Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Reading your own stories...challenge  (Read 12203 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Reading your own stories...challenge
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:50:41 PM »

I thought this would be a nice challenge for some of us who do not feel comfortable reading our own work.

A challenge to you is to read one or more of your older stories and then fill out the survey. Old can be really really old or even as old as your newest one. Just anytime you read one of your own stories, take a minute and fill this form out!

There is no deadline for this, in fact we'll just keep it open forever. LOL Hopefully some of you will do this. I plan on filling one out for each of my stories I read. I challenged myself to read my stuff this year! lol

Reading self evaluation form

Name of story:
Year you wrote it:
Summary: (You can use the one from the site or make a new one up now)
Main Character:

1) Did you feel your characters were strong?

2) Was your plot consistent?

3) Did you have many filler chapters or sub plots?

4) What is something you are proud of concerning this story?

5) Did you find any major problems or inconsistencie s?

6) Something interesting that you took away from this one?

7) On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate this one?

8) Did your opnion change from you wrote it originally?

9) Would you recommend this one to anyone?

Final thoughts and comments about it: (If you think everyoe else should give it a chance or not etc...)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:53:00 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Reading your own stories...challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »

There ya go! I went first lol

Name of story: A Million Little Things
Year you wrote it: 2008

Yes. I only had four of the guys in this one. Howie was absent because it revolved around his father dying and the small break they took.

Pretty much

None, which I was kind of happy about!

I really liked the use of friendship quotes at the beginning of every chapter. I'm not big on doing stuff like that and I didn't remember actually doing it for this one. LOL But they fit really well.

No, not really.

I tend to copy myself a lot more than I realized. I felt like a lot of what I was reading I had read somewhere else.

I would say an 8 lol

8) Did your opinion change from you wrote it originally?

I had no opinion of this one because I couldn't remember it at all lmao

Yes, I would actually! I thought it was a pretty good story. I know I won't be saying that too often in here lmao

Final thoughts and comments about it: (If you think everyone else should give it a chance or not etc...)

I'm just glad I finally forced myself to read this!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:18:53 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 06:11:05 PM »

Name of story: Forces of Nature
Year you wrote it: 2008

1) Did you feel your characters were strong? No, not really.

2) Was your plot consistent? What plot, lol.  It was basically girl meets boy in a random place, they fall in love and live happily ever after *cringe*

3) Did you have many filler chapters or sub plots? No, it was mainly sex all the way *cringe*

4) What is something you are proud of concerning this story? The presentation looks alright to me and I didn't find any typos.

5) Did you find any major problems or inconsistencie s? It was rushed, very little plot and didn't have much detail in it.

6) Something interesting that you took away from this one? Maybe romance isn't the genre for me, lol.  Don't self-insert. 

7) On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate this one? Two.  I don't know if that's being too harsh or too generous.  I'm still cringing a bit after reading it.

8) Did your opnion change from you wrote it originally? Yes, it's worse than I remember!

9) Would you recommend this one to anyone? No.  In fact I'm embarrassed to have it still posted, lol.

Final thoughts and comments about it: (If you think everyoe else should give it a chance or not etc...)
Don't waste your time reading it, you'll only regret it!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »

I loved A Million Little Things, it was the first of your stories which I read :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 06:20:23 PM »

^ aww thanks, Steph :)

I had to change my answer to #6 because I was getting this one confused with Cough Medicine which i'm reading now. There were no villians in A Million Little Things lmao

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »

lmao aww Steph! Go read Rewind or Save a Prayer! :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »

lmao aww Steph! Go read Rewind or Save a Prayer! :)

I'm reading Games now, and smiling as I read.  I liked writing that one :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »

Ooh I forgot that one! That was another great one :) yay Supernatural!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »

I will be doing this challenge shortly :)

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »

Name of story: Switch
Year you wrote it:2009

1) Did you feel your characters were strong? Yup,I think it was just like the guys in real life(from what I've seen)

2) Was your plot consistent? Yup

3) Did you have many filler chapters or sub plots? nope

4) What is something you are proud of concerning this story? It's my first one done that's not 3 chapters lol

5) Did you find any major problems or inconsistencie s? no

6) Something interesting that you took away from this one? Uh can't think of anything....it's just a funny story

7) On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate this one? 7

8) Did your opnion change from you wrote it originally? nope

9) Would you recommend this one to anyone? yup ;) Its a nick/kevin story so if your a big fan of that *looks at mare* you might like it

I'm just glad I got a long story done
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:35:56 PM by carterkid »

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »

Name of story: Incomplete

Year you wrote it: 2009

-not really. The characters aren't developed that much.

- Yes it was. I liked my transitions between Nick's coma world and what was happening in the real world.

- no, it flowed pretty well. There was some filler and didn't stray from the plot too much.

- I liked some of the ideas I had for this story, like the coma world's boys vs real life boys. The part of Brian being a male stripper amused me a lot.

- there was a lot more I could do with Howie, I feel he wasn't opposite of himself enough.

- This story was written before I realized I needed to separate quotations and paragraphs, but I am impressed I didn't have many spelling errors or typos.

- I'd give it about a 6.

- Yes because my writing has changed a lot since I wrote this, but I'd never delete or rewrite this story except to make it more readable.

- The plot is kinda out there and it is a Nick in a coma story so people might enjoy it. But don't go by my word lol.

Final thoughts and comments about it: (If you think everyone else should give it a chance or not etc...)

None that I can think of.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 01:23:58 AM »

I'm going to fill this out for the first fanfic I finished writing and then the most recent fanfic I finished writing.  The answers should be on vastly different ends of the spectrum! LOL

Name of story:  Heartache
Year you wrote it:  2000

Um, no.  None of the characters had any sort of depth.  They were all just flat cardboard cutouts who said and did stuff LOL.

The plot moved pretty quickly.  The whole story is only 15 short chapters.  The first third of it was just about Brian and the guys; the female lead, Alexa, wasn't even introduced until Chapter 6, and by the end of the story, she and Brian are in love.  There was a lot of summary to get from one point to another.

There weren't really filler chapters because I just used a lot of summary to move the story along.  As far as subplots, there are two main storylines that are woven together, the medical drama one and the romance one, but not any subplots.

This story is not good by any means, but it's far from the worst I've read.  It's not even the worst I've written, even though it was my first.  I was only fourteen when I wrote it, so I can forgive myself for it being so simplistic and naive.  What I'm proud of is the fact that it's pretty well-written in terms of grammar and conventions.  It's organized into complete sentences and paragraphs, it uses appropriate punctuation, the dialogue is punctuated the right way, the spelling is fine, etc.  The 8th grade diploma I had when I wrote this came in handy! LOL

Besides the fact that it does more "telling" than "showing," I noticed at least one sentence that was missing some punctuation, and I also caught a chapter in which I changed the name of a minor character within the same chapter... oops LOL.  Also, it's very obvious that I did not do any real research in writing the medical aspects of the story.  My only "research" involved rereading a Lurlene McDaniel book that was written in the 80s and maybe watching ER, and it shows.  But I was fourteen and didn't have access to or even knowledge of the kind of resources I have now, so again, I can forgive myself for that.

I guess something interesting is that I don't hate the plot of this one.  In fact, Secrets of the Heart is sort of a more mature and twisted version of the same basic premise, without the romance and with more of a psychological/mystery element.

3 - because like I said, it's not good, but it's not a total failure.

Yes - when I originally wrote it, I had enough pride and confidence in it to submit it to a site to be hosted.  That was the first step that eventually led me to start my own site.  The only reason this story is still posted on my site now is purely out of nostalgia.  I would never post it on AC or anywhere else.

No

Final thoughts and comments about it:  Heartache is what it is:  It's the first fanfic I finished and posted online, and it led to two sequels and then more stories after that.  Its "medical drama with a hint of romance" storyline was very telling of the type of stories I would become known for writing.  Everyone has to start somewhere, and that is where I started LOL.

Name of story:  Curtain Call
Year you wrote it:  2010-2011

Yes.  Nick was a different Nick from the versions of him I've written in other stories - more mature and laid back, but also more cocky and manipulative (yet still charming).  I tried to write him as I see him on stage, in interviews, and online, while imagining how he might react the fictional situation of having cancer.

Cary was a character I could both picture clearly in my head and relate to.  I think she was likable, but also flawed, in that she was easily manipulated by Nick.  But I felt like she behaved in a consistent way - she never did anything that made me think, "The Cary I know wouldn't have done this."

This story is about a journey, and I think the journey can be broken down into several legs, each with their own story mountain.  The first leg is the set up, in which both characters and their backstories leading up to the start of the story are introduced.  The second leg is about Nick hiding his illness while on tour, which takes up most of the first half of the story.  The third leg is the "calm before the storm," in which Nick undergoes a stem cell transplant to keep his disease in remission and Cary explores her relationship with him, and the final leg is them dealing with his impending death.  I think they all go together to tell the complete story, but I also see how the first and second half of the story are different enough that they could have possibly been split into two separate stories.  I'm not a fan of sequels, though, so I'm glad I kept it all as one.

There were some filler chapters, but none that I thought were pointless fluff.  Every chapter did something to move the story forward, whether it showed a tour stop and a passage of time or a scene that helped to develop the characters and their relationship.  As far as subplots, there weren't really any that didn't relate directly to Nick, Cary, or the situation they were dealing with.  I felt like everything - the tour, Cary's aspiring singing career, her dead mom backstory, and her relationship with Nick - tied together to form the main plot of the story.

I'm proud of how the first person narration turned out.  The medical stuff was old hat to me by the time I wrote this one; I knew I was capable of researching and writing it realistically.  But this is one of the first novels I've written in first person point of view, especially alternating between two different characters' voices, and I wasn't sure how that was going to go.  I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, and when I went back to read it, I was really happy with it myself.

There are 27 typos or missing words that I need to go back and correct!  There was also one chapter where I had the narrator mention that the cruise was off, and then a few chapters later, they acted like they were still considering whether or not to go through with it.  That was an inconsistency.  But I didn't really notice anything major.

When I started this story, I knew I wanted Cary's character to be female, even though the movie that inspired the idea (Funny People) was more of a bromance.  It just didn't make sense to me to create a male original character when I already have four other Backstreet Boys for bromance.  That said, I wasn't sure if Cary would become a romantic female lead or not.  Obviously I could see it going that way because I like romantic subplots, but I didn't want to force it, so I decided to see what kind of chemistry my two characters had and let them decide.  What happened was that while I realized early on that Cary had a crush on Nick, I was never sure of his feelings, and eventually I just figured out he wasn't as into her as she was into him.  He liked her as a person, but he was also using her for her companionship and her caring nature (and also for sex).  Almost any part in his POV where it mentions him wanting her to stay, the reasons he gives are that he's lonely and/or bored without her.  He never thinks "because I love her and just can't live without her."  And so once I realized that, I wrote that into the story, the fact that they didn't feel the same way.  It made it even more of a tragedy in my mind, but I think that also made it more interesting than if they had been soulmates.  I'm glad that I paid attention to my characters and was willing to go where they took me, instead of forcing them to feel a certain way that worked for my plot, but didn't work for them.  That's a lesson I learned the hard way from By My Side, and I hope I'll remember it for future stories.

I'm going to be an arrogant douche and say 9.  As a writer, I'm proud of this story, but as a reader, I actually really enjoyed just reading it.  There was really nothing in it that made me cringe or have regrets, and that's a first for me when it comes to a novel like this one.

I liked Curtain Call as I was writing it, but I may like it even better after reading it in its entirety.  The whole time I wrote it, I was comparing it to Broken in my head... and while I could appreciate that the writing was of a better quality, in my mind it didn't have the same magic as Broken.  Broken is my baby; I've never been more attached to a story than I was to that one.  But when I compare the two now that they're both done and I can step back and look at them from some distance, I can see how much better of a story CC really is, in most ways.  It's raised my opinion of CC and probably lowered my opinion of Broken LOL.

To anyone who loves a good, long tearjerker and doesn't mind female leads or detailed descriptions of medical procedures, yes.  For readers who don't like those things, probably not LOL.

Final thoughts and comments about it:  I'm really proud of this story and thrilled with the reception it got on AC.  Even though it completely killed my momentum on Guilty Roads, I'm glad I went where my inspiration took me and wrote Curtain Call.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 06:50:39 AM »

Name of story: Games
Year you wrote it: 2010

1) Did you feel your characters were strong? Yes, I think the characters of Dean and Sam Winchester were easily recognisable, as were Nick and AJ.

2) Was your plot consistent? Yes.  The plot for this was supposed to be like an episode of Supernatural, and I think it came across like that.

3) Did you have many filler chapters or sub plots? No, this story was quite fast moving and stuck to the main plot.

4) What is something you are proud of concerning this story? It was the first time I had a go at something like this and I realised how much I enjoyed it.  I think it was well written, and enjoyed reading it.

5) Did you find any major problems or inconsistencie s? No, it seemed to read alright to me.  I'm sure there are errors in there somewhere, but I didn't notice any spelling errors.

6) Something interesting that you took away from this one? That I like writing horror/suspense and think I do an alright job of it.  Maybe I could expand a little with descriptions as I tend to keep it simple.

7) On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate this one? I'll give it an 8 because it kept my interest as I was reading, and it was enjoyable (well, to me anyway, lol).

8) Did your opnion change from you wrote it originally? No, I enjoyed writing it and I enjoyed reading it back just as much.  Maybe I would've added more detail, but I'm not going to change that now.

9) Would you recommend this one to anyone? Yes.  If you like stories with a bit of horror, supernatural stuff and suspense then you might like it.

I enjoyed writing this and I think it shows.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 07:37:43 AM »

I enjoyed reading it too! :)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »

I really liked Games, Steph! I've only seen a couple of episodes of Supernatural, and Dean and Sam really interested me as characters. I think you did a great job with that one!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: [1] 2 3