Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!  (Read 54797 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2013, 08:44:33 PM »

Thanks for the warning! It's nice to know you're aware of it though. Do you want me to point them out to you and help correct?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »

yes,please do thanks!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »

Sure thing! I'll see if I can help you out! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2013, 01:06:00 AM »

Yes, she is!  Thanks so much for reading, and for the compliments!

To answer your questions, there are a lot of reasons I chose to go with Christian music.  I had this idea in my head for Brian and Annie's "chance meeting" at church, and I imagined Christian music in particular as a common thread for the two of them to bond over.  In my happy little fanfic world, Brian didn't get all the backlash from the Christian music community for his support of the gay community (I, too, am pretty religious and a Christian-- we're not all that small-minded and judgmental).  So in the story, I imagined Brian being pretty influential in the Christian music industry (as he was at one time), and it seemed more likely that he would be able to get her into that industry than say, pop or country.  On top of that, I imagine the Annie character being more apt to pursue a singing career, particularly considering all her reasons for not doing so before if maybe there's more attached to it, a "higher purpose," so to speak.  On top of that, the female singer meets boyband member story has been done a lot.  I thought the Christian music angle made it different from the rest.

Yes, I think the church meeting is something different to what I've come across before.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2013, 01:51:26 AM »

I'm totally jumping in on your conversation, but since I just read Falling in Love Again too, I agree about the church meeting and Christian music thing - it was something different and fit Brian really well, better and more believable than having Annie being a country music artist or something.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2013, 05:59:31 AM »

Thanks!  I was really going for believability in this story-- to come up with a scenario that could feasibly happen in real life.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »

Yes, I think the whole Christian/church thing is a great way for a chance meeting with Brian.  I was even reading during my break in work today, so have a couple of chapters to leave reviews on as I wasn't logged in on my phone :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »

Figured I'd do another fun little survey to get people involved who may have been long done with this challenge.

1) What if anything is one thing you learned from doing this challenge?

2) Where you ever afraid to be honest?

3) Did you find it easy to give concrit?

4) Did you find it easy to TAKE concrit when given?

5) Did you tend to agree with most of the comments made?

6) Did you find yourself reading other challenge stories besides the one you originally picked?

7) If you could offer one suggestion for next year's challenge, what would it be?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: Falling in Love Again

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? It was no challenge at all as I loved it from start to finish. 

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? LOL homework? I couldn't hit the 'next' button fast enough at times!

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? I liked the build up to the kiss and then when they actually had that first kiss.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Yes, but I also really liked how Nick was written.  So I'd say I liked Nick and Annie equally.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? Lauren, she was a cold hearted bitch.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? Although I'm not a huge fan of sequels, if there's still some story to tell then I'm all for it.  I think there could be more to this, but if it's left as it is, I'm happy enough with the ending too.  So yes, what I'm trying to say is that I'd read a sequel if there was one.

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes, it was perfect.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) It was finding out that Annie's husband had died in a plane crash.

9) What was this stories biggest strength? Emily is a great story teller and her presentation and attention to detail is excellent. 

10) What was it's biggest weakness? It didn't have any weaknesses.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? Definitely!

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? My overall experience has been a fantastic one!  I really enjoyed the story and I think my reactions in my feedback showed that lol.  I'm so glad I had this as my challenge story.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? Either way, I don't mind.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yes, Emily responded to all the reviews.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? Can't think of any questions, and well done Emily, I loved your story and look forward to reading more of your stuff :)

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »

The sequel to this one is going to be a totally different beast.  I'm trying to challenge myself with that one.  But if you liked these character, I hope you'll like that too, whenever I actually start posting it! And Steph, you rock!  I promise I didn't pay her off to say any of those awesome things! LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: Bound By Honor

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? The fact that it was a police drama, I may like to watch it on TV but I don't usually read that kind of thing.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? At times it was more like homework if I'm being honest.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? When she finally gets together with Kevin.  I'd been hoping for that all along!

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Yes, it was still Kevin.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? Alex.  Not only was he just using Sophia for sex whenever he fancied it, but he was a cheater (he was engaged and still having sex with his adopted sister) and he was also a corrupt police officer by the look of things.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? I don't think I would as this one isn't even finished yet.

7) Were you happy with the ending? No, because the story is incomplete lol.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) I didn't see it coming that Brian was the father of his "sister's" child.

9) What was this stories biggest strength? I think Erika had a good idea with this storyline.  It's quite complex and has a bit of everything in it.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? Even though the idea for the story is a good one, sometimes I felt like the story jumped around a bit and left me confused.  Also I think it would've been better if they hadn't all been related, but rather just friends or something like that.  I still don't know if any of them were really related or adopted, but maybe it was explained and I forgot.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? I have already read a lot of Erika's other stories in the past.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? My experience of reading this story wasn't as great as I'd hoped it would be.  When I picked the story, I didn't realise it wasn't finished, or I would've picked something else.  I'm just wondering if it ever will be finished, or has it been abandoned.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? I don't mind either way.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? No, only the very first review I left.  

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? Do you plan on finishing the story?  What made you decide to write them as brothers and sisters rather than just friends or work colleagues?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:09:30 AM by Carter-Orange »

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »

Yay, I've finished the challenge :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2013, 11:22:39 AM »

YAY Steph! Congrats!! :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:12 PM »

Don't forget I put another survey in here for everyone to fill out :)

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »

1) What if anything is one thing you learned from doing this challenge?

2) Where you ever afraid to be honest?yep

3) Did you find it easy to give concrit?nope

4) Did you find it easy to TAKE concrit when given? sometimes but not always

5) Did you tend to agree with most of the comments made? yes I did

6) Did you find yourself reading other challenge stories besides the one you originally picked? no but I put some on my want to read later list

7) If you could offer one suggestion for next year's challenge, what would it be? Make it the same as this one lol

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:06:10 PM by carterkid »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15