Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: What's your co-writing style?  (Read 2071 times)

Lindsee

• Fledgling
What's your co-writing style?
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »

I'm just curious but what is everyone's style who co-writes with someone? With me I like brain storming in between talking with them through IMs and e-mails and I share the ideas I get throughout the day.  I also like writing with them through IMs like I write one paragraph then they write the next and so on. It's such a cool process since you have no idea what might come up.

I guess since we have that feature on so many of the Internet services providers it should be used like that maybe it's me who thinks that. I mean if me and someone are co-writing it's a cool way to interact where it seems we both are right there in the room collaborating. LOL oh God I kind of am starting to sound like one of the guys as they talk about the song writing process can't you tell I just woke up if I sound cheesy. But I figured I'd ask that question for the heck of it see what everyone says.

Maybe can create a co-writer's club or section of the page to that idea just hit me if we already did not do anything that similar before I might get a better idea as I wake up more or maybe during work that's where I get my best ideas it seems.

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
Re: What's your co-writing style?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »

A co-writers club sounds cool.How would that work?

Lindsee

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »

I guess we can create a section for anyone who wants to co-write post up some story ideas or plots and whoever likes them could work with that particular author. I think tonight alone at work I came up with like 10 good story plots so I guess I am ready and willing.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »

Just use this thread for that :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »

It's nice to see more people who are into co-writing on here.  I enjoy co-writing, as long it's with someone who is equally committed and on the same wavelength as me, writing and idea-wise.  It's not always easy to find the perfect collab partner.

As far as co-writing style, I like to chat with my co-writers on IM to make a plan.  We brainstorm ideas and put together an outline for how they go together.  I'm not a fan of just winging it, waiting to see what the other person comes up with and then picking up where they left off.  There's certainly a challenge in that, and the spontaneity can be fun, but in my experience, it leads to more writer's block, plot holes, and a story full of twists and turns that don't always make the most sense.  With a serious story, I like to plan it out in advance and make sure we're both on the same page as to where it's going.

I've written different collaborations different ways, but usually, we're each responsible for certain chapters or parts - I've never done it where we alternate paragraphs; I find it flows better if one person at least writes a whole scene.  Some stories we've just alternated chapters, and others, we're each responsible for certain characters and write the scenes about those people.  With my big collaborations, like 00Carter and Code Blue, we outline all the scenes in each "episode" together, and then everyone goes back and claims which scenes they want to write.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling