Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47163 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2012, 03:08:12 AM »

One of my flaws is biting off more than I can chew too.  Like with Maybe Tomorrow.  I started off really eager, but now I'm doubting myself and wondering why I ever thought I could write an AU world war two story and make it seem realistic.  I'm slow at posting, and I don't like that.  I will finish it though because once I start something, I don't give up.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »

I think we all doubt ourselves way too much!

What is the one thing you feel like you have greatly improved on since you started writing?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53:41 AM »

I think I've gotten a lot better about follow through. I now won't post a story unless I've committed myself to finishing it no matter what instead of just on a whim. I also think my writing in general has grown in leaps and bounds. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »

I have gotten a lot better at description and character development.  I do more showing than telling now, and my characters are more well-rounded and believable.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »

BTW Julie, I've always thought you had plenty of originality. You've come up with plenty of epically creative ideas :).
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »

I think my biggest flaw is inconsistency in my writing.  As I've read back over my stories, I notice that one chapter will be awesome, and the next pretty lackluster.  I think this  is often perpetuated by another flaw-- Posting new chapters as soon as I finish writing.  If i would stew over my writing a little longer and make more edits/revisions, it would probably be a lot better.  But, what can I say?  I' m a review whore.  I get way too excited to post and see what the response is going to be.  I also think my mood tends to influence my writing a lot, which contributes to the inconsistency. As far as what I think I've improved on the most... Well, I still need a lot of improvement :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:16:01 PM by emilo »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »

BTW Julie, I've always thought you had plenty of originality. You've come up with plenty of epically creative ideas :).

Aww, well thanks! :)  Maybe it's just cause I know how my mind works and where they come from that they don't seem that creative or original to me.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »

I think my biggest flaw is inconsistency in my writing.  As I've read back over my stories, I notice that one chapter will be awesome, and the next pretty lackluster.  I think this  is often perpetuated by another flaw-- Posting new chapters as soon as I finish writing.  If i would stew over my writing a little longer and make more edits/revisions, it would probably be a lot better.  But, what can I say?  I' m a review whore.  I get way too excited to post and see what the response is going to be.  I also think my mood tends to influence my writing a lot, which contributes to the inconsistency. As far as what I think I've improved on the most... Well, I still need a lot of improvement :)

I notice this with my writing too.  I think part of it is that sometimes I'm just really "on" as a writer - the words just pour out of me and flow together so well - and sometimes I'm "off" and every sentence is a struggle.  If I force myself to write when the words just aren't coming, I'm usually not happy with the result.  Sometimes I have to do a little forcing to get myself over a hurdle, but sometimes I just have to wait until inspiration strikes.  I think mood does have a lot to do with it.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2012, 06:54:29 PM »

I tend to doubt myself too much. One thing I've improved upon is my confidence but sometimes it can be lacking. In the past three years that has changed a lot but there are moments when I read stuff people are saying and although it is not necessarily about me, it gets into my head and tries messing with my writing. When I go to write I try to clear my mind of that doubt and just go with it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »

^ That's a good lead in to my next question. Do you take things personally when people insult fanfic or put down fanfic writing in general? Do you tend to be overly sensitive when it comes to your own writing and get easily offended if someone says something negative or perhaps gives someone else's story more attention than yours?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2012, 07:29:30 PM »

Not really. Like I said my mind tries to mess with me but I know it wasn't anything personal. I try not to let it get to me, because I know not everyone will like what I'm writing.

I just had a convo about this on the phone with someone. I understand not everyone reads or likes fanfiction but I don't hold that against them.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »

I don't get offended when someone insults fanfic in general.  I know it's a weird hobby, and those who aren't into it won't get it.  Their loss.  But that's why I don't even tell most people in my real life that I do this - because I know they won't understand.  It's a hobby best shared with other people who enjoy it.

I am more sensitive about people insulting or criticizing my stories specifically, but not to the point that I would ever let it ruin my confidence or turn me off of writing.  I just have to remind myself of how many people DO like my stories and understand that even within the fandom, not everyone is going to want to read everything I write, just like I don't want to read every fanfic I come across.  To each their own; I'm not shooting for universal approval because that's an impossible goal.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »

My greatest fanfic flaw - I sometimes get in a rush to finish a project and so the endings are never what I want them to be.  Heck, endings in general are my greatest flaw.  But I say that I tend to rush to the end.

My greatest improvement - looking back at some of my older fics they didn't have as much description as they could have.  One chapter would have like 4 people's points of view instead of expanding each point of view into their own chapter.   I think I've improved on description and giving more "meat" to a story.

Insults to fanfic -  I tend to not get insulted if someone insults fanfic as a generalization I roll my eyes because how could they know what the fanfic world was like they are outsiders. :)  My own stories I've improved at taking constructive criticism but have never received a flat out insult to one of my own.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »

What is the one thing you feel like you have greatly improved on since you started writing?

I think I add more meat to the stories now, compared to the first few I wrote which were over in just a couple of chapters.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2012, 12:15:13 PM »

^ That's a good lead in to my next question. Do you take things personally when people insult fanfic or put down fanfic writing in general? Do you tend to be overly sensitive when it comes to your own writing and get easily offended if someone says something negative or perhaps gives someone else's story more attention than yours?

If people slag off fanfic in general, I don't let it bother me.  I know that not everyone understands fanfic, and some people might think we're a bunch of weirdos for reading/writing it, lol.  I kind of like that I've got something that none of my friends know about.

If someone else's story got more attention than mine, I wouldn't mind at all.  I know that we all like different things and what I write might not appeal to everyone.  I don't expect anything when I post a story, so to know someone likes it is great!

If someone were to say "your story is absolute crap Steph!" or something like that, then I probably would get a bit offended.  But if the comments were actually about things I'd done wrong, and put to me in a friendly way, then I'm sure I'd be fine with that.  Whatever though, I would still write...if I ever get my mojo back!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]