Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Why can't the stars go away?  (Read 40935 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Why can't the stars go away?
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2007, 06:41:31 PM »

If you check back in a week, you might be surprised. ;)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »

Not necessarily... I find that with short stories less people review and less people rate them, but that could just be me.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2007, 09:22:05 PM »

I think it really just depends on the person lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2007, 11:50:28 PM »

Not necessarily... I find that with short stories less people review and less people rate them, but that could just be me.

LOL well I had short story, and it has maybe 6 reviews and someone lowered the stars on it. Without telling me why. "I Remember", but you're right it's less common for it to happen to short one shots. My "Why I Hate Justin Timberlake" (written in Nick's POV lol) was left alone though.

Yes, the most annoying is when you have good reviews and someone gets sneaky and gives you a low rating to bring the stars down.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2007, 11:58:46 PM »

LOL well I had short story, and it has maybe 6 reviews and someone lowered the stars on it. Without telling me why. "I Remember", but you're right it's less common for it to happen to short one shots. My "Why I Hate Justin Timberlake" (written in Nick's POV lol) was left alone though.

Yes, the most annoying is when you have good reviews and someone gets sneaky and gives you a low rating to bring the stars down.

Yup, it's about the person really if it's a regular reader know matter what the story you're going to get a lower count. lol and for your short it's one of those people lol

I wonder if I started a poll about this subject, if people would answer honestly or not. You know, if I did a do you lower people's star counts if you don't enjoy a story poll lol if i'm bored enough tomorrow I just might. Why not, i'm already obssesing over it anyway. Might as well make it a full blown over the top thing. lmao
'
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2007, 10:46:40 PM »

Lmao! I'd answer honestly. And truth be told, I think I only ever lowered someone's stars, like, twice. The rest of the time I just leave it at 10. Now though, if I didn't like what I read, I don't review. *shrugs* Or I just stop reading halyway through. I know I hate low stars, & don't wanna do it to someone else, knowing justh ow much *I* hate it.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2007, 09:56:05 PM »

^ lol I know the feeling.

I hate it, i'm thinking of posting on the main site in the news section and saying that if someon asks who lowered their star count I will tell them so dont' do it unless you plan on explaining why! but then they will most likely justy do it without leaving a review.

The stars are there for a purpose though. I could like a chapter, but still find it flawed and only give it a 9/10. Not everyone can have a perfect 10/10 every time just because they want all the stars, but don't want the criticism.

I've had my stars lowered a fair few times because of things people didn't like in the chapter, or where the plot was going and I just took it as something to work on. Not every book and movie gets a perfect score, so why should every chapter? *shrugs* That's just me though.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2007, 10:05:46 PM »

^ NO I do agree with that, but there are people who purposely lower stars just to lower them. Offer no explanation and use it as a safe form of flaming. I don't mind when it comes with an explaination but you are allowed to rate without reviewing and there were people who were taking advantage of that or saying Great job but then giving them a 5 or 6. In my mind that's a safe flame lol

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2007, 10:57:11 PM »

It's the lack of explanation that bothers me. If I were given lower stars and told why, it would be totally fine with me.

But I hardly get any reviews at all... And none of them are constructive criticism... That's why.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2007, 11:00:14 PM »

Yeah, I agree with everyone - I totally see the point of having a rating system, but it is annoying when people lower the stars without any kind of explanation or, worse, lower them after leaving a completely glowing review.

On fanfics.org, you rate a story based on five areas:  writing style, theme, enjoyment, faithfulness to genre, and evaluation.  I'm not sure those are the five areas I would choose for rating cause some of them are sort of vague LOL, but I like the principle of it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2007, 11:15:06 PM »

Yeah, I agree with everyone - I totally see the point of having a rating system, but it is annoying when people lower the stars without any kind of explanation or, worse, lower them after leaving a completely glowing review.

On fanfics.org, you rate a story based on five areas:  writing style, theme, enjoyment, faithfulness to genre, and evaluation.  I'm not sure those are the five areas I would choose for rating cause some of them are sort of vague LOL, but I like the principle of it.

oh yes, me too. I think that's a great idea and tells you the person leaving the rating really put thought into it. Like I said, I don't think it's that people mind when stars are lowered. I know I don't if someone explains what they had a problem with but when you say WOW that was the BEST chapter I have ever read!! and then they give you a three lmao that tells you something is wrong there and in that case, I do think it's fair to let people know. lol

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2007, 11:18:40 PM »

I just think everyone is too afraid to hurt people's feelings or something....

Or if they're reviewing an author everyone has recommended to them, maybe they think that author will smite the Gods of fanfiction on them or something...
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2007, 11:25:01 PM »

I just think everyone is too afraid to hurt people's feelings or something....

Or if they're reviewing an author everyone has recommended to them, maybe they think that author will smite the Gods of fanfiction on them or something...

I would say that they shouldn't be leaving a review then lol

If you really don't like what you're reading, then stop. I agree, I think it's hard for people to leave honest criticism because I mean we've seen on this board alone what can happen lol It's hard to tell someone "you know, I didn't really like that chapter. It didn't stand up to the rest because..." It takes guts to say that, that's why I do think what Julie had mentioned is a great idea. It kind of makes it easier for people to give honest opinions without maybe coming across overly harsh but not flat out lying to their faces either lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2007, 11:29:38 PM »

Yeah, I wish we could set something like that up on AC, but I'm not sure if the script allows it.  I think it would help make the rating system more legit though.

The other alternative is setting up one of those services where you can submit your story for an honest, critical rating and review, like those sites that used to be around.  I did that once, and it was really interesting to have every aspect of my story rated and critiqued.  You don't really get that in regular feedback and reviews.  If a few knowledgable and experienced writers and readers had the time to dedicate to reviewing stories, it might be a nice addition to AC.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »

I think it would be good too. The stars say so little... and cause the crazy amongst us to rip out our hair figuring out why...

But, maybe they're all doing it to get others to read their stuff....

All of our opinions on things might not be the norm or something...

I like that idea also. Having people to give you a well rounded critique would be a great thing.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15