the part she played in Nick's life.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:46:01 PM »

Thanks for the Nick mention, Julie. I really enjoy writing him in that story. No thought is too random for Running Up That Hill Nick, lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

Since awards suddenly are the new white meat lol here are some awards centered questions

How do you feel about fanfic awards? Have you ever been nominated for one? Do you prefer awards voted on or judged? How important would it be for you to win an award? What award would you most like to win & which story of yours do you feel deserves an award.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »

How do you feel about fanfic awards?

I think they're pretty fun and it's nice to recognize the bests in fanfic.

Have you ever been nominated for one?

Yes I have :).  

Do you prefer awards voted on or judged?

I prefer judged but man I so understand why everyone does voting. Ten times easier LOL.

How important would it be for you to win an award?

It's great to be recognized and honored that way, but I wouldn't say it's "important" because I keep writing whether I win or not lol. But of course I want to win anytime I'm nominated for something.

What award would you most like to win & which story of yours do you feel deserves an award.

I'd like to see RMTW win Best Drama/Angst someday, just because of everything I put into that story :).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:48:34 PM by Rose »

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »

Nick in Remember Me This Way - What can I say; most of the recent stories I've read have been Nick-centered!  This is a great example of angsty Nick, and angsty Nick is one of my favorite Nicks there is!  I felt so sorry for Nick in this story.  It's hard to imagine what it would be like to slowly lose your mind, but Rose did an awesome job showing what it might be like through Nick's perspective.

Awwww thank you!

I agree with all your selections. :). I'd like to add in Nick from Curtain Call too. It's the most realistic I've seen Nick be written to true life Nick in awhile. You sometimes wanna smack his cocky little ass but it's real, and that's why I love him so much in that story.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:03:09 PM »

I like fanfic awards!  It's just a fun way to recognize each other for all the time, effort, and creativity that goes into our writing.  I like that they seem to be making a comeback; for awhile, it was just the Felix Awards, which of course are the best, but while we're waiting for the nomination period to begin, it's fun to have some other ones going on that are different.

I don't really have a preference when it comes to voted vs. judged.  I like both, and I love when awards actually have a combination of both.  Voting is quick and easy for the ones organizing the awards, and it takes everyone's opinion into consideration.  The downside is that you can't expect every voter to have read every story that's nominated in order to make a truly informed decision, so it's basically a popularity contest.  That said, popular stories are popular for a reason, so while the winners of voted awards may not be the best-written, they're certainly not bad.  Judged awards are nice because they really take the quality of the story into account, and as long as the judges are using the same criteria to determine winners, it's fairly objective.  The downside is that the winner is still being chosen by one person, and if there's not a rubric or something to keep it objective, the judging can be pretty subjective.  Also, it's a lot more time-consuming.

The awards that mean the most to me are ones for the stories that I've put the most work into or stretched myself the most to write.  It's also fun to win awards in categories that I've never won before.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »

Thanks, Rose!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »

How do you feel about fanfic awards?

They can be fun, and a nice way to shine a good light on stories that deserve it. On the flip side, they have the potential to cause a lot of drama and hurt feelings. I have honestly always been a little on the fence about them.

Have you ever been nominated for one?
Yes. Been nominated for Felix a few times and for some reason I Wish got nominated in those 1DFF awards. Kind of weird because the stories it's up against are a lot better, and the first ten chapters of that are basically just BSB fic.

Do you prefer awards voted on or judged?
I prefer judged, and the reason for that is winning the award definitely means that your writing is what got the award. Voted are fun too, and they have their merit to them as well. Winning a voted award means that enough people liked your story to think it deserved to win. Both are nice in their own way.

Or you know, like those ATB awards that combined BOTH judging and voted awards. In the same categories. I'm not trying to start drama, but the topic of fanfic awards always reminds me of that mess. First of all, we each had to judge a category. Then, the top 5 stories out of the judging got put to a poll. A poll! So what was the point in judging even? I have no idea what my score was (because I nominated my own story because that's what everyone was doing and it was like you wouldn't get a nomination if you didn't do that) and then my story got last place in the poll because they left the poll unlocked so everyone could see the results (I don't think that was intentional) but was my story actually bad? I have no idea!

Oh and then the awards never got handed out and the site disappeared. Fail.

How important would it be for you to win an award?
Not gonna lie, I've always wanted to win one. Obviously I would keep writing, but it'd be nice to win. But I know that I don't write/update a lot so that's cool.

What award would you most like to win & which story of yours do you feel deserves an award.
That's a hard question, I don't even know. There are a couple of one-shots I've written that I'd like to see get recognized. I don't know that any of my chaptered fic would win anything but I guess the category I'd like to take one day is either best drama/angst or best short story (I don't think that's even a real category though.)

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »

Lmao, wow that's a bad awards setup.

And yes, there's a short story category LOL.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »

Swear to god if my 1D awards end up a mess like that I'll feel bad for those boys as they won't have any fans left on account of me destroying them all.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35