Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78114 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 08:23:53 PM »

Yeah, there used to be a TON of awards sites, but a lot of them were flaky and never finished or awarded any stories.  I keep a list of the ones I've won on my site, and honestly, when I look at some of the stories I won awards for, I'm just like, "...How the hell did that happen??"   Must have been a shallow pool of nominees!  That shit would never win at the Felix Awards LOL.

The review sites were different; they really gave you a thorough critique, so that's definitely something authors need to sign up for themselves.  I submitted Broken to one of those, but it wasn't yours, Lore.  I remember yours, though; I think one of my friends submitted a story to yours.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 08:38:24 PM »

A one shot awards would be fun. Someone (else) should do that lol

Maybe after I finish the 1D ones I'll do BSB ones. But by then we'll be into Felix season, I think. My 1D awards are over October 1st.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »

If it were the beginning of the summer, I'd volunteer too, but I'm not gonna have time to run an awards.  I will next summer, though, if we're still interested.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »

I don't remember review sites but it sounds like a good idea. Kind of like what we do for the reading challenge in giving CC?

The only awards I remember are the east water convergence ones which I loved because of the feedback that came with them. The Gravity awards & yours Julie. I used to have s page devoted to all my awards on my site but when I deleted the site the awards were deleted too lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

myconfession

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:39 PM »

I remember those water awards! I think I won one for "I Wanna Be Bad" or "The Right Kind of Wrong." LOL They seemed legit, unlike some of them that popped up.

I don't really remember any review sites, other than Lore's, but I don't think I ever submitted anything for it. I was too scared because I loved the Lipstick website so much that if she read my work and hated it, I'd be heartbroken. LOL!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 08:56:27 PM »

I don't remember the names of the other review sites, but yeah, it was kinda like the reading challenge, Mare, except there was no work required on your part.  You just submitted your story to be read by one of the critics on the site, and they read it and filled out a form that reviewed different aspects of it.  It was a great way to get in-depth feedback, if you could stomach the concrit.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »

I don't remember any of the review sites, but I was sorta out of the loop for a while. They do a lot of that concrit thing on 1DFF though, actually. Where you fill out the form and get feedback and a score.

I think it's cool to get feedback along with the award! You guys gave out the scoresheets back when Felix was judged, right?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »

I was the only reader for my review site.  I rated it and gave CC to the authors.  I also had an ongoing list of all the stories I read recommending all of them.  Something like:

If you like gore then read:
Song for the Undead by Rose and Julie 4 stars
Follow along as the boys face death when they face off with Zombies. 

I doubt anyone took my word for it when it came to stories.  And one girl got completely pissed off because she wasn't expecting the review.  Hence why I wanted the AUTHOR to submit it. LOL

The review site was the only way I was reading fanfic for a while. LOL
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »

I don't remember any of the review sites, but I was sorta out of the loop for a while. They do a lot of that concrit thing on 1DFF though, actually. Where you fill out the form and get feedback and a score.

I think it's cool to get feedback along with the award! You guys gave out the scoresheets back when Felix was judged, right?

I think we did for people who requested it and the rubric
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 12:11:36 AM »

Aw, thanks guys. I just go through phases of being active and inactive! Maybe one day the plethora of 1D contests I enter will get me an award haha.

And yes those ATB awards were a mess. I think you're right Julie - it would have been a lot better if they'd done the poll first and then the judging.

The ATB awards had bigger issues. Being, of course, that they stole all of my ideas and my judging rebric from Felix and I made their life hell until they ran away. :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 12:33:03 AM »

Like we said on twitter - they were missing the key ingredient, you and mare :)
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 05:18:14 AM »

^ I'm actually surprised they didn't find generic versions of us.

"guys and here are the new mods brulilly & Cher" lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 05:32:45 AM »

How do you feel about fanfic awards?
I think they're a great idea, if they are done properly like the Felix Awards are.  Before joining here I'd never taken part in any kind of awards.

Have you ever been nominated for one?
Yes, I've been nominated for a couple of my stories in the Felix Awards and most recently in Rose's awards :)

Do you prefer awards voted on or judged?
I don't really mind, but I can see that voted awards would be a lot less time consuming than judged.

How important would it be for you to win an award?
Obviously I'd be happy to win an award, but if I don't, then it's not the end of the world and it wouldn't prevent me from writing.  Being nominated and seeing my stories up there with my favourite writers is awesome!

What award would you most like to win & which story of yours do you feel deserves an award.
I hate answering questions like this because I don't feel that I deserve anything.  But if I won one for any of my stories, of course I'd be grinning like a Cheshire Cat :)

myconfession

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 05:46:59 AM »

Brulilly and Cher.

This must have happened when I was out of the game and busy in college. I don't remember those awards lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 06:22:07 AM »

I think it's safe to say you didn't miss much lol
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35