Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Gestational surrogacy  (Read 4012 times)

Ellebeth

• Fledgling
Gestational surrogacy
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »

I'm noodling over a story involving a couple starting a family via gestational surrogate. Can anyone with more personal knowledge of this tell me a little more about the process? Specifically, a typical timeline for finding a surrogate & arranging for the woman to become pregnant, what advantages it's considered to have over adoption, what legal considerations there are, etc., as well as any other information I might find helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Gestational surrogacy
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »

I don't have any personal experience, but I did Google for you and found this article, which is one woman's experience with it.  I just skimmed through it, but it looks like it has a lot of information with a more personal feel than just reading the blurb on a fertility treatment center's website.  It also includes info on how long the process took. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/magazine/30Surrogate-t.html?pagewanted=all

I would suggest doing a search, not just for medical sites, but for blogs and message boards, which would give you a more personal, inside look at it.

Have you ever watched Guiliana and Bill on the Style network?  I've just watched random episodes here and there, but they used a gestational surrogate to have their son, and the last season or so covered that whole process.  Might provide some inspiration?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Ellebeth

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »

Thanks! I just really wasn't sure where to start. I Googled gestational surrogacy and got some medical basics, but beyond that... The Times story is ridiculously helpful, though. THANK YOU!

I do have an acquaintance who used a surrogate to have twins, but I'm not comfortable approaching her for input on this story. Mostly because she will probably want to read it, and then my secret identity will be revealed! :) Also because her life circumstances were quite a bit different from my characters'. The Times story's author & her husband are in a somewhat more similar place.

This is great! Thanks again! I'm so excited about this story!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »

No problem!  And I know what you mean about asking people in real life LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling