Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Why can't the stars go away?  (Read 40929 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: Why can't the stars go away?
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »

aww, Dee!  :-* I'm your fan base and I'm not harsh. I need to finish your story *pokes myself* I just always need a good amount of time to sit down to your story cause I'm a slow reader and your chapters are so long. Wonderful, but long. It's been a challenge to read the featured story each month as it is, so I'm slacking on reading all other stories. *pokes myself again*
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2007, 09:10:32 PM »

I was also one of those people who checked a gabillion times to see if Swollen was updated and I do agree with what everyone said. I tend to ignore mechanics when I read, unless i'm proofing for people and I have stopped doing that. When I critque it is mainly plot and storyline. I take into account a few things when I read a story and one of them is the age of the writer and if English is their first language or not.

It might not be fair to pigeon hole with age but if you are 16 and this is your first fic, i'm going to ignore a lot of the grammar errors and plot problems because they are young and it's their first. If you are 30 and this is your 40th story, it's a little different.

A good story is a good story though, so if it's lacking on grammar and has a lot of weird things in it I can easily overlook that if it's a great story that draws me in.

And popularity is a weird thing. I know a lot of people still associate me with Mizpah and to date I really do think that was my most popular story but it's just a huge pile of flaming pooh as far as i'm concerned lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »

aww, Dee!  :-* I'm your fan base and I'm not harsh. I need to finish your story *pokes myself* I just always need a good amount of time to sit down to your story cause I'm a slow reader and your chapters are so long. Wonderful, but long. It's been a challenge to read the featured story each month as it is, so I'm slacking on reading all other stories. *pokes myself again*

No worries; it's far from done anyway, so... Take your time. :)

And I meant the Backstreet fan base in general, not my readership. ;) Because the readers I've heard from are basically amazing. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2007, 08:39:23 AM »

I was also one of those people who checked a gabillion times to see if Swollen was updated and I do agree with what everyone said. I tend to ignore mechanics when I read, unless i'm proofing for people and I have stopped doing that. When I critque it is mainly plot and storyline. I take into account a few things when I read a story and one of them is the age of the writer and if English is their first language or not.

I don't really pay as much attention to spelling, grammar, etc when the rest of the story makes up for it. BUT when the plot is horribly cliched, or the writer has absolutely no idea what the story is even about and is just writing random chapters where things just "happen" and the actual writing is bad it's hard to not notice.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »

^ yup! lol That's usually when I stop.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #215 on: June 30, 2007, 01:27:56 PM »

Heya guys--so I'm admittedly so far behind in posts that I'm skimming and not reading teh 16 pages of comments in this thread (sorry, still having some trouble reading a lot after my "incident"); what's the concensus--do ya'll want the stars to go away, cuz I can do that. Just let me know what you want and I'm happy to oblige!

--Ash

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2007, 02:06:31 PM »

Heya guys--so I'm admittedly so far behind in posts that I'm skimming and not reading teh 16 pages of comments in this thread (sorry, still having some trouble reading a lot after my "incident"); what's the concensus--do ya'll want the stars to go away, cuz I can do that. Just let me know what you want and I'm happy to oblige!

--Ash

I think that the concern is mostly people being able to rate without reviewing. A lot of people are using anonymous star ratings as a way of flaming authors they don't like personally.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #217 on: June 30, 2007, 07:17:01 PM »

--Ash

I think until we get a better system maybe the stars should go away lol just my opinion though.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #218 on: June 30, 2007, 07:56:48 PM »

Yeah, especially if we're going to have this review site for AC, I think the stars could go away.  People who really want to find high-rated stories could look on the review site.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #219 on: July 01, 2007, 10:32:38 PM »

The stars have gone away lol :)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #220 on: July 01, 2007, 10:59:58 PM »

I saw. :)

Chaos is so nice catering to our whims.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]