Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: FS for November: Have a Little Faith in Me by kentuckychickrk  (Read 2924 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for November: Have a Little Faith in Me by kentuckychickrk
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »

Hello and Happy November!

This month we are going to feature Have a Little Faith in Me. Usually the featured author picks the story but I haven't heard back from Rachel so, since someone recommended this one, I went with it. Not sure if there will be any participation or not. I guess it depends on if Rachel's happens to pop in. If you've read this story and would like to comment, feel free to drop in and say something.

Happy reading!!

Here is the link to the story!

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10163

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:37:21 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: FS for November: Have a Little Faith in Me by kentuckychickrk
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »

I hope Rachel comes back to discuss!  I haven't read this one yet, but I've enjoyed her other dramas.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »

I think I've read this, but not sure. I'll have to have a look and see :)

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:58:49 AM »

I hope Rachel will be able to visit the site this month, I would love to hear her answers to Mare's questions. I love this story... it's a tearjerker.
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:22:57 PM »

Doh -- I have been absent from the boards for a while!  Thank you for choosing my story, and for whoever recommended it for doing so!  Sorry I missed most of the month!!  I'm definitely planning on continuing it in the near future.  I've been working on completing my Master's Degree so it's been a crazy semester.

Thank you again!!
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »

PS -- now that I know I'm up, I'll be sure to check back, so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask!  This is a story that is very special to me!
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »

Hi Rachel!

I'm glad you finally got a chance to check out the forum. :)

I guess the next logical question for you would be why is this story so special to you?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »

Hey Mare, thanks!

The inspiration for this story came from a blog I follow about a family who is getting ready to adopt their third child through the website/organization Reece's Rainbow  http://reecesrainbow.org/

I also personally know a family who has adopted a child (not through Reece's Rainbow), but from Europe who has Down Syndrome and as an individual who has worked with children with Down Syndrome and has seen how amazing and wonderful these children can be and how, despite their disability they have the ABILITY to learn, grow and function just like all of the rest of us, it's heartbreaking to realize that other countries can't see this and that because of this children with Down Syndrome in other countries are stuck in orphanages where they receive little care and human contact, no love and eventually if not adopted are sent to homes that are more like prisons.  I knew little about this until hearing the story of my family friend's adoption and since then I've donated towards several families' adoption funds.

I personally would adopt a child through Reece's Rainbow or another organization if I had the means to support a child (which I currently don't), but in the future could see myself doing so. 
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 03:12:21 AM »

The scenes revolving around Jackson's birth until his death were perfectly written. I was crying while reading those scenes, especially the tweet Nick sent to inform the fans about Jackson's death. Was it hard to write those scenes? Were you just imagining the situation and emotions or have you seen a couple in real life go through that heartbreaking situation?
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »

Those were by far the most difficult chapters to write.  I knew I wanted a reasoning for Nick and Jenna to adopt and wanted it to be more than that they just couldn't have children.  Then *spoiler alert* I wanted a reason that they would choose a child with Down Syndrome and having lost a baby with Down Syndrome just seemed to be the right way to go.  I do not, thankfully, know anyone personally who has lost a baby and I hope never to have to, so imagination was the biggest part.  Some of the emotions were pulled from just life experiences with death and others were just what I thought I might feel and trying to put myself in that position, which was neither fun or even truly possible because that's no position I'd ever want to be in.  So I simply hoped I'd do it justice and did the best I could.  I'm glad you felt they turned out well.  Thank you for reading!
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album