Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47155 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Question of the day part 7
« on: September 08, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »

I figured i'd just start a new thread since we were over 500 posts in the old one.

Here's the question:

Is there any instance when you go back and look at something you've read or written where you tend to be surprised at how good or bad it actually was in retrospect? Meaning the first time you read it, you thought it sucked but on the second reread, suddenly you found it awesome or vice versa?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »

aww, where is everybody? Why is no one answering my question? *sad Mare* :(

People come, people go and no one is answering my question. Where is my tie wearing, talking hedgehog when I need him? He'd answer my question! Or at the very least give me drugs to make me feel better.

And you know, the answers don't always have to be BSB related. For those of you silly enough to read and write more than just BSB lol :P

Here's another question:

If you did a BSB or any other group crossover and had to use a TV show, which one would you use and why? How would you fit the guys into it?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »

Has anyone else seen that talking hedgehog commercial? I have only seen it once and now i'm starting to think it was all in my head!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »

I didn't answer because I have already answered first question within one of the other questions! LOL

But when I re-read Left and Leaving I was really surprised at how good it was. Not the plot, but the actual writing. I didn't think I could write like that!

I don't know if it counts as a true crossover, but I stuck Nick into the Evangelion world as the main character and played with the setting a lot so that Nick's the one who has to save the world from the angels that have come back to reclaim it. I outlined the whole thing I just need to write it.

I also started a Sailor Moon/BSB crossover last year because obviously those are my two big loves but it was kind of impossible to fit them together. I went with having Nick date this girl who finds out about her past life where she's was the princess (and got rid of all the actual Sailor Moon monster fighting stuff) and Nick gets brainwashed and basically ends up being her enemy LOL. I am something like five chapters in... need to finish it.

Yup lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »

Is there any instance when you go back and look at something you've read or written where you tend to be surprised at how good or bad it actually was in retrospect? Meaning the first time you read it, you thought it sucked but on the second reread, suddenly you found it awesome or vice versa?

Some of my favorite stories are ones that took me two tries to get into.  Cover Me With Dreams and Between the Lines are the two examples that come to mind.  They both had come highly recommended, but because they are both genres that are not my favorite thing and had elements that turned me off, I didn't get very far on either of them the first time I tried to read them.  It wasn't that I thought they sucked; I just didn't get sucked in until I forced myself to read farther the second time.  There came a point with each of them when I did get sucked in, and now they are two of my favorite fanfics of all time.

At the same time, there are also stories I really liked early in my fanfic-reading days that I reread years later and didn't have the same reaction to.  If I read them for the first time now, I probably wouldn't add them to my favorites list.  My taste in stories hasn't really changed, but my tolerance for poor writing has thinned.

With my own stories, I find that while I usually (hopefully) like them while I'm writing them and immediately after finishing them, that feeling only lasts a certain number of years, before I move on to better things and realize the old ones pale in comparison.  On the rare occasion I reread something I wrote more than a few years ago and think, "Wow, this isn't that bad," it comes as a pleasant surprise.  Most of it is pretty bad LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »

If you did a BSB or any other group crossover and had to use a TV show, which one would you use and why? How would you fit the guys into it?

I already started a thread about this idea, but I have one for an ER crossover.  ER is my favorite TV show of all time, and even though I'd never read or written fanfic for that fandom before, I love the characters and love the medical drama enough to think I could pull it off as  a crossover.  My idea is basically to involve the guys in a serious accident while they're touring in Chicago so that the ER staff would have to treat them.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:40:40 PM »

I'd love to do a Star Wars/BSB crossover or Sailor Moon one. I really am leaning more towards star wars but I don't think I could do it, it's a lot of stuff and coming up with a idea...it's daunting lol. I love sci fi and I wish more would delve into that genre.

PS: steph I want to read this sailor moon one ;)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »

I figured i'd just start a new thread since we were over 500 posts in the old one.

Here's the question:

I usually don't tend to reread things once i've read it once but when I had my FFF group and featured some of the stories that I loved, I remember on the second skim through thinking that most of them weren't as great as I  remembered them. But I still loved them, if nothing else for nostalgia's sake. I have never felt the opposite way though because I've never had the desire to read something I already didn't think I liked lol

Writing wise, Protect and Serve surprised me. When I wrote it, I did think it was okay but not the best by any means. I just finished reading it this morning and I can honestly say, I was really impressed by me lmao

Now I have a new answer to that if you could ask anyone to read any of your stories which one would it be question. I mean, there is definitely room to grow, but as far as the overall flow and plot of the story I was more than pleased. Plus I had forgotten the whole thing was pretty much told from Kevin's POV and Howie had a pretty significant role in it as well, so yeah. Tooting my own horn for this one! I'm sure Howie would approve as well!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »

Aw sorry Mare, I would've replied if I'd been around this weekend and not drinking stupid amounts of alcohol, lol.

I don't tend to re-read things, so I have no idea how I'd react if I read stories again.  Maybe I should try it.

As for crossovers, I've done a BSB/Supernatural one where the Winchester brothers had to save Nick and AJ from dying from a supernatural video game.  

If I had to write another TV show into a crossover, I think I'd choose something like Falling Skies as I'd love to see how the boys would deal with an alien invasion :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »

I already started a thread about this idea, but I have one for an ER crossover.  ER is my favorite TV show of all time, and even though I'd never read or written fanfic for that fandom before, I love the characters and love the medical drama enough to think I could pull it off as  a crossover.  My idea is basically to involve the guys in a serious accident while they're touring in Chicago so that the ER staff would have to treat them.

When you first mentioned this crossover I remember being hesitant about wanting to read it because I thought you were going to make it an AU and have the guys be doctors but the way you described it, I would totally read it! I love this idea and I hope you do it!! (minus killing any of them and after you finish GR lmao)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »

I already started a thread about this idea, but I have one for an ER crossover.  ER is my favorite TV show of all time, and even though I'd never read or written fanfic for that fandom before, I love the characters and love the medical drama enough to think I could pull it off as  a crossover.  My idea is basically to involve the guys in a serious accident while they're touring in Chicago so that the ER staff would have to treat them.

I would love to read that, even though I've never seen ER, I love all your other medical dramas :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »

The only two shows I could see myself doing a semi decent crossover would be either BSB/Supernatural or BSB/Numb3rs. I know they won't happen but if they did, the SN one would be them as a group but maybe only two of them (perhaps Nick and AJ) and it would be told when they were younger and go and get themselves stuck in a haunted house when my short story about the haunted house left off and of course it would be Sam and Dean to the rescue!

The Numb3rs one I would do with Nick as the younger brother to the Epps boys and have there be some kind of home invasion.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 12:20:16 PM »

Thanks, Mare and Steph!  Oh no, already been there/done that with the doctor AU.  It wouldn't be AU.  I'd love to write this sometime when I have more of a solid idea and am in the mood for another medical drama.  Not anytime soon, though, cause I have other stories I want/need to finish first LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 12:20:25 PM »

Aw sorry Mare, I would've replied if I'd been around this weekend and not drinking stupid amounts of alcohol, lol.

I don't tend to re-read things, so I have no idea how I'd react if I read stories again.  Maybe I should try it.

As for crossovers, I've done a BSB/Supernatural one where the Winchester brothers had to save Nick and AJ from dying from a supernatural video game.  

If I had to write another TV show into a crossover, I think I'd choose something like Falling Skies as I'd love to see how the boys would deal with an alien invasion :)

Ooh, I'd love to see a Falling Skies crossover. I bet you would be able to do that one justice!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »

I would love to read your Supernatural one Mare, if you ever decide to write it :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19