Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!  (Read 54782 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2013, 05:45:33 AM »

Readers survey

Story:
  Secrets of the Heart

Person reading it:  Cinzia (usako/mamogirl)

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts?
I was glad Cinzia chose it.  I knew that she loves Brian and angst, and this story has both, so it actually seemed like something she would enjoy.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you?
Absolutely!  Cinzia left detailed reviews on every chapter with both her reactions to what was happening in the story and comments on my writing, which I really appreciated.  As far as I know, there are not many people who have read Secrets in its entirety because of the big gap between when it was started and when the majority of it was written, so it was really nice to get feedback from someone who read the whole thing in a week.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback?
Yep, I did end up reading it.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story?
I'm wondering how you felt about the pace of the story.  Did it move too fast or too slowly?  Were there any parts where it dragged or got boring?  Did the ending feel rushed?

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one?
I had a great experience!  Of the two stories I submitted for the challenge, I'm so glad that Secrets was chosen, and I think it worked out perfectly that it was Cinzia who chose to read it.  I appreciated her wonderful feedback, and I'm really glad she enjoyed the story!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2013, 09:41:11 AM »

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story?
I'm wondering how you felt about the pace of the story.  Did it move too fast or too slowly?  Were there any parts where it dragged or got boring?  Did the ending feel rushed?

I think it was good balanced. There were chapters that didn't add much to the storyline (Aj's proposal, for example) but weren't boring or slow. As for the ending, I didn't get that feeling: actually, the fast pace of it was what kept me reading and reading until it was finished because I wanted to know the truth.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »

That's good to know - thank you!!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2013, 05:57:04 AM »

Hey gang! It's check-in Saturday! :)

Once again it looks like everyone is doing a great job moving this challenge along. The goals I set last week for Ritz, Cinzia and Steph were all met with plenty of time to spare so yay to you guys!!

This week's goal is to have either both of your halfway done surveys complete (if you are alternating your reading) or one halfway done and one final survey completed (if you are doing one story at a time)

The people that still need to accomplish this are: Tracy and Erika

Tracy I believe you actually are past the halfway point on Cinzia's story but you just haven't filled out the survey.

So by next Saturday try to get that done both of you! :)

Happy reading everyone!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2013, 04:16:59 AM »

Thanks so much, Ritz! I'm relieved you liked this one. I admit, I was worried to include this story for the challenge because out of all my stuff it's very different and just stupid & silly. Don't get me wrong, I've written a TON of stupid, silly one shots but never a full novel.

Now to answer your question, it's funny because everyone wanted me to write a sequel about the guys surprising Nick with a 'real' Christmas because I guess it did kind of seem like I set it up that way, but honestly, I've never had plans to write one and I most likely never will. I'm not sure how I would be able to do this story again, like with Ava for example, without it seeming like the same exact thing. I guess the possibility for a Nick one shot might exist, maybe for his next birthday story he can 'reminisce' about the time the guys gave him a proper Christmas or something lol

Yes, I think you did. lol There was a part where the guys were talking about when did they found out that Santa wasnt real. Brian learned that Nick never experienced a visit from Santa and he said somthing like Nick will experience one in his mind. I actually waiting for that in the final chapter but I was not disappointed when it did not happen cause I absolutely loved the ending. :) A one shot about Nickwill be so much appreciated on Christmas. lol
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2013, 08:32:21 AM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Love Story by mamogirl

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?

-Not really, as I told her in a review, I am having trouble getting into the story because the chapters jump around. Her wriring is excellent so that makes up for this however.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?

-Brian, he is shy and unsure of himself, I can kind of relate to him.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)

-Nope lol not really....I suppose that Nick and Brian will end up living together and being serious as a couple.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?

-The summary is song lyrics...I think they sum up everything just fine.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observation

-She writes extremely well for someone whose first language is not English. i was very impressed.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.

-I honestly would have....the writing is great, the description is wonderful but I just don't read slash because I have a hard time picturing them being together like this, although it is an AU. It isn't anything personal, slash is just not my thing.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)  -There are some but because she doesn't use English primarily....I let the minor stuff go. Her writing is wonderful.

8) Do you have any questions for the authority in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?

-What made you get into writing slash and did you do any research for this story?

usako

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »

8) Do you have any questions for the authority in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?

-What made you get into writing slash and did you do any research for this story?

I've started writing slash because I've always loved Brian and Nick's relationship. Actually, Nick's frienship with Brian is the only thing that makes me like Nick. It's a little bit twisted, I know. lol But, maybe because I've came into the fandom really late (back in 2010), there weren't a lot of stories about their relationship. Most of stories are Nick's centered or about this original female character and the guys sort of rotate around her. I've never loved this kind of stories, I want to read about the guys and how they might deal with certains situations. The step from simply writing and writing slash is very simple: I do think that Brian and Nick would make the perfect couple ever! They're cute and having both of them as the main characters gives me the possibility to write only about them and the group.
Actually, I've never asked myself why I love slash. I suppose it's the same thing as asking someone "why do you write het?" At least, to me.

As for the research, yes. I did it. Aside from the cafeteria, I've researched most of the places that I used in the story. I even bought a tour guide of New York so I could be the most realistic possible. The "Frick" museum really exists (I laughed when I found it out!) and I've always had a map of Central Park, along with pictures from Google images, so I could know where to put the characters and move them around.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)

-Nope lol not really....I suppose that Nick and Brian will end up living together and being serious as a couple.

There's a drama in the future. I hope to have the chapters translated before you've finished the challange.  :)

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?

-Brian, he is shy and unsure of himself, I can kind of relate to him.

This Brian is a lot based on myself. Most of his insecurities are mine.

And, well, thanks for the compliments  :blushes: I'm always insecure when it comes to writing but with English I'm way more insecure because sometimes I've trouble with the order of words or the exact translation. Especially with slangs and American words. So, thank you :blushes:

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2013, 09:46:30 AM »

Yes, I think you did. lol There was a part where the guys were talking about when did they found out that Santa wasnt real. Brian learned that Nick never experienced a visit from Santa and he said somthing like Nick will experience one in his mind. I actually waiting for that in the final chapter but I was not disappointed when it did not happen cause I absolutely loved the ending. :) A one shot about Nickwill be so much appreciated on Christmas. lol

I will make that a goal of mine then! A Nick Christmas story that will tie in to that scene! lol :)

Of course this means I'll have to read it first lmao
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:49:41 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2013, 04:21:18 AM »

^ I will be looking forward to that. That would be a really nice christmas gift.  8-)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2013, 04:56:17 AM »

You might have to remind me though lol

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2013, 04:56:55 AM »

Halfway There Survey

When we collide by Carter-Orange

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes. the story plot is common but Steph has a different attack on this.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? Nick. He might be the mean boss from hell in this story but he's somehow showing a good heart. I would have chose the female character as well, but I don't like her name. The name reminds me of someone I will hate forever. lol

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) I have a feeling that this would have a happy ending but I am curious as to how Steph will bring the two together.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? Yes. It's a one liner but it says it all.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? The teasing part. lol As I've said before the plot is common but Steph has a different attack and I love those part when the two are teasing each other.... sexually. :)

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.  I would have.. because of the name of the female character, but then again, I know I would still give it a chance because steph is a great writer and I know her stories are good.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)
 None. It was written very well.
8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? None as of the moment.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2013, 04:57:30 AM »

You might have to remind me though lol

Don't worry. I will....  ;)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »

LOL Ritz, I couldn't even remember the character's name until I went back and re-read chapter 1. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: My Safest Place

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?
Primarily because it was a Kevin romance and female centered. Two things that tend to take me out of my reading comfort zone. I'm one to enjoy non romance Nick centered fics , but if I picked one of those, it wouldn't have really been a reading challenge lol

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?
Honestly, It felt like homework.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?

When Kevin was saying his goodbyes to the guys.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?

I think so

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?
Hands down, Nadine! She was too self involved and too much of an emotional train wreck to even consider volunteering at a hospice, never mind trying to date one of the residents!

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?

Not really, because I'm sure it would center around Nadine.

7) Were you happy with the ending?
I thought it had a very appropriate ending.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)
There really wasn't any big surprises

9) What was this stories biggest strength?

It was a great idea!

10) What was it's biggest weakness?
The over all execution of the idea.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?
No, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't read something else by Erika. She has admitted that this is one of her earliest works. I bet she has grown by leaps and bounds by now.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?
As I've told Erika, the premise behind the story was a great idea! You have a dying Kevin in hospice care and then this volunteer trying to learn the ropes on how to deal with that. The idea was one I hadn't really seen before played out in fanfic. Unfortunately, there were a lot of inaccuracies when it came to the hospice part of the story and the actual fact that Kevin was supposed to be dying, that it took away from the entire story itself. I found myself not being able to get over those details enough to want to enjoy what I think Erika's main objective of the story was. I think I would have enjoyed it more if instead of giving him this terminal disease, she had made him paralyzed or something. Knowing how much training real hospice workers/volunteers have and how people really are by the time they hit hospice care made this really hard to read at times. So, yes I think in the end, I would have maybe picked something else from Erika.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better?
I enjoyed both ways but I think it was fun to be able to pick and choose what to read and what to submit as well. 

14) Did the author respond to your feedback?
Not really. I felt like this was a very one sided thing which is why I stopped giving any detailed feedback.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?
Just wanted to say, I do apologize if this comes across as harsh, Erika. I definitely don't mean it to come off that way. Believe me as I was reading this, I wasn't sure if I was going to be honest or just kind of half ass my reviews and shrug it off. This was a challenge though, and I felt like in the end, I needed to let you know how I felt about the story as a whole. I have a ton of respect for you as a writer and I really am looking forward to reading something else from you at one point. I just hope the things I said were helpful to you, because that was and is my intention.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2013, 04:07:34 AM »

LOL Ritz, I couldn't even remember the character's name until I went back and re-read chapter 1. 

Notice how I call her Miss Bloom in my reviews? I couldn't even type her name! LOL  :crazy:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15