Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Reading your own stories...challenge  (Read 12208 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Reading your own stories...challenge
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »

Name of story: I'll Always Be Right There
Year you wrote it: 1999

1) Did you feel your characters were strong? The characters of myself and my friends were strong, even though we were exaggerated versions of ourselves. The BSB characters? Um, no.

2) Was your plot consistent? The plot was actually fairly consistent. That doesn't mean it wasn't pages and pages of will they/won't they for Steph and Nick though.

3) Did you have many filler chapters or sub plots? The entire story was a filler chapter LOL. Nothing happened!

4) What is something you are proud of concerning this story? That I finished it. It was the first fanfic I ever wrote and the fact that I followed through and finished it is something I'll always be proud of, even if it the content of it is terrible.

5) Did you find any major problems or inconsistencie s? Well, it's a little weird that Nick and the rest of the BSB have decided to move from Florida to Winnipeg and that Brian is dating Sophie, who is 16 years old and he's like... 24. Oh, that that everyone is perfectly okay with Brian, Nick, Steph and Sophie living in the same house.

And actually that house is a real house in my parent's neighborhood. Whenever I walk by it, I smile, haha.

6) Something interesting that you took away from this one? The trend of putting my own life into stories began with this one, and this story begins with my real-life breakup with my boyfriend lmao. I really just wanted Nick to come fix everything wrong with my 13 year old life, haha.

7) On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate this one? 2, and it only gets the extra point because the spelling/grammar isn't bad.

8) Did your opnion change from you wrote it originally? Uh yeah when I wrote it I was super proud of it and thought it was the greatest fanfic ever.

9) Would you recommend this one to anyone? Nope, and no one will ever find it because the only copy is printed out in a binder in my bin of BSB shame.

Final thoughts and comments about it: (If you think everyoe else should give it a chance or not etc...) I was embarrassed about it even in 2001 when I had my own teeny website because it didn't even make it onto that lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 08:30:01 AM »

Name of story: All I Wanted was Some Cough Medicine
Year you wrote it: 2003 One of my oldies!! lol

1) Did you feel your characters were strong?

You know, I actually do feel like they were pretty strong. Especially my villians.

2) Was your plot consistent?

Yup

3) Did you have many filler chapters or sub plots?

I didn't have any filler chapters or real subplots going on

4) What is something you are proud of concerning this story?

I have to say i'm pretty proud of the action filled chapters. I think this might have been my very first real action based story and I think I did a pretty good job keeping the suspense going throughout.

5) Did you find any major problems or inconsistencie s?

There were some grammar no nos! Ugh, I was annoying myself by not always separating the dialogue by speaker. But as far as the actual story, there were no glaring errors. Just some very sterotypical things like having Howie being referred to as "The Latino" and "The young blonde" luckily no orbs in sight! Go me! lmao

6) Something interesting that you took away from this one?

I think my love for Kevin and his eyes were very evident in this story. Usually i'm not one to ooh and ah over the boys looks, in fact most times people aren't fully sure who my favorite boy is but in this one, you can pretty much tell lmao Also I found it interesting that I named my villians after my ex best friend and her ex boyfriend who is now my brother in law. I guess all the drama concerning them was happening during this period in my life!

7) On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate this one?

I would give it about a 7

8) Did your opnion change from you wrote it originally?

I'm not sure what I thought about it originally, but most likely, no.

9) Would you recommend this one to anyone?

I actually would. I didn't think so when I first started it but after getting into it, I really do believe it's a pretty good action fic. There are some elements that I rolled my eyes at lol like the believeabilty of the police letting Brian and Howie ride along for a car chase in the middle of the woods? lmao but if you can get past that and the dialogue thing, I think you'd enjoy it!

Final thoughts and comments about it: (If you think everyoe else should give it a chance or not etc...)

This story pretty much sums up Julie's question in the other thread about guilty pleasures. It had pretty much everything I look for when reading a story so much so I can tell that's why I wrote it! lol To me that was interesting!

I had fun doing this! I don't know what to read next though lmao any suggestions?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »

LOL go read The Apartment Mare. Or Total Kaos 24/7 (I think that's the title) if you wanna read one of your oldies.

See, I told you "All I Wanted Was Some Cough Medicine" still held up!
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »

I was thinking of The Apartment maybe lol and yes, you did. I'm just glad it didn't suck! At least to me, i'm sure it sucked to a fair amount of people who read it though. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 06:51:30 AM »

Name of story: The Apartment
Year you wrote it: 2004
Summary: (You can use the one off of the site or write a new one) When the Carters decide to go on a  family vacation, they drop Nick off to spend three weeks with Howie, Kevin and Brian who are all sharing a one bedroom apartment in Florida. At the beginning of their careers they are all trying to become accustomed to each other and the last thing Kevin wants to do is baby sit who he considers to be the most annoying child on the planet!
Main Character: Kevin, Nick, group

Yup

Yup again lol

No fillers or sub plots happening

I liked the exploring of Nick and Kevin's relationship when they first started out. That's when this story takes place, in the very early days before they were famous or even signed and all of the guys are still trying to figure each other out, but it mainly focuses on Kevin and Nick's relationship and especially Kevin's thoughts.

5) Did you find any major problems or inconsistencie s ?

Just some editing issues! I could tell I was in a rush to post this without thoroughly checking it like I do now. This was my let me write about four or five stories at once and see how it goes, period lol Also again with the not breaking up the dialogue but I didn't do it as much in this one, maybe a few places.

I am pretty cheesy! I could tell how influenced by Swenglish I was for this one. It's funny because at the end I do thank her so there ya go! LOL

I would give it about a 7 for the idea but about a 6 for the execution.

8) Did your opinion change from you wrote it originally?

I am pretty sure when I wrote it, I thought it was awesome! Now, not so much lol

Yikes, I'm not sure. On the one hand I think it's a great idea and there are parts in here that I am really proud of, but It also kind of embarrassed me a little more than I thought it would. So, I would say if you are in the mood to read something really cute, over the top cheesy and sweet this would be a fun one but otherwise, not my best stuff lol

Final thoughts and comments about it: (If you think everyone else should give it a chance or not etc...)

You could tell in this one, I was still getting to know these guys better myself. I wrote them so stereotypical that I actually laughed out loud a few times. I have Howie winking left and right in this one! I use lil man about every other sentence and I make Nick a bit over to top immature at times. Looking back I doubt he would have done some of the stuff I had him do but maybe? I guess that's what I'm on the fence about lol because I know several 12 and 13 year olds that do act the way I portrayed him but quite a few, not really. I did like the way I portrayed Brian. He was my comic relief in this one and I found myself enjoying him a lot! And my obvious hate of Jane was there big time!

I also thought it was pretty funny where towards the end Nick sprains his ankle (Swenglish influenced lol) and they talk about him going to the emergency room before it gets infected and they have to chop his leg off and they make a joke about not being able to have a one legged Nick in the group! lmao I found myself wondering if I was inspired to write that before Broken or if I took that as a nod TO Broken LOL If it was before Broken's time that's pretty funny! It was about February or so of 2004 when I wrote that chapter.

Anyway, I think I'm going to tackle To Protect and Serve next because it looks like I was writing that at the same time as this which is insane to me since they are so night and day!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:54:49 AM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »

I included a few more things at the beginning of the survey like main characters and summary. It might help people who are looking at the surveys to get a better understanding of what the stories are about lol
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:57:50 AM by mare »

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »

You know I was just re-reading The Apartment LOL. I needed a good get lost in fanfic break. There's things in there I totally didn't notice back in the day but do now. My inner editing nazi's grown a bit LOL. I loved Brian in this one though, he was hilarious. Especially the Ass Conversation.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 07:54:52 AM »

^ That was my favorite part as well lol and yeah, I agree the editing was poor poor poor in this one. So many mistakes I wanted to go back and fix everything but eh....we know how that goes. lol If it was something I knew lots of people would still read I would but it's old enough to leave as is.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 07:58:55 AM »

I did figure out the publish dates are all a bit off for these older stories. I think the dates are when I transferred them onto AC but not when I actually wrote them. I think they are all older than they are. I figured that out when I saw Long Road Home for 06 but I know for a fact it was the second story I wrote right after Mizpah so it's more like 2001 or 2002. So This one, said 2003 but i'm thinking probably 2002. Same with Protect and Serve. I clearly was writing The Apartment and that one at the same time but it says  The Apartment was published in 2003 where the first chapter of Protect and Serve was 2004. It's all messed up. So, i'm just going to say it was a long time ago! lmao

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »

I did figure out the publish dates are all a bit off for these older stories. I think the dates are when I transferred them onto AC but not when I actually wrote them. I think they are all older than they are. I figured that out when I saw Long Road Home for 06 but I know for a fact it was the second story I wrote right after Mizpah so it's more like 2001 or 2002. So This one, said 2003 but i'm thinking probably 2002. Same with Protect and Serve. I clearly was writing The Apartment and that one at the same time but it says  The Apartment was published in 2003 where the first chapter of Protect and Serve was 2004. It's all messed up. So, i'm just going to say it was a long time ago! lmao

LOL yeah that and Protect and Serve were around the same time just cause of the author's notes at the end of the chapters. 2003 was when we had to switch servers and transfer stories over though so that's why they're all out of order lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »

I forgot about the server thing! LOL Duh!! Makes sense then.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 08:56:24 AM »

LOL awww. Yeah I remember that vividly. Those were the days of the lightening layout lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »

I still use the lightning layout or the generic old one. I use the generic old one on this too lol

Ellebeth

• Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »

OK, I went ahead and did this one for my first-ever story. This is for dreamalittlebi gger, who said my first few stories back in the day couldn't be as bad as I said they were. Try me. :)

Name of story: One Week
Year you wrote it: 1999
Summary: (You can use the one from the site or make a new one up now):
Stepsisters from California go to Hawaii on vacation and find themselves staying in the same hotel as the Backstreet Boys. Brian saves one of the girls from drowning while she’s learning how to surf, and they have a thing going on. The other one hooks up with Nick. The whole thing turns out to be a dream. (Mostly because I decided I was over writing fanfiction, abandoned it for more than a year and didn’t know how to end it.)
Main Character: Natalie (narrator), Brian

God, no. They were one-note idiots. Natalie was exactly what I wanted to be in college when I was a freshman in high school, and Michelle was basically a slightly more likable version of the ditzy girls I hated at that age. Natalie had an aircraft carrier-sized chip on her shoulder about being hurt by an old boyfriend, a completely foreign concept to me since I was two years away from having anything remotely resembling a boyfriend. And I had absolutely no concept of what the guys were like.

It was consistent insofar as there weren’t any gaping plot holes. It was just as thin as cheap toilet paper. And the end was shite.

PFFFFT. There might have been three chapters that WEREN’T filler.

Not riddled with typos. Dialogue is basically readable. Those were hard attributes to come by when I was reading/writing fanfiction back in the day. (Apparently, I was running with the wrong fanfiction crowd.)

5) Did you find any major problems or inconsistencie s?
Oh, where to start? The whole story is totally implausible. Why would the guys all be in Hawaii together, minus both girlfriends AND entourage? Brian was engaged by the time I started writing this, and I actually had absolutely no idea – and furthermore, had he been single, why would he have been so entranced by a 19-year-old? Nick would probably go to jail for hooking up with Michelle. Why would the group go to an 18-and-up club when it’s apparent only the 17-year-old has a fake ID? A 19-year-old couldn’t even legally rent a car or check into a hotel, especially one as fancy as the one where they were staying. Yes, dumb 19-year-old protagonist, missing a few days of college classes WILL kill you. Hitting your head on your surfboard will not knock you out – I know, because I’ve done it – and hot Hawaiian surfer guys will not even notice you exist, and there will not be a hunky guy there to save you if you do mess your shit up. Nobody’s, but NOBODY’S pickup lines are as bad as the guys’ are in this story. (I think I borrowed half of them from my then-crush, a dreamy exchange student with a tenuous grasp of English.) You would probably get arrested for sleeping on the beach, unless your hotel has a private beach, and theirs isn’t even on the beach. I went to Hawaii with my family shortly before I started writing this (and I was a huge fan of The Real World: Hawaii, which was on not long before we went), and it’s very obvious to me that I wrote the story basically as an excuse to set a story there. Unfortunately, I didn’t describe Hawaii nearly well enough to make it the character it obviously was.

I apparently named the protagonists’ dad/stepdad after Tom Hanks’ character in You’ve Got Mail (at that time one of my favorite movies), and I’m not sure whether I did that consciously. Also, man, I retained a lot of useless knowledge about Hawaii in order to write this story.

8) Did your opnion change from you wrote it originally?
Yes. I thought it was really great then, and I got a lot of positive feedback on it. Now I can hardly stand to look at it.

If you want to feel like a clueless tourist in Hawaii, sure.

Final thoughts and comments about it: (If you think everyoe else should give it a chance or not etc...)
If you’re really curious, Google “KTBSPA Fiction.”
Also, fun fact, I finished my first-ever piece of fanfiction on that Hawaii trip – a very early version of “The Boys on the Bus.” Sometimes I think I should have published that first & waited on “One Week,” but then, among other consequences, you wouldn’t have this wonderfully ranty self-evaluation.

Dreamalittlebigger

• Fledgling
  • Amanda
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »

If you’re really curious, Google “KTBSPA Fiction.”

OMG. I'm reading One Week now (only because I'm really curious about the "one-note idiots" you had as characters, as you say) but I'm laughing because my story (Secrets) was hosted on your site?? (My pen name was Carla back in the day) Dude. Small world.

Also, best find ever! I am totally dying at work, laughing so hard. :) (At the coincidence, not your story :) )
Pages: 1 [2] 3