Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!  (Read 54787 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2013, 06:13:31 AM »

Hey everyone!

It's my usual Saturday check in! Now that we are way into this challenge, it's time to start issuing goals etc...

I am constantly updating the first post with where everyone is in terms of reading and the surveys that have been completed. This gives the writers an idea of where you are in terms of reading their stuff. Keep in mind, I can only gauge where you are reading-wise, by the reviews you leave so if it says you are on chapter 5 but you are really on chapter 12, it means you aren't leaving reviews which in my eyes is even worse than not reading it to begin with!

Ritz said she'll start reading this week since she's been gone this past month. Welcome back! :)

That leaves only you, Erika. Time to get started

So here is everyone's first goal - which most of you have already achieved! (Chris, Tracy, Steph, Emily and Mare have already hit goal one! Gold stars for us! lol)

By next Saturday everyone should have read at least 10 chapters of their stories (all 10 on one story or a combination of both, depends on how you are approaching this challenge)

10 chapters should only seems like a lot if you haven't started yet lol

Also remember to fill out the appropriate surveys when you hit those points!

I posted a fun reader/reviewer survey in the general section of the board. I was going to put it in here but I figured it would be a fun one for everyone to do, so feel free to go fill it out in there instead of in here!

Happy reading!! :)

Don't forget to occasionally comment in here and ask any questions you feel like you need to ask!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:18:27 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Forever by Emily

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?
Yes, I only found the very first chapter confusing, after that everything has made perfect sense to me.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?
I would have to say Kevin because of his layered personality. You never truly know what he's thinking and that drives Emily especially, a bit crazy. Their interactions are fun to watch and of course whenever he's with the boys it's instant love for me!

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)
I would think so, but there is no current end so not sure if even Emily knows yet lol

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?
I think her summary is pretty spot on.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?
Nope, not as of yet.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.
I probably would have not even started it, mainly because it's not the type of story I would want to read. I generally hate female based narrative for a BSB fic. That being said, if I did click and read, it would have held my interest because of the great writing for a few chapters, but I admit once we got to those Nsync chapters with no BSB in sight, I would have finally stopped.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)
Nope, that's the perks of reading a story by a member of the grammar police! lol

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
Nothing at the moment.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »

Thanks for your feedback, Mare!  I appreciate your honesty, and I'm glad you're able to find parts you enjoy, even though this isn't at all the type of story you like to read. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2013, 04:55:22 PM »

You're welcome! :)

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2013, 01:11:39 PM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: Save a prayer

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?

I don't know if you would call it a challenge but for me, it was reading the other four guys without Kevin in the story.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?

I looked forward to it a lot.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? My favorite part was when AJ was almost eaten by a snake.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? yeah

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? I didn't have one.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? Oh yeah,I hope steph  writes one.

7) Were you happy with the ending? yes,a happy ever after

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)All five NK getting killed! Wow,no didn't see it coming.I thought at least Jordan would make it out.

9) What was this stories biggest strength? The writing was great and the characters were how you would picture the backstreet boys.The story itself made it all come alive as you were reading.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? Just some small writing mess-ups in spots.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? I was reading stuff by steph before this challenge.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?

It was a great story and I love to read survivor/living off the wilderness stuff.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? I like it better this year, that way people can pick what to read.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? yes

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? nope

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story:

Person reading it: Carterkid (Chris)

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I just hoped that she'd like it.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Yes, she left feedback every few chapters.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? Just one chapter where I was asked about it and so I had to read to see which part it was.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? No, can't think of anything.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? I enjoyed it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »

Halfway there survey

Name of story:
 Finding Carter

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?  Yes

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?
AJ is my favorite because he resembles his real-life Backstreet Boy self the most and because he's mysterious.  He seemed like a typical drunk frat boy douche in the beginning, but now it seems like he might be a nicer guy than I thought.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)
I'm not sure how it will end, but I do think Nick and Brian are going to find out they're brothers.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?
I think the summary works.  It's a little vague, other than saying it's a story about Nick going to college, but I like vague.  I'm more likely to click on a story with a vague summary than one that gives away too many details.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?
If I'm right, Nick and Brian being related will be a good plot twist.  I was also surprised about the feud with Howie; I didn't expect Howie to be the villain of the story.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.
I actually did start reading this story when Tracy was writing it last summer and stopped mainly because I got busy with school starting and fell behind.  If I had gotten further in it, I might have continued reading because it's a cute, well-written story.  What might have made me stop is the fact that most of the characters don't really seem like the Backstreet Boys I know.  It's an AU, so they're not supposed to be "The Backstreet Boys," per se, but when I'm reading a fanfic, I want the guys to still seem like themselves, even if they're not a boyband, and I'm missing that in this story.  I think if it were original fiction and I weren't trying to picture the guys as these characters, I would have an easier time enjoying it.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)
No, not really.  Especially given that she writes on her phone, Tracy does a great job with spelling, punctuation, and all that.  I haven't noticed any major plot holes or anything like that either.  I was confused early on about the relationship between Nick, Kevin, and Brian, but now I see that that's an important part of the plot, so it makes sense to me now.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
What made you want to write a story about Nick going to college?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:00:33 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »

You guys are making me so happy! lol

carterkid

• Major Disruption
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2013, 08:14:30 PM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story:Us Against the World

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? yes

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? Brian cause he is my favorite bsb

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) yes

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? yes the summary fit

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? no big plot twist

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. I feel as if I would have stopped but not because the story was bad just cause I got bored reading

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) nope

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? nope

carterkid

• Major Disruption
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: Us Against the World

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? It was kind of drawn out and I got bored

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? after a while, It felt like homework

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? Ah, the whole thing?...lol it was only one chapter

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? yep

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? none

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? she was going to make that story chapter 1 of another story,if that happens than yes I would read it

7) Were you happy with the ending? yes

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) nope,it don't have one

9) What was this stories biggest strength? very touching

10) What was it's biggest weakness? drawn out

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? yes

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? I liked it this year

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? I just posted it tonight she hasn't seen it yet

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? nope

usako

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2013, 08:51:02 AM »

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts?
I was kinda of nervous because I didn't know if the story would be appreciated or not.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you?
Since it was only an one short, yes.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback?
Not yet. But I might to.   

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story?
Maybe I'm being dumb asking it but what does it mean "drawn out"?

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one?
Definetely a good one. 

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »

Thank you so much, Julie!!! I can totally understand the.stuff you said about AU. it can be hard when you're trying to picture the guys and they aren't themselves, but I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I wanted to write about Nick being in college cause I thought it was a interesting idea to explore if he wasn't a BSB what would he be doing now. I thought about him and liking drawing/art so that is why I chose animation :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »

^ I think the interest in drawing and animation really suits him!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »

Final survey

Name of story:
 Finding Carter

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?
For me, it was not just that this story was AU, but that I had a hard time picturing the Backstreet Boys as these characters.  Most of them were written differently from how they're portrayed in most stories and how they seem in real life.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?
Besides struggling with the characters, I did enjoy this story.  It was a quick, easy, entertaining read - once I got into it, I could read several chapters in a row with no problem.  It never felt like homework.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?
My favorite scene was when the frat sent Brian and Nick on a scavenger hunt around campus.  It was a good bonding moment for the two of them, and it was funny!  I especially enjoyed the boyband references Tracy included in that part; I always enjoy those little jokes in an AU.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?
Yeah, I still like AJ, even though he wasn't a major character.  He turned out to be a nice guy.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?
I have to go with Brian, only because I felt that his character was a cliche, being a farm boy from Kentucky who's obsessed with his goat and reads the Farmer's Almanac in his dorm room for fun.  Although I will admit the stuff with the goat was pretty cute, it's just a pet peeve of mine when I see Brian and his family portrayed this way because it insinuates that everyone from Kentucky is some kind of farm hick, which is not true.  Lexington is a city; Brian was not raised on a farm in real life.  This really isn't a rant about Tracy's story specifically; I've seen the same thing in other stories, and it annoys me every time! LOL  It's probably just because I'm only a state away and hate when people assume everyone in downstate Illinois is a farm hick too.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?
I don't know if I would; I don't think this story needs a sequel.  I'm not sure where else Tracy could take it that would be interesting to read.

7) Were you happy with the ending?
I liked the ending a lot.  It wrapped things up nicely and skipped forward several years to show how life turned out for Nick, completing the arc of his character's storyline.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)
*SPOILER WARNING*  There were a couple of big twists/surprises in this story, one being the fact that Nick and Brian are half brothers and the other being the car accident.  I did see both of them coming, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of seeing my predictions come true.

9) What was this stories biggest strength?
Finding Carter's biggest strength is exactly what it should be, and that's Nick as a character.  I struggled with Nick's character early on because he was such a different Nick from the confident, charismatic heartthrob that is Backstreet Boy Nick Carter.  He did have things in common with Nick, like his goofiness and childlike exuberance, but this Nick was socially awkward and, honestly, pretty strange, with his whole Disney obsession.  But once I got used to that, I could appreciate how those qualities made him a much more interesting and relatable character than the Nick, "The Chosen One," who can charm anyone with his little half-smile and is universally loved.  This Nick really had to work for acceptance!  As I told Tracy in a review, I wonder if her portrayal is more how Nick might have turned out in real life if he hadn't been turned into a teen idol.  He did admit to being teased in school when he was younger, and honestly, when you watch footage of him from before he was a Backstreet Boy, you can see why! LOL  I can see Finding Carter's Nick in spazzy little "Reach for a Book" Nick.

10) What was it's biggest weakness?
For me, the biggest weakness was also the characters, just not being close enough to their Backstreet Boy selves, but that is completely subjective and just based on my own preferences.  Even when I write AU, I try to keep the guys' personalities and interests and lives as similar to the real thing as I can without making them pop stars, and I like to see the same thing when I'm reading AU, but that is just me!

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?
I have read other stories by Tracy that I've enjoyed and will continue to do so!

I'm glad I picked this story!  It was good to finally read it in its entirety and see how it turned out.  Most of my feedback was reactions to the story because there really wasn't a lot to comment on or critique in terms of Tracy's writing.  Aside from some comma issues, it was well-written in terms of conventions, and it was structured well as a story.  I thought Tracy did a great job showing the journey Nick's character took through the story to find himself; he really changed from beginning to end, and as I told her in my final review, that's the mark of good storytelling!

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better?
Regardless of whether it's pairs or the way we did it this year, I just liked having some choice over what to read.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback?
Yep!

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?
Who was YOUR favorite character in Finding Carter, and why?
Are you as big a Disney fan as Nick, or did you have to research for the Disney references?
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

Name of story: Story of My Life by Carter-Orange (I don't know your actual name!)

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?This may seem a little weird, but Kevin.  He's the authority figure, but after seeing him get on the line for Nick in the last chapter I read, you can see that he really cares for his employees.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)I have no idea whether this is supposed to have a story woven in other than the day to day worklife or not?  I really have no idea how it will end.  Maybe with Friday?

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?I think the summary's fine.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? This really doesn't have anything to do with the story, but I was surprised by the amount of foul language in the story.  I know Nick is a bit of a potty mouth in real life, but there seems to be a lot.  Though, this may be real-life in her office! :)

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. It's pretty short.  I'd probably read to the end whether I liked it or not, honestly.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)Nope.  The writing is pretty solid. Just a couple little things that I noticed since I'm a member of the grammar police :), but nothing worth mentioning here.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? If this hadn't been a challenge story, could you see yourself expanding the plot to have a storyline other than the day-to-day work life?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:30:30 AM by emilo »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15