Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!  (Read 54096 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2013, 06:55:22 AM »

(I'm not sure if I'm not part of the challenge anymore since it looks like someone else read my stories, but I never said I was quitting. I apologize to my readers for not being able to respond to your reviews, please don't think I'm ungrateful I just had a lot of drama and no time to be on my computer. As for the stories I'm reading I also apologize for taking so long but I signed up for the challenge and I will go through with it. Sorry once again.)

Since it had been so long since you had posted or read anything and I hadn't heard back from you when I sent you a PM, I had decided to ask Steph to read one of the stories since she was done with the challenge and I picked up carterkids. I didn't want to take the chance that you had just disappeared and leave them in the lurch because let's face it, when people flake on challenges, they usually don't bother to come in and tell is they quit. LOL

I'm glad you're still participating and I'm sure both Emily and Chris will love more input on their stories, consider Steph and I your back up.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2013, 06:57:15 AM »

Hey Mare,

All your feedback was helpful and also made me think that this could have been such a better story if I wouldn't have been in my teeny bopper days. I'm glad you liked the concept and Kevin in the story. I never saw Nadine the way you see her and yet now i do. UGH!!! Also at that point I did do research just not enough to make it all believeable. That's why I cringed and was happy at the same time when you picked it, luckily it's a much older story and I do believe I've grown as a writer.
I also want to apologize for not being able to respond to your reviews as I would have liked to. I'm sorry you felt like it was a one sided thing it wasn't my intention. I do hope that one day you give one of my newer stories a chance...just not Bound by Honor lol. I'm not offended by anything you said either. I appreciate any feedback especially if it's helpful. Thank you Mare.

You're welcome! And I will try something else of yours somewhere down the road, but I guess not Bound By Honor lol Glad to see you're back.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »

Hey Steph,

I actually did type most of this story up on my ipod and it just wouldn't work with me sometimes. Sorry about that. Yes, when I did reread this story I found it a bit confusing too and don't feel bad about the critic part because that helps me out.
I don't really know why I chose for all of them to be adopted siblings really, I guess at that moment I thought it would make it interesting and complex lol. As for the finishing it...this story is complete in my mind I just haven't had time or concentration to keep writing...whic h sucks. Thank you Steph for all the feedback and once again I apologize for not being around to respond to your reviews, you know I appreciate them greatly. :)

Hi Erika,

Yes, you certainly made it complex at times LOL.  I hope you find the time and motivation to carry on writing :)

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

(I'm not sure if I'm not part of the challenge anymore since it looks like someone else read my stories, but I never said I was quitting. I apologize to my readers for not being able to respond to your reviews, please don't think I'm ungrateful I just had a lot of drama and no time to be on my computer. As for the stories I'm reading I also apologize for taking so long but I signed up for the challenge and I will go through with it. Sorry once again.)

Final Survey

Name of story: Switch

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? It got a little confusing at times and the story was a bit too fast paced.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? The story is cute and it's a great concept, I will admit it was a bit like homework at first.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? Hmmm...I liked

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Yes, Kevin seemed to be struggling more with the switch then NIck.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? I didn't have a least favorite.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? I probably would.

7) Were you happy with the ending? The story isn't completed yet. But it did leave off on a cliffy.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) Nick in Kevin's body sleeping with Kristin lol. Wow!

9) What was this stories biggest strength? The concept

10) What was it's biggest weakness? Grammar

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I'm not really good at giving feedback where i try and tell someone what they have done wrong. But I tried with this story since some of the grammar, spacing and tenses were off. But all that is fixable and she has great concept and scene ideas. I'm glad I picked this one. 

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? In a way I like the pairing much more.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yes

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? As I said before you have good ideas and grammar is fixable Once I got through the first chapters I enjoyed reading your story. 

I'm glad you enjoyed reading  it.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »

1) What if anything is one thing you learned from doing this challenge?
To open myself up to some new ideas/genres.  I'd really never considered branching out of the romance genre until Mare mentioned she'd like to see my try my hand at it.  Also, I hadn't read much outside of the romance genre, and I did that both for the challenge, and for a couple stories I read as a result of the challenge.

2) Were you ever afraid to be honest?
At times, yes.  I'm relatively new here, so I wasn't sure at first how some comments would be taken.  I did give honest reviews, though.  Luckily, I had two pretty great writers to be reading.

3) Did you find it easy to give concrit?
Not really.  I could have been nit-picky about some things, but overall, I had two great stories, so what little concrit there was to give, I tried to do so very nicely.

4) Did you find it easy to TAKE concrit when given?
Yes.  I tended to agree with what concrit I got, and it also gave me an opportunity to respond and explain why I did things the way I did.  It was good.

5) Did you tend to agree with most of the comments made?
Yes

6) Did you find yourself reading other challenge stories besides the one you originally picked?
I read Mare's To Protect and Serve and it's sequel.  This was really out of my comfort zone as far as what I usually read, and I really, really enjoyed that experience as well.

7) If you could offer one suggestion for next year's challenge, what would it be?
I like the suggestion to include only stories with multiple chapters or make several one shots considered a "story."  Evens out the playing field, so to speak.

usako

« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »

Name of story: The Other Side Of Nick Carter

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?
Biggest challenge was to read a whole Nick - centered story. Usually, I can get through a story that has Nick as main character only if he interacts a lot with Brian. So, yes, that was the biggest challange.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?
Yes and no. Yes, it felt like homework because I had to push myself into reading because of Nick. But, whenever I started a chapter, I found myself keep reading because I liked the plotline and I wanted to know what was going to happen.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?
I'm a sucker for children's chapter so I have to go with Grace's story.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?
Yes, in the sense that I didn't want to kill Nick and make Brian the main character. LOL Actually, my love for Micheal kinda grew. I love villains and Ritz has done a wonderful job with his backstory that I felt for him.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?
I guess Kate. lol And good thing that she died! lol

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?
If Ritz intents to keep writing I'll keep reading. Since she hasn't finished yet, I don't how if she's already planning for a sequel or not.

7) Were you happy with the ending?
It's not complete so... not happy? lol I'm not happy that it's not finished, I wanted to read the epic battle between Nick and Micheal. (if it's going to happen)

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)
The biggest surprise was finding out that the "past" chapters were actually Nick telling and explaining Brian about his gift.

9) What was this stories biggest strength?
The background stories for the ghosts.

10) What was it's biggest weakness?
Lack of descriptions. But I'm a lover of descriptions.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?
Definetely yes.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?
I'm glad I picked up this story. Otherwise I wouldn't ever read it or keep reading it because too much Nick for my taste.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better?
I liked this way.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback?
Yes, she did.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?
I do hope that you're gonna finish it because I want to know how it will end.  :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »

Happy Saturday everyone!

I can't believe it's the last Saturday of July already, BOO!!

Great job to Cinzia and Tracy for finishing up the challenge this week! Gold stars abound! :)

This now only leave Ritz and Erika who need to complete this challenge.

Ritz you only have 3 more chapters to go of your story and Erika you have about 46. The good news is you have all the way until the end of August to do it!

Keep reading and I'll check back next Saturday!

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »

I just finished reading. Will post the answers to surveys tomorrow. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »

Yay! :)

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2013, 04:08:07 AM »

Name of story: When we Collide by Carter-Orange

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? The female lead's name. Honestly, I wanted to close the story right away when I saw the name. But since this is a reading challenge and I know Steph writes great story, I gave it a chance. :)

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? If I had the time, I would have finished it in one sitting considering it only have 21 chapters. I look forward to reading it .

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? The teasing scenes. lol And the Nick Carter Ice cream sundae. That's just wow. It shows how versatile Steph is as a writer.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Of course Nick. He was an asshole but Steph did a great job by telling his backstory in the early part of the story, it made you understand the character when he was being a jerk.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? Oops I think my answer to the number 4 question should be written here in number 5 and my answer to number 4 should be a plain yes. lol

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? yes. But I don't think there would be unless Steph would write about their marriage life and kids.

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes. It was a happy ending but I felt Steph could have wrote a few chapters more before ending. The reconciliation was too quick. I had a feeling the story shouldn't end yet but Steph had to end it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Steph.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) The teasing scenes. As I've told steph the romance plot about the mean boss and his staff has been written a lot before but Steph made this unique and interesting because of the way Miss Bloom ( I still cant write the name lol) and Nick teases each other... sexually.

9) What was this stories biggest strength? The unique way of how it was written. Steph could write a whole chapter of narration but it is not boring at all. She's gifted like that. :)

10) What was it's biggest weakness? The quick ending. I really wish it was not ended that quickly. I wish she wrote how the make-up sex happened. lol

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? Definitely

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I had a great time reading this story. Steph delivered more than what I expected.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? Actually, I don't mind how we will do it as long as there would be reading challenges every year. :)

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yes!

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? Was the ending the way you really planned it? I really felt that you had ended it quickly and there are some missing chapters between chapter 20 and the epilogue.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2013, 04:14:51 AM »

Readers survey

Story: The Other Side of Nick Carter

Person reading it: Usako/Mamogirl

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? That I hope she'll like it.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Yes, and I really appreciate her honesty. she pointed out some things that I was not aware of.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? Sometimes. I remember all the ghosts' stories but I don't remember how it was written. Like, when she said something was not clear, I read a few chapters related to that.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? None. I just want to thank her for her good reviews and feedbacks on the surveys. I appreciate the time she spent reading a Nick Centered story.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? A good one. I definitely look forward to the next year's reading challenge and hopefully, TOSONC is finished and I started a new story.

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2013, 04:59:26 AM »

Okay!! Got some reading done today. Wow that sounds like a lot but I'm so hooked that I doubt it will take me that long to finish.  ;D

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »

Thanks for the lovely reviews Ritz, and now that I look back at that story, I see that I did kind of end it suddenly.  I have no idea why I did that, and I see that I should've given it a better ending than I did.  Who knows what was going on in my head when I wrote it lol.  But despite it's disappointing end, I'm glad you still enjoyed it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »

What is the name that Ritz hates so much? And WHY do you hate that name, Ritz? lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story: When We Collide

Person reading it: Ritz

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I just hoped she'd like it.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Yes, Ritz was very good with feedback and I enjoyed reading her comments, even though I had to read the story back as I couldn't remember what I'd written :)

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? Yes, there was a lot I couldn't remember about this one, even the name of the main character!  

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? None that I can think of.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? The experience was great.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15