Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!  (Read 54803 times)

usako

Re: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2013, 10:29:20 AM »

Since I'm at chapter 14, I guess I'm halfway. lol

Name of story: Secrets Of The Heart

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?
Yes. Even though it's a suspence story, Julie has managed to leave here and there little clues about where the story might be going.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?
Strange but I'm loving all the characters and that's because Julie makes them realistic. They aren't perfect but she gives reasons why they're behaving like that. I guess that my favorite is Brian but only because he's the one I'm feeling more connected emotionally. But so far I've liked any characters. And yes, even Nick. lol

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)
I'll have an idea. As I said before, Julie left some clues here and there but they're not that easy to find. Especially with the way she planned to write the story, two different storylines that seem to convey to one common point.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?
I think it's perfect. It's intriguing and it makes you want to click on the story and read it.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?
No big surprises overall. I think that the big plot twists is in the rest of the story, right now it's a preparation of what has to come.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.
No, I think I will have still kept reading even if it wasn't a challenge. Maybe what would have stopped me long ago could be the AU factor but now I've come to love the AUs so... I wouidn't have stop.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)
None.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
Mh, I think I'll leave my questions after reading the whole story, just to avoid any kind of spoilers.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »

Thanks, Cinzia!  I'm really glad you're enjoying this one.  Your feedback on it means the world to me!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »

Thanks, Cinzia!  I'm really glad you're enjoying this one.  Your feedback on it means the world to me!

You're welcome.

If I could write in Italian, my reviews would be much longer and more detailed.  :D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »

You're welcome.

If I could write in Italian, my reviews would be much longer and more detailed.  :D

LOL Aww.  Feel free; I can always plug them into a translator to get the gist of it!
~Julie

usako

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »

LOL Aww.  Feel free; I can always plug them into a translator to get the gist of it!

An advice: just stay away from google translator.  :D :D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2013, 06:56:17 PM »

An advice: just stay away from google translator.  :D :D

Oh I know, they're bad!!  That's why I said "get the gist of it" because I know the translation will be terribly awkward! LOL
~Julie

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2013, 04:22:58 AM »

^ Thanks, Ritz! I think one of the reasons I chose all older stories for this challenge was to see how much I have grown from when I started to write all those years ago! I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)

You become so much better. I think you have mastered this craft. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2013, 08:57:49 PM »

You become so much better. I think you have mastered this craft. :)

Wow, that's a huge compliment. I am VERY far away from mastering the craft, but it's nice to know I'm going in the right direction! Thanks, Ritz!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

usako

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2013, 01:40:18 AM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: Secrets Of The Heart

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?
I guess it was leaving review. It's the main reason why I decided to do the challenge. Being a foreign reader, it's hard and difficult to put in words everything you want to say to the author while making it understable.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?
Definetely the former. Especially the last chapters, I couldn't stop reading.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?
Favorite scene, hands down, is when Brian hears his new heart beating for the first time. I don't have a favorite chapter, I loved every one.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?
At the end, Brian. Though I cried in the end, I think Julie did an amazing job showing the path that led him to his final decision. And you can not love him because he did it only to protect is son. Even from himself.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?

Mh... I don't have one really. I guess I'll go with Becci only for the reason that she never really believed Brian during his journey towards his last decision. I get why, she was only concerned about his husband. Still, a little support wouldnt be a bad thing. lol

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?
Given how it end, I don't think there is the chance of a sequel.

7) Were you happy with the ending?
Yes, I was. Julie said in the notes of the chapter that the ending was a downer but, as I said to her, I don't agree. It was the perfect ending for that type of story. Sad, very sad, but extremely realistic.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)
Aj as the killer. That I didn't really see it coming. And the end and how Brian died. I'm still shocked. lol

9) What was this stories biggest strength?
The unique and original storyline and how Julie has structured it.

10) What was it's biggest weakness?
I didn't find it.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?
I've already read some of her works and I definetely keep reading her stories.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?
As I said in one of my review, reading this story was like watching a movie or an episode of "Criminal Minds". It was packed with suspence and drama, the kind that makes you stay glued to the tv because you want to see how it ends and if your theory was right.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better?
It's my first challenge so... I love that, in the end, me and Julie ended up reading each other's stories.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback?
Yes, she did.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?
Yes, one question: How did you come up with the idea and its structure? I loved how you've planned it, with the two storylines that end up at the same common point.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2013, 02:26:42 AM »

Thanks so much for your feedback, Cinzia!  I enjoyed your reviews, and I had no problem understanding them.  I'm sure it's a lot harder for you to say what you want to say in English than it would be in Italian, but I really appreciated the effort you put in to your feedback.  Don't let that stop you from leaving reviews in the future; your English is great!

To answer your question... I got inspired to write in this "medical mystery" genre by a movie called Awake, about a guy who experiences "anesthetic awareness" while undergoing a heart transplant.  That's where the heart transplant part came from, anyway.  I've always been fascinated by the idea of organ transplantatio n, but I've written a couple of stories around that topic before, so I knew if I was going to do another one, I had to come up with a fresh take on it, and I also wanted it to have more of a suspense/mystery storyline than a typical medical drama.

At some point over the course of brainstorming, I thought, "What if, after receiving a new heart, Brian started experiencing visions or memories of his donor's life?"  It sounded cool, but far-fetched, but I did some googling, and whaddya know... it's a real phenomenon known as "cellular memory!"  Not scientifically proven, of course, but there are some pretty crazy stories out there that can't just be coincidence.  Once I found that out, I knew that was what I wanted to write about.

After that, it was just a matter of coming up with a storyline that would suit that premise well.  I figured the only point to Brian having visions of his donor's life would be if she had been murdered and he was using them to try to solve her murder and bring her killer to justice.  So then I had to think about how and why she was killed, and I sort of worked backward from there, until I had a story full of twists and turns and motives that made sense.

I knew I wanted to write it in a way that revealed them all in a certain order, and it couldn't be chronological without ruining the mystery, so I got the idea to jump between the two storylines and make them seem parallel to each other, not revealing that they were actually happening at two different times, months apart from each other.  I had to do some major outlining to figure out how to piece everything together in the right order; this is the only story I've ever outlined chapter by chapter, but it paid off in the end because everything came together!  I've never written a story quite like this before, so it was a challenge for me!  I'm so glad you enjoyed it - thanks again!! :)
~Julie

usako

« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2013, 02:48:13 AM »

Thank you for your reply. I never saw that movie so I'll probably go and see if I can find it because now I'm really interested.
It showed how much you've planned the story and that's one of the strongest point of the story. So, really, congratulation for the awesome job.  :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2013, 03:02:42 AM »

It's not really as good a movie as it sounds, but it's worth watching once.  Thanks you again! :)
~Julie

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2013, 04:51:05 AM »

Finally, I'm done with my first story.

Name of story: Four Santas Too Many

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? Nothing. Maybe finding time to read, I'm lucky I have internet access during lunchbreaks. :)

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? Looking forward as I enjoy the story so much.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? I have favorite scenes in almost every chapter but I'd go for the ending. Baylee having fun playing with his uncles on a christmas morning. That's really sweet.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Yes. Nicky is consistently funny from beginning to end.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? Leighanne is the only character who is not part of the Backstreet Boys, but even she plays an interesting character so I like them all. Ooops I forgot Baylee. :p

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? Yes! I am actually hoping there would be one.

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes. I love the ending.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) There's no big surprise but still every chapter makes you want to click the next button.

9) What was this stories biggest strength? The guys interaction. I love how a simple joke can turn the conversation into a serious one. The way the guys tease each other is so funny.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? None. It was written very well.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? Definitely. I love Mare more now. :)

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I really enjoy reading this one. It is worth half of my lunch break period. This is the kind of story I will read even when I'm not on a reading challenge. I am not the kind of reviewer that could provide feedbacks about writing in general as I am still a newbie on this field. But I am letting the author know that I really enjoy reading her story.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? The reading challenge this year is better.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yes. And I really appreciate that.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?
 Have you considered writing a sequel? Maybe still set in early 2000 and the gusy will surprise Nick? or maybe they'll play Santa for Ava. lol

A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2013, 05:20:06 AM »

Thanks so much, Ritz! I'm relieved you liked this one. I admit, I was worried to include this story for the challenge because out of all my stuff it's very different and just stupid & silly. Don't get me wrong, I've written a TON of stupid, silly one shots but never a full novel.

Now to answer your question, it's funny because everyone wanted me to write a sequel about the guys surprising Nick with a 'real' Christmas because I guess it did kind of seem like I set it up that way, but honestly, I've never had plans to write one and I most likely never will. I'm not sure how I would be able to do this story again, like with Ava for example, without it seeming like the same exact thing. I guess the possibility for a Nick one shot might exist, maybe for his next birthday story he can 'reminisce' about the time the guys gave him a proper Christmas or something lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2013, 05:23:53 AM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story: Four Santas too Many!

Person reading it: Ritz

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts?
I hoped she would like it. Knowing she had kids, I was also hoping that she would be able to relate.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you?
She was excellent with feedback and it was very helpful. I loved reading her reactions to the things going on and happy to know she thought it was funny. lol

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback?
No, but I might go back and read this one.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story?
Nope, I think she pretty much covered everything in her reviews. Thanks again, Ritz!

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one?
Very nice experience. :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15