Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!  (Read 54795 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »

Notice how I call her Miss Bloom in my reviews? I couldn't even type her name! LOL  :crazy:

LOL, I don't know what made me pick the name, probably someone on TV at the time of writing as I don't have any friends with that name.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2013, 07:42:43 AM »

Name of story:  Seperate Ways

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?

- It wasn't really a huge challenge, except having to read it a bit at a time, not all at once like I would normally. I read it during work mostly early in the morning.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?

- I always look forward to reading Mare's stuff so it never felt like homework at all, I actually would finish my cleaning at work faster at night so I could have more time to read. LOL

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? 

-It's soo hard to choose but probably when Nick tackled Kevin and punched him because Kevin was being kind of a tool.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? 

-Yes he was :)

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? 

- John, and I am sure this was not a secret, he was a con artist and was not very nice to put it mildly. I didn't like him at all lol

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? 

- It would be interesting but the story is fine as a stand alone and doesn't need a sequel. However, if there was one written yes I'd read it in a heartbeat.

7) Were you happy with the ending? 

- No in the sense that it ended but yes because Nick and his brother finally came together with their mom as a family again, it was very sweet and everything came full circle.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)

- I was surprised that no female characters were maimed or injured as Mare usually doesn't like writing female characters ;)

9) What was this stories biggest strength? 

- Great storyline and characters, loved the original characters and the premise....des criptions were great too. It was awesome.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? 

- Nothing major, just minor grammar stuff but overall the story was perfect.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? 

- I have read maybe 80 percent of Mare's stuff and am about to start another one today, so yes of course I will!!

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?

Honestly I had intended to pick something by Mare from the very beginning as I haven't read many of her old stories, other than Mizpah and the sequels....but I wanted to read it because it had some things that I like and I always love how she writes Nick. I always have a good experience with the reading challenge so I wasn't worried this time around and I can't think of any other stories I would have chosen. I am really glad to have read Seperate Ways!

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? 

- I liked the pairings but I liked it better this year because you got to choose what story to read and it made things a bit more fun. I would continue to do the reading challenge regardless anyway.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback?

- Mare is always great at responding to feedback and I always look forward to her reactions after I react LOL. It makes reading and reviewing more fun and interactive for me when the author responds back, and I love getting them.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?

- I wish you still wrote Mare, would love another story to give me warm Kevin and Nick fuzzies haha but for now I'm having fun reading these old stories and getting to experience them :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2013, 08:04:18 AM »

Thanks so much, Tracy! I am still writing, just not the novels anymore. Who knows, maybe one day I'll pull a Twinkie and show up with one again! LOL Yes I am trying to make that a new expression! :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46:48 PM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Bound by Honour by Kevmylove

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? I've got to be honest, in parts it's a little confusing as there's a lot going on.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? Kevin, because he seems like a good guy, he's also the main character's police partner and seems like the kind of person who can be relied on.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) No idea! I'd like her to end up with Kevin as Alex is a womanising asshole who tells her he loves her and then dates other women!

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? I'm not sure it really fits what the story is about, maybe it means she's saying goodbye to Alex?  I hope she is anyway :)

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? No, not really.  I did like the family meal where all the secrets came out though.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. I'm sorry to admit that I probably would've stopped reading, which I hate to say because I'm usually such a big fan of Erika's romance stories.  The reason I say this is that it reads a little awkward in places during some chapters.  I don't know whether Erika was typing on her ipod or something, but the grammar isn't up to her usual standard in places either, but that's not a big deal.  Also the characters aren't likeable enough.  Maybe I'm comparing this story too much with the stories I love by Erika.  I don't mean to be negative and I hope you don't think I'm being that way Erika.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) There are some missed words and grammar errors in places, but other than that, I can't see anything that really stands out.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? I'll wait until I've finished reading before I ask anything, just in case it's answered within the story.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:11:18 PM by Carter-Orange »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story: Separate Ways

Person reading it: Tracy

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts?
I was excited that Tracy picked this story. I knew she'd probably enjoy it and I was eager to see what she thought.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you?
Tracy always leaves great feedback and gives a good blend of both concrit and talk about the actual story itself which is always helpful.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback?
I went back and read one of the chapters after Tracy said it was really sad and how everyone needs to feel loved.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story?
Not that I can think of. Her feedback was so precise there was really no confusion as that what she was thinking about the story at all.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one?
It was a really good experience! Thanks, Tracy!! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

usako

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »

Name of story: The Other Side Of Nick

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?
Yes. The plot is very easy to follow and, 'til now, there hadn't been so many twist or things hard to understand.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?
I've to say Nick but only because he's the main character and his point is the only one the reader gets to see. Though, even if he had appeared a few times, I think that Brian is going to be my favorite. He's standing by Nick's side, though he's worried.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)
My guess is that it's going to end with Nick finally meeting the evil ghost and fight against him.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?
I think the summary fits perfectly with the story so far.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?
Not much. As I said in one review, I would have loved to know a little bit more about Big Ben and his relationship with the guys.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.
I think I would have stopped. Mind, I love the idea and the story, it reminds me of "Ghost Whisperer" and I loved that telefilm! But I'm finding hard to get glued to the story because it's a Nick centered fic and I'm not a Nick girl. Secondly, it's told in first person and I'm not very fond of it.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)
Not that I know.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? I think I'm gonna leave my questions for the final survey. It already happened that I asked her something in a review and I got my answer in the next chap. LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2013, 07:44:05 AM »

Happy Saturday everyone!

Today is the halfway point of this summer's reading challenge! The summer needs to SLOW down! lol  :'(

Thanks Tracy for completing your task this past week! Gold stars are mounding up for you!  ;D

Since we are at the halfway point, everyone should also be at the halfway point in reading by now. Which means either completely done with one story or halfway done with both. Once again I am pleased to say, that everyone is right on point or even ahead of schedule.  :-*

Except you, Erika!  >:(

So the only person who has a goal this week would be Erika, if she ever comes in here to check that is! LOL  :shrug:

Erika: By next week you should have your second halfway there survey done for Emily's story or your completed survey done for Chris's story. You also have the readers survey to complete for My Safest Place, but I'd rather you read and review the other ladies instead if you are short on time for whatever reason.

Okay everyone else, just keep reading and reviewing!!

Also don't forget to drop in here and tell us your thoughts about the stories you read :)

See ya next Saturday!

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »

Thank you, Usako (I'm sorry, I dont know your real name) for the review. I apologize ahead of time cause the story will get slower and it is unfinished. This would be a homework for you.

I haven't been able to read these past few days. Ramadan has started and since we are not allowed to eat from 6 am to 7 pm (unless we are inside the house and no one can see us), our work hours has been reduced to half, which means no more reading during lunch breaks. But I will try to finish it before next saturday. Hopefully, Heath will sleep longer. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

usako

« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »

Thank you, Usako (I'm sorry, I dont know your real name) for the review. I apologize ahead of time cause the story will get slower and it is unfinished. This would be a homework for you.

I'm Cinzia.  :)

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2013, 12:37:55 PM »

^thanks. I've been following you on twitter. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

usako

« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »

^thanks. I've been following you on twitter. :)

I guess you're Ritz, right?  :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Falling In Love Again

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes, it's an easy read and flows really well, making me keep clicking that 'next' button.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? I like Annie, she's a working mother who's gone through some tough times over the past few years, but is doing the best for her little boy.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) Well, I'm hoping for a happy ending for Nick and Annie, but we shall see!

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? The summary fits it perfectly.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? Towards the beginning of the story, when Annie was talking about telling her husband about Brian's offer, I had no idea her husband was no longer alive. 

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. No, I wouldn't have stopped reading because I'm absolutely loving this story.  I think what's stopped me reading until now is the fact that I saw the words 'Christian music' in the summary.  Just goes to show how wrong I was to have overlooked this until now (I don't believe in religion).

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) Nothing that I've really noticed.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? What made you decide to write about her seeking a career in Christian music rather than say country, etc? 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »

Steph you're awesome! :)

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »

Yes, she is!  Thanks so much for reading, and for the compliments!

To answer your questions, there are a lot of reasons I chose to go with Christian music.  I had this idea in my head for Brian and Annie's "chance meeting" at church, and I imagined Christian music in particular as a common thread for the two of them to bond over.  In my happy little fanfic world, Brian didn't get all the backlash from the Christian music community for his support of the gay community (I, too, am pretty religious and a Christian-- we're not all that small-minded and judgmental).  So in the story, I imagined Brian being pretty influential in the Christian music industry (as he was at one time), and it seemed more likely that he would be able to get her into that industry than say, pop or country.  On top of that, I imagine the Annie character being more apt to pursue a singing career, particularly considering all her reasons for not doing so before if maybe there's more attached to it, a "higher purpose," so to speak.  On top of that, the female singer meets boyband member story has been done a lot.  I thought the Christian music angle made it different from the rest.

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2013, 08:34:56 PM »

Mare, I have to warn you ahead of time about my miss use of  tenses it might throw you off.I have a horrible time with that.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15