Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Question of the day part 8  (Read 47854 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day part 8
« Reply #270 on: May 23, 2013, 05:58:29 AM »

I don't make Nick as dumb and whiny as I used to. He's pretty smart. I used to make Kevin really mean and now,I notice he's gotten nicer. I've also started including Howie more.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #271 on: June 07, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »

How do you go about developing a story idea?

As I mentioned in the Stephen King thread on the Book Club board, I watched an interview with him on the Today show the other day where he was talking about how, for him, getting a story idea is like excavating a fossil - the idea is buried somewhere deep in his mind, and little by little, he uncovers each piece of it until the whole idea comes together.  I thought that was a cool analogy, but it's totally different from how I come up with stories.

I tend to be inspired by something else and develop my own idea around a similar premise.  I usually start with a general storyline or situation and develop the characters - I decide which Backstreet Boy will fit best and then work on any original characters I'll need.  Then I start researching and outlining, at which point I piece the plot together and fill in any gaps - hopefully.  The good ideas come together, but I don't feel like they were always there, just waiting to be uncovered.  I have to go hunting for them in all different places LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #272 on: June 08, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »

I think I've mentioned before that usually my ideas come to me late at night right before sleep or even in dreams. I rarely act upon them unless I can't get it out of mind in which case I usually see the plot unfold like a movie. I rarely know where the story will end up going in the middle when I actually do start the writing process but I always know how it's going to end. I am not one to outline. I'm more or a 'wing it' type person so I am usually as surprised by the twists and turns my stories take as the people are when they eventually read them. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #273 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »

I am like you in that I almost always know how the story's going to end.  Figuring out where to start is usually pretty easy too.  It's just getting from Point A to Point B - a.k.a. the middle - that's the hard part.  That is why I usually outline, because I need to plot out the journey and make sure it all flows together.  Guilty Roads is the first novel I've written in ten years without a solid outline to guide me, and I've had such a tough time with it!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »

Hmm, I'd say that I get a basic idea into my head, either from something I've read, seen or dreamt and then see what comes out when I write.  I never really plan what's going to happen, but I usually have an idea of how it will end and somehow get there eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]